-
Status
Not open for further replies.

b5cuda

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Contact seller
Have a factory 16:1 manual steering box, looking for a 20:1 box OR just the worm gear. My box needs rebuilt, I'm OK trading for another in same condition. Thanks, Bill

I have a new 20-1 worm gear I was oing to put in a box this winter Whats wrong with the 16-1 box you can pm me.

sorry for slow reply guys, I'm on the road this week. I'm told the box came off a mid-60's high performance Dart. The box is now in my '68 Dart in Portland, OR. A very experienced Mopar mechanic friend drove it and told me it needs rebuilt - there's a couple of inches "slop" in the wheel and it doesn't return crisp after a corner. Box is spotless on the outside, haven't seen the inside. This car is for my daughter and I'm thinking she would be happier with a 20:1 so that's the way I want to go. Looking to trade for a 20:1 box (similar condition OK), or maybe swap for a new 20:1 worm gear and I'll rebuild the extra 24:1 box I've got on the shelf. Thanks,
Bill

If that 16:1 box's worm gear is shot, then the trade is useless to whomever gets that box since the 16:1 worm isn't available anymore. If your box needs rebuilding, why not simply get the 20:1 worm from Mancini and do it? At least that way, there's no chance of another member ending up with something useless.

Fair enough, I want 20:1 so I'll pull the 16:1 box and remove the worm gear to verify condition.

Did you happen to see what is wrong with the box that it needs building?

No, just took it apart enough to get the worm gear out. I've not rebuilt a box before so not really sure what the issue was. The worm gear looks like new - no rust or wear marks.

I gotchya. The factory Chrysler service manual is really comprehensive in the gearbox area. Mine gives step by step deestruckshuns on how to rebuild one. Is this your rock bottom price? I mean.....the 20:1 worms are a brand new MP piece. They are 175 from Mancini, plus shipping. That's a stout price to pay to trade for a 40 plus year old piece. I am interested.....but not at that price. Would also be willing to help walk you through a rebuild of yours. I've done a lot of them. That is....unless you just don't want the 16:1. It is a steep ratio, that's why MP introduced the 20:1.

I have another option for you as well. I have an extra manual steering box that's good. you could put your 16:1 worm in that.

I have a manual unit on my shelf, how do you tell what ratio it is?

Hey thanks for the offer to help, may take you up on that. I already have a spare 24:1 so no need there. This is for my daughter's car so that's why I am holding out for the friendlier 20:1 ratio. Hard to say what a 16:1 is worth... the only way to get there now is find a serviceable original or buy the Flaming River unit. I'm not looking to get rich, just want to end up with the right ratio. A friend looked at this worm gear today. He's been building cars for 50 years and said it looks great and feels smooth as silk. So think I'll hang on until someone offers to swap...

There is one more option. It's cheaper, but more labor. A steering quickener. It is a small intermediate gear box that installs between the main gear box and the steering wheel somewhere on the shaft. Some people mount um inside, some mount outside. You can get a 1.5 quickener which will pull a 24:1 down to a 16:1 for like 129 bucks with the couplers too. Just a thought.

IF there is some slop in the steering, Isn't there an adjustment to it, I had mine all apart and I remember adjusting it and it was better after that! It has been about 4 years since that but I am sure you can adjust them, maybe I am thinking of something else? Jared

Thanks for replies - no longer looking for a trade because I bought a 20:1 and rebuilt the box (very happy with it!). However, I have the 16:1 worm assembly on the shelf and would consider selling. PM if interested. You're right Jared, there is adjustment on the manual steering box. But that wasn't the issue in my case - it was a loose coupling. The 16:1 worm gear and internals were in good condition but I switched anyway because this is my daughter's car and she wasn't liking the 16:1 manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back