16:1 manual steering

-
Anyone have real drag racing experience with a 16:1 manual box? I read some prefer the factory 24:1 but I'm street strip set up and trying to make a decision between the two PST ratios.

I haven't been to the strip yet with my 16:1 manual, mostly on the street, but have made a few "closed course only, do not attempt" :rolleyes: acceleration runs. 195-70R14 and an iron-headed big block up front. It's great on the street - feels like driving a go-kart and the occasional moderate effort during parking is worth it.

Hope PST will come out with a 20:1 box to split the difference between the 16:1 and 24:1. I have the Flaming River 16:1 box with a small block and 19565R15 front tires. It's a ***** to turn backing out of the driveway with a stick. I'm about 230lbs and it's becoming a bit much. Simply not enjoyable to drive. I actually prefer the 24:1 factory box's feel but the front wheels jump all over the place whenever I hit a bump whereas the Flaming River box stays straight. I'm gonna try to set the caster to factory specs as I have tubular upper control arms with more caster built in. Although I haven't been to the track I have made a number of full throttle pulls up to 3rd gear with the 16:1 box and no issues.

It's a ***** to turn backing out of the driveway with a stick. I'm about 230lbs and it's becoming a bit much. Simply not enjoyable to drive.

I must be missing something... what does the stick have to do with it? Most of us don't have more than one reverse gear, so aren't both hands on the steering wheel if you need more strength while backing up anyway?

(Although I did put a brownie in my '65 flatbed... it's neat to be able to upshift twice in reverse) :D

I must be missing something... what does the stick have to do with it? Most of us don't have more than one reverse gear, so aren't both hands on the steering wheel if you need more strength while backing up anyway?

(Although I did put a brownie in my '65 flatbed... it's neat to be able to upshift twice in reverse) :D
Come to think about it, having a stick doesn't make it more difficult. I guess since "I" have a stick it seems like it is. Lol.

I bought one and just put it in today. I was shocked that I could barely turn it! Did I miss some post shipping adjustment? I don't mean to hijack the original post.

I bought one and just put it in today. I was shocked that I could barely turn it! Did I miss some post shipping adjustment? I don't mean to hijack the original post.
Sitting still and trying to turn the steering wheel will take lots of effort, especially if you have wide tires. If you bought a new or rebuilt box, you shouldn't have to adjust it. Hard to say on a used one.

Sitting still and trying to turn the steering wheel will take lots of effort, especially if you have wide tires. If you bought a new or rebuilt box, you shouldn't have to adjust it. Hard to say on a used one.

It's brand new and it's not even hooked up to anything. Just bolted to the k member. I put the Pittman arm on partially and tried to turn it and it is hard to do. The old one I can turn with 2 fingers. The screw on top is turned in quite a bit compared to the old one too. The old 23:1 box is actually in good shape. Just wanted a quicker ratio.

It's brand new and it's not even hooked up to anything. Just bolted to the k member. I put the Pittman arm on partially and tried to turn it and it is hard to do. The old one I can turn with 2 fingers. The screw on top is turned in quite a bit compared to the old one too. The old 23:1 box is actually in good shape. Just wanted a quicker ratio.
You're trying to turn the box with the steering wheel and column, or, with the pitman arm?

I have a 16:1 ratio Flaming River box in my Duster. 18x9” fronts with 275/35/18’s and +6.5* caster. It’s great once you’re going 15 mph. Parking lots aren’t terrible, parallel parking isn’t fun at all but it is possible if you set yourself up right. It’s my daily driver, so it can definitely be done. I’m sure not everyone would like it, but I think it’s great 98% of the time and it’s manageable the rest of the time.

Just curious.....what sort of effort do you think it would have with say a 215/60 14 and stock caster settings?

hook it all up and drive it. that's the only way to decide. i love mine, dead nuts on center. other than the "when your stopped it sucks" that you get with any manual steering, it's great. also, i don't think you should be comparing the boxes based on how the adjuster screw is sitting, each one needs it's own setting

there was a thread on here awhile back on the PST boxes , some were not adjusted properly and needed readjustment . i think the problem was they were adjusted way to tight .

there was a thread on here awhile back on the PST boxes , some were not adjusted properly and needed readjustment . i think the problem was they were adjusted way to tight .

I recall seeing that as well, they were leaving PST with the adjusters cranked down.

Just curious.....what sort of effort do you think it would have with say a 215/60 14 and stock caster settings?

With a 16:1 box? Shouldn't be that bad. The steering effort below +5° of caster is significantly better than what it is at +6.5°. But it's all relative, I've heard guys with similar set ups as that complain about the manual steering. Meanwhile compared to my set up that would be a piece of cake.

I recall seeing that as well, they were leaving PST with the adjusters cranked down.

With a 16:1 box? Shouldn't be that bad. The steering effort below +5° of caster is significantly better than what it is at +6.5°. But it's all relative, I've heard guys with similar set ups as that complain about the manual steering. Meanwhile compared to my set up that would be a piece of cake.

I've got a lot of upper body strength and regular manual steering has never bothered me one bit. In fact, I think it's funny I sometimes see guys on here bitchin about how hard their stock car is to steer with manual steering. I just chuckle. Thanks for the response.

72blunblu is that the adjuster on top or the front? Looking for my manual right now.

If adjustment is necessary all that we ask is that you follow the adjustment procedure as outline in the factory service manual. This will not void a warranty.

Just to clear up some information all boxes that we ship out go out adjusted and ready to install. We have sold 184 of these boxes this year alone and if you do a post search you will see that only 2-3 boxes have needed adjustment from customers once receiving. If there is an issue with a product that we offer we will stand behind it and get the issue corrected. Please feel free to pm with any questions or concerns

Thanks
James From
PST

If adjustment is necessary all that we ask is that you follow the adjustment procedure as outline in the factory service manual. This will not void a warranty.

Just to clear up some information all boxes that we ship out go out adjusted and ready to install. We have sold 184 of these boxes this year alone and if you do a post search you will see that only 2-3 boxes have needed adjustment from customers once receiving. If there is an issue with a product that we offer we will stand behind it and get the issue corrected. Please feel free to pm with any questions or concerns

Thanks
James From
PST

Thanks James. I just left a VM for a tech there.

I've got a lot of upper body strength and regular manual steering has never bothered me one bit. In fact, I think it's funny I sometimes see guys on here bitchin about how hard their stock car is to steer with manual steering. I just chuckle. Thanks for the response.

Growing up on a farm and driving a super m farmall , and 1941 massey , makes driving a manual car a piece of cake --------------------

I got a 16:1 and I could barely move it on the bench by hand. PST said I could adjust, but I opted to buy another and send the other back. Second was perfect.

I also electric steering from a 2009 Corolla. It's just right. Haven't driven it around town, but just in the driveway.

Just talked to PST. They said to make any adjustments according to the service manual.

Plumkrazee I would like to PM you. This was my thinking as a future mod (electric steering).

-
Back