16:1 vs 24:1 steering

-
I know, and it’s 1.5 turns. But I will check again tomorrow.

1 complete revolution of the steering equals 1 turn?

Not 1/2 a turn of the steering wheel? Cause if you do 1/2 turns, then you get 3.5 turns lock to lock.

1 complete revolution of the steering equals 1 turn?

Not 1/2 a turn of the steering wheel? Cause if you do 1/2 turns, then you get 3.5 turns lock to lock.

360* is one turn.

Then right now it’s 1.5 lock to lock.

I've got a few hundred miles on a manual 16:1 box now and it's a bit much in a parking lot.

I understand that alignment specs can impact stopped/steering effort...but as mine sits, is a bear. I'm not a small guy and I stay in shape...and I'd hate to have to make an emergency K-Turn! I'll live with the 16:1...it's not un-drivable but if I could do it over again, I'd go 20:1.

id put it on the ground and check it again. I think you may not be getting the full turns with the suspension unloaded in the air

Having the suspension unloaded should not make any difference. Just makes it easier to turn.

Last edited:
I just checked the steering and I was wrong.....it’s damn near 2 turns lock to lock. Suspension is newish (maybe 10 miles). I do need an alignment, but it’s not that far off that it would affect steering lock to lock. I can take a video of it and send it to someone to post.

Well, I sure do feel pretty damn stupid. I wasn’t checking lock to lock the right way. I was counting the revolutions of the steering wheel from center to either direction. So when it’s at full lock, I get 3.5 turns to the opposite side. Total brain fart on my end.

16:1 in a manual steering box makes people get moist even though most will never use it, and is the subject of much chrome plated eBay shoppin'.

16:1 in a power steering setup is for losers and pussies that didn't realize you could buy it in a manual gear box for Popeye forearms. Not available chrome plated yet.

-
Back