160 Thermostat

-
same as any other mopar thermostat... just got to the part store and buy one of the Mr. Gasket ones or call summit...

I would recommend you don't use one. A 180 is a much better one to use. A 160 won't allow the engine to get to full operating temperature. This causes poorer fuel economy, sludge buildup, accelerated engine wear, and a worthless heater. If you have a cooling system problem, find out what it is and not just put a bandaid on it.

I would recommend you don't use one. A 180 is a much better one to use. A 160 won't allow the engine to get to full operating temperature. This causes poorer fuel economy, sludge buildup, accelerated engine wear, and a worthless heater. If you have a cooling system problem, find out what it is and not just put a bandaid on it.

but a cooler engine produces more power.

I wouldn't install a 160 in mine. The 160 doesn't let the coolant stay in the block long enough to absorb the heat. Long story but I have tried all three 160,180, and 195 and the 195 worked better than any of them on the keeping the temps down. I know....... its hard to believe. It ran better also in normal day driving.

I wouldn't install a 160 in mine. The 160 doesn't let the coolant stay in the block long enough to absorb the heat. Long story but I have tried all three 160,180, and 195 and the 195 worked better than any of them on the keeping the temps down. I know....... its hard to believe. It ran better also in normal day driving.

what radiator and also what is your outside air temp vs engine?

A 160° thermostat is a poor choice unless your goal is to reduce fuel economy and increase oil contamination and resultant engine wear. If that's what you're trying to do, by all means use a 160°*thermostat

well I can see what points you guys are making, and im sure their valid, but this southern texas heat is hard as hell on these older rides that havn't been rebuilt and flushed during a rebuild. I've used 160 thermostats on damn near hot rod project ive had down here, and usually operating temp stay right about 185-190, and im quite comfortable with that.

A 160° thermostat is a poor choice unless your goal is to reduce fuel economy and increase oil contamination and resultant engine wear. If that's what you're trying to do, by all means use a 160°*thermostat

you have to remember that down here Dan its not snowing year around.... its been in the 100's for the last couple of weeks... i cant keep my motor down below 200 driving around...

well I can see what points you guys are making, and im sure their valid, but this souther texas head is hard as hell on these older rides that havn't been rebuilt and flushed during a rebuild. I've used 160 thermostats on damn near hot rod project ive had down here, and usually operating temp stay right about 185-190, and im quite comfortable with that.

i wish i could get it to stay @ 195 lol

i run a 180* in mine here in las vegas, it stays at about 185-190 even on the hottest days (110-115 outside). too cold and you wont burn all the fuel in the cylinder. you also have to remember that if the coolant dosnt stay in the radiator long enough it wont have a chance to cool back down.

I guess I learn something late at night and will be ordering the right thermostat to keep my engine nice and cool. I hope i didn't read the info wrong

195 - great thermostat, keep coolant in the radiator longer so it can cool down

180 - also an excellent thermostat

160 - bad thermostat, coolant doesn't stay in radiator long enough to cool, fuel consumption

805moparkid: does the thermostat choice depends on the size of radiator as well?

Thanks

I guess I learn something late at night and will be ordering the right thermostat to keep my engine nice and cool. I hope i didn't read the info wrong

195 - great thermostat, keep coolant in the radiator longer so it can cool down

180 - also an excellent thermostat

160 - bad thermostat, coolant doesn't stay in radiator long enough to cool, fuel consumption

805moparkid: does the thermostat choice depends on the size of radiator as well?

Thanks

i dont know thats what im trying to figure out lol... and for the 5 bucks it costs to switch them out im game to see!

its 113 here in AZ so this is as good of time to test as any...

-
Back