170 motor

-

petkos

Reaction score
I have a 63 Plymouth Valiant with a 170 motor in it. I discovered recently that the exhaust manifold broke from age in 2 places. My questions are: Will a 225 head bolt up to a 170 motor so I could use a header? I read a bit about others talking about stroke difference in the engine. Whats this mean?

If not then who makes a 170 header to go with the new intake manifold that I plan on using?

I read here about using a 4bbl intake vs a 2 bbl intake for the economy feature of the 4bbl not working all the time. This makes total sense.

Sorry for the simple questions but I come from a diesel background and this is my 1st foray into gas cars in 30 years

Cheers,

peter

All slant six heads are the same, and sorry to say there is not a header made for the low deck /6 (1'' shorter block, A 170 does real good with a bigger exhaust, go with a 2 1/4 down pipe and exhaust and remove the VERY small exhaust that is on these /6 engines. I split mine (a member here did for me) and I have ran them for 4 years, I ran a 2 to 1 exhaust and love it, 23 mpg and it can get out of it's own way, fresh air and a good tune.

Wecome to this great site Peter :cheers:

Attachments

• 1976%20Plymouth%20Volor'E%20EBAY%201%20027.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20033.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20029.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Challenger%2520IN%2520NASCAR%2520Cup%2520race%2520017.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 135
will a 225 head bolt up to a 170 motor so i could use a header? I read a bit about others talking about stroke difference in the engine. Whats this mean?

Peter

It means when they needed a larger engine than 170 cubic inches, and were stuck with a very small bore engine, the only opportunity for them to have an engine with significantly more torque and horsepower, was to increase the displacement by increasing the stroke... A bunch!

The 170 has a 3. 1/8-inch stroke. Its big brother, the 225, was stroked one full inch (out to 4 1/8-inch) which netted ma mopar a 1/3-larger engine with the only external difference being a 1-inch taller block.

Everything else stayed the same.

The by-pass hose that goes from the water pump to the head is noticeably longer on the 225; that is the only easy way to tell which engine you have.

Unfortunately, the location of the exhaust ports is now higher up, since the block is taller, so the header that fits a 225 won't fit a 170.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, I need to get me a 225/6 built and have it ready, but I think this 170 is going to last forever Bill, it's going to be hard to remove my iddy bitty 170/6 while it is running like a kitten.

Yes, I need to get me a 225/6 built and have it ready, but I think this 170 is going to last forever Bill, it's going to be hard to remove my iddy bitty 170/6 while it is running like a kitten.

Memike, if you're waiting for that 170 to expire, you may be in for a long wait... LOL!

If fact, it may outlive you...

But, just think of the fun you're missing by not having 300+ horsepower on tap to play in traffic.... :)

Food for thought...:coffee2:

If you don't want the 170 I'll take it! I promise I'll give it a good home, in a 62 Valiant with an a833od behind it!:prayer:

-
Back