17inc rims fit 70 Dodge Dart

-

BS67401

Reaction score
So I'm looking at getting some 17inc rims for my 1970 Dodge Dart ive seen a few people in the tire and rim post have 17 on there car but was wonder if the stock suspension it goin to work ok with tha 17 any information wood be great

Use the search bar in this forum. People have used mustang wheels (17).

Edit:

Seen you edited your post saying you looked. I'm pretty certain at least one of those cars has a stock suspension.

I've got 18's on mine with stock suspension. It's not a big deal. Measure your car up and find the wheel with the appropriate backspacing/offset. Be weary on the front, fitting a 17 x 9 can be difficult as it may hit the tie rod.

use 20's and 30 series tires....215/30R20 is only 8mm taller than a 195/70R14 stocker and just a little fatter. you can use this to play with tire sizes. http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/

I would try looking for 17 x 8" wheels and fitting a 245/45/17. That should be well balanced on all 4 corners and there are lots of tire options. 20's are going to give you a very short sidewall and you will feel every bump, nook, and cranny. Also, 20" wheels are heavy.

This is a superior tire calculator IMO...

http://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Thx this site is awesome and you guys are very helpful thxs a lot so what I found out by running around town two tire shops quote it me for 4 17 inc replica rims and tires 245/45/17 for round 1340.77 and the other shop for 1689.00 17 by 7 rims and 235/40/17 at work someone over heard me talkin bout rims and tires and said that they have some 15 American Racing Wheels 15 inc rims AR136 Ventura Machined Polished Rims and tires for 750 so that tempting for the price one shop said that there is no off set on my car and I will look for 17 by 8 rims

If you want to run 245's you will absolutely need offset on the rims you buy, zero offset rims will not work with that width tire.

MuuMuu's right on for a stock suspension car, a 17x8 on all 4 is about as big as I would go. Because you've got a Dart the widest you'll be able to run in the back is a 245mm wide tire. A 245/45/17 is pretty much the best you're going to do out back. That tire will also fit up front, so you could run the same rims/tires all the way around and be able to rotate your tires.

To do that though you'd need a 17x8 with 13mm to 20mm of offset, or 5 to 5.25" of backspace.

Since you're talking about a '70 Dart though, do you still have the small bolt pattern? Because 17" rims with the 5x4" SBP are not that easy to find.

The one shop was tellin me my bolt pattern might be 5x4 101.6 so that's worrying me a lil I'll just bring a rim down to the shop b4 I order em 0.8mm difference per hole is what a web site was sayin so might get calapers out and see if I get different then 4.5

Do ur tire rub when u turn at all ? And the will wood brak kit I'm ordering says it will put a Hub Offset +.20 so the rims I order wood I order them with a +.20 offset sorry if I'm askin to many questions it just a lot of money for the rims and tires and wanna make sure I get all this right thxs agin guys

If you want to run 245's you will absolutely need offset on the rims you buy, zero offset rims will not work with that width tire.

MuuMuu's right on for a stock suspension car, a 17x8 on all 4 is about as big as I would go. Because you've got a Dart the widest you'll be able to run in the back is a 245mm wide tire. A 245/45/17 is pretty much the best you're going to do out back. That tire will also fit up front, so you could run the same rims/tires all the way around and be able to rotate your tires.

To do that though you'd need a 17x8 with 13mm to 20mm of offset, or 5 to 5.25" of backspace.

Since you're talking about a '70 Dart though, do you still have the small bolt pattern? Because 17" rims with the 5x4" SBP are not that easy to find.

Thx for that info man I'm kinda new with this offset with tha rims and tires it new to me i really wood like to not have to use a back space but if I do I will :D

If you haven't swapped your brakes and axles, your bolt pattern is 5x4", that was the standard bolt pattern for '72 and earlier A-bodies.

And I wouldn't buy any wheels yet if you're also planning on swapping the brakes, because that will change the offset you need. If your brake kit adds .20", that means you'll need to add .20" to all of the backspacing numbers I suggested above for the front wheels.

These guys can answer most your questions, they know there stuff. Even if they don't show you bolt pattern or backspace asked because they might be able custom drill them for you. I've heard they can have long back order times so if you do order from them, make sure they in stock, ready to ship.

http://www.coyswheel.com/index.html

If you haven't swapped your brakes and axles, your bolt pattern is 5x4", that was the standard bolt pattern for '72 and earlier A-bodies.

And I wouldn't buy any wheels yet if you're also planning on swapping the brakes, because that will change the offset you need. If your brake kit adds .20", that means you'll need to add .20" to all of the backspacing numbers I suggested above for the front wheels.

I agree. Figure out what bolt pattern you have. If you're going to install a brake kit, do that first. Then measure everything multiple times before even thinking of purchasing a wheel and tire combination.

Sorry havent been on in a few days peerless tires told me 3 3/4 back spaceing on the front and back rims 17x7 rims there replica brand rims there 5 spoked rims with 245/45/17 tires was goin to order em to night but showed him a pic of my stock rim wit a ruler on it to show him the bolt pattern and im goin bring in stock rim to verify the patter befour we order them he said the .20 differnts with the new front disk brake kit shouldn't make a big difference with the rims and tires im goin to order asap the frist picture is me holding the ruler the snd one it the 4inc bolt pattern a guy traces for me to compare it

Attachments

• 20151101_145334.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 649
  • 20151101_144631.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 613
I just want it to aay thank you to all u guys for all this info lots of help I check out those web site they got some nice rims my local peerless shop priced for rims and tires lugnuts 1340.00 which the few site I was lookin at online was 300 just for shipping seen so hopefully staying local will pay off just hope all fits and gose well will post pic asap

Woah... Hold your horses there. As said before, measure from the side of the STUD to the center of the next STUD. It looks like you've got a 5 x 4" bolt pattern which means your wheel options are limited. I'd go with Coy or Show Wheels. But that's going to limit you on the front for sure and depending on what rear end you have, in the back as well. I think the best you'll be able to do is a 215/45/17 up front with a 17 x 7 and a 245/45/17 out back with a 17 x 8" (pending rear end information). As I tell everyone, measure up your individual car multiple times. Each car is different and tolerances are all over the place. My 8 3/4 is offset by like 0.5" to one side due to factory tolerances.

http://www.coyswheel.com/coys.html

http://motechperformance.com/shop/

It still got tha stcok rearend pretty sure its tha 7 1/4 rearend if im right im going to bring my stock rim with me when I order so they can measure it there at the tire store so I know it will have the right bolt pattern he pulled ou the book and it came up with a 4 3/4 back spaceing dose that not sound right I measured behind the brakes on the front and had bout 7 1/2 inc of room and the top of the fender to the outer fender was bout 15inc on room now from the front fender had 12 inc of room so I was fingering bout a 4.5 backspaceing so 4 3/4 didnt seem to me to be all that off but he said it wood be 4 3/4 on the rear too ill hold off tonight on ordering them to see what you have to say im new with this got lots of info from you all on this forum cant say thanks enough i really just dont wanna be order the wroung thang im sorry if im makeing this difficult or any thang tire shop did say they will make sure they fit befour the mount the tire so if we do gotta send tha rims back and get different ones which kinda helps

Can anyone comment on what is an optimal offset for the 67-69 darts? From the threads I have read it seems a 10mm offset is a good size if your not going for huge wheels and tires. Im thinking about a 17*7 with 215 45 17 and 18*8 with 225 45 18 in the back with a 10mm offset on both. Anyone have thoughts?

-Dont mean to hijack the thread with this, BS67401`s wheel combo is pretty similar to what Im thinking.

Can anyone comment on what is an optimal offset for the 67-69 darts? From the threads I have read it seems a 10mm offset is a good size if your not going for huge wheels and tires. Im thinking about a 17*7 with 215 45 17 and 18*8 with 225 45 18 in the back with a 10mm offset on both. Anyone have thoughts?

-Dont mean to hijack the thread with this, BS67401`s wheel combo is pretty similar to what Im thinking.

Have you converted to LBP 5x4.5"? This will change everything.

Have you converted to LBP 5x4.5"? This will change everything.

The rear end is a stock 7.25 with 5*4.5, the axle shafts have been changed or the whole rear end is from a different car Im not sure. Assumed it would not make a difference..? I guess Im totally wrong with that? Front still has 5*4. My plan is to have some spacers and adapter spacers machined to specification so I need to decide on the offset.
The problem is that I have no access to the car and cant measure..

I have 17inch all the way around. 4 inch back space. 215/ 50s on the frt and 245 / 50s on the rear. The frts just touch inner frt lip of fender when strg is cranked all the way. No way i can go wider on the frt back possibly a bit more with a spacer . Sorry bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 and im far from a expert on this. Just posting

I have 17inch all the way around. 4 inch back space. 215/ 50s on the frt and 245 / 50s on the rear. The frts just touch inner frt lip of fender when strg is cranked all the way. No way i can go wider on the frt back possibly a bit more with a spacer . Sorry bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 and im far from a expert on this. Just posting

Thanks, are you running 7 or 8 inch rims?

Here ar my pics of my car finelly got my rims and tires and adapter and brakes on thx for all the info

Attachments

• 20151211_104457.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 445
  • 20151211_104447.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 20151211_104432.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • 20151211_104416.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 563
  • 20151123_165920.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 421
-