18 days, 17 states, fresh 69 Dart Convertible

-

71autoxr

Reaction score
Ever had the thought to take a fresh rotisserie restored 1969 Dodge Dart GT convertible on an around the country trip? I did. And I am.

In 4 days I'm going to drop the top and drop the hammer heading east from Phoenix, to Connecticut and back. I'm going to cover 17 states in 18 days and probably 6,000 miles. Current plans have me in Dodge City Kansas, Hudson IA, Woodbury, CT, Hershey, PA, VA Tech, Nashville, DFW area and a few other stops along the way.

As an added bonus, my 11 year old daughter is riding along with me. I told my daughter that she can plan how we get back to AZ and what we can see along the way (think National lampoons Vacation!!!).

If you're in CT I plan on cruising the car on the Berlin turnpike Saturday July 28th, just like I did back in the day. I've got the bright idea to cruise with the top down through south manhattan on Sunday morning the 29th with a possible trip through long island to take the ferry back to CT.

Other highlights are entering the founders day parade in my wifes small Iowa town with my wife's family. I'm so glad that I've got the ability to take this trip, have my daughter travel with me and cruise this great country nearly sea to shining sea in a cool, 43 year old, convertible 4 speed Mopar with a/c to boot.

It's has taken 5 years to build the car and like ever car out there mine has a special story. It belonged to a high school classmate (post high school) who was killed in an auto accident (not with the Dart). He never got to see the Dart completed. So I've completed it, and it's going back to see his family.

I've had a post on the build in the members restoration if you want to suffer through 5 years of my life:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=110061

otherwise I've set up a blog to chronicle the trip. member Hotwheelsjr , is co-piloting the first leg so I'll expect he may make updates here as time progresses.

I've got some things to do before the trip, but wanted to share the trip with you all by posting the blog link. Please don't think less of me if over the next 3 weeks I do not have a chance to post or answer questions here. I'll be a little busy enjoying the USA.

http://johnjdolan.blogspot.com/

Here is an obligatory picture to get you excited:
work.jpg

While you're in Hershey, remember the AACA Antique car museum. I haven't been yet, but since you'll be there, its probably worth the stop. I think they make Hershey bars in Mexico now, so the "factory tour" is little more than a slide show and museum exhibit ( at least it was last time I went), so that might not be worth the time. If you'll be in the Washington, DC area, the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport in Chantilly, Virginia is worth the trip if you want to see a space shuttle, the Enola Gay, an SR-71 Blackbird and some other great forms of air transportation. I haven't been to Virginia Tech since about a year after I graduated back in the 80's. I know I wouldn't recognize the place since the area has grown so much over the years. Have a great trip! Maybe your daughter will let you hit the Mopar Nationals or the Woodward Dream Cruise (and the Chrysler and Ford Museums) on the way back.

Hudson, IA. is about 40 miles NE of me. If you have problems and in need of 69 dart specific parts I may have it. When is the founders day parade, might have to come and check it out.

Sounds like an incredible and awesome trip ahead for you and your daughter.. Keep us posted on during the trip

Now that's what I'm talking about! What a beautiful car. That will be an amazing experience for you as well as your girl. I'm really jealous! Just this past weekend I drove my swinger to Denver and back. It was a blast!

Jim 68cuda my daughter likes the milton hershey story so she planned a stop there. Undecided on the factory tour but i did know they dont make them there.

Hudson days is saturday july 21. C'mon down. After the parade ill be right across from the water tower!!

Sounds like an awesome trip! It goes without saying keep a stash of things in the trunk to get you up and running again in the event issues come up, or some AAA coverage...it is one thing to be stranded on the side of the road, quite another to be stranded with your 11 year old daughter as well.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/roadside.html

Safe travels, enjoy making memories that last a lifetime, and for God's sake, with the top down as much as you plan on having it down, wear sunblock!

One gorgeous Dart! The family of your friend will be impressed I am sure.

Cool! I haven't cruised the Berlin Turnpike since the early 90's. Last time I was there, there were so many cars it was like Carlisle.
Good Luck with the trip. I plan something similar, but I have to wait until I retire.......in about another 15 years.

George

WOW!! hope the trip is smooth sailing-- hope you & your daughter have a great experience.

Honk as you go by Wichita ks, Lawrence

Doubt if you will be close but if you need anything in the KC, MO area, I am here.
Tom

That is one nice looking vert!! I love road trips. Have fun

Rotisserie restoration on a 6,000 mile trip...the purists are having heart palpitations!....lololol
Sounds like good times and some fond memories for you and your daughter...Be safe.

That's as cool as it can get. A special road trip your daughter will remember forever! Good call.
I want to do something similar when I get my '69 Dart finished. I want to take a leisurely drive along Route 66 from SoCal to Tulsa (where my wife's oldest son and his family live) and stop for as many car shows along the way as I can. Don't know if it will ever happen unless I have my wife fly on ahead so she can get to the grandson in Tulsa ASAP.
Enjoy the trip! I'm looking forward already to the stories and the pics.

I see Nashville's on your list. My shop's 130 miles due west from there so please feel free to stop by if you're in the area. (My website's Contact Us page has a map at the bottom if that helps ... I'm a few hundred feet west of Highway 45E.)

Have a grand time and take lots of pictures! I don't get a vacation again this year so I have to live vicariously through you and your daughter. :-D

If you're on the Berlin tpke Saturday evening stop into Burger King in Newington where there is a Mopar cruise in. Mopars being the feature cars park up front while all others are in the Back! If it was back in the 70's when you were there last about the only thing in that area that hasn't changed is Dairy Queen, and the gas station across the pike, it's no longer Merit, but now is a Hess station, the rest of that area has all changed. The BK is just north of the DQ!.

Rotisserie restoration on a 6,000 mile trip...the purists are having heart palpitations!....lololol
Sounds like good times and some fond memories for you and your daughter...Be safe.

Hahahahahahahah, if they only knew, Mwahh ha ahahahahahaha

I don't even plan on washing it before I leave...and maybe not on the return either. I'll carry a razor blade to clean the bugs, etc, from the windows.

Thank you all.

69 cuda fan, copied the link info, great stuff there thank you
GeorgeR - I cruised it back in the day (late 80's) with my sublime challenger sunroof car, i sure miss those days
VDart, I'll beep, but I'm pretty sure you'll hear me coming!!!!
VEOTOM, I think we're going around KC MO...at least on the KC KS side
OC dart, plan the trip NOW. I flew my daughter to IOWA and I pick her up Sunday
CudaChick - we're headed from Nashville to Memphis on the return trip. If we get to your neck of the woods I will definitely stop in. I've heard there is a thing called Jack Daniels beer in that neck of the woods. Should I get a big cooler?
ARCO440, Yes, yes I am the coolest Dad in the world.!! thanks
Roadcuda, will definitely do that. I'll be on the pike on the 28th. What time do the festivities begin?

Last time at Berlin Turnpike I was driving a medium blue 1960 Chevy Belair with a built 355 and a 4-speed. Had a teardrop hood on it and Cragar's.
Have fun bud, and be safe.

George

Looks like you'll be driving across RT 17 / I86 in Ny... I live 5 miles away from 2 exits if you happen to need anything near Elmira NY.

71, we are only 25 miles from KCK so if you need a break or need to go have Bar B Que, holler a day or so in advance and we will hook you up. I work within eyeshot of the stadium where the AllStar game was and live only 8 miles from there.

I work at a repair facility and we can put your car on a lift if you need to check anything at all. We can balance tires and align it so feel free to email me if you want more info, [email protected].
Tom

-
Back