18" wide radiator fan shroud?

-

got6pak

Reaction score
I have a 69' Barracuda with a 318 4 speed. It has a factory radiator measuring only 18" wide with no fan shroud. Did this come in small block cars or did someone change it out with the incorrect radiator at some point? If they did come this way, was there a fan shroud that fits it?

I've seen this too. Many low altitude northern climate cars especially.

Ya, the car came from Michigan and was brought out to California late in 68' from the receipts I have. I was hoping to be able to try a fan shroud and see if that cools it better for now since the motor is bone stock.

Ya, the car came from Michigan and was brought out to California late in 68' from the receipts I have. I was hoping to be able to try a fan shroud and see if that cools it better for now since the motor is bone stock.

My '72 swinger came with the same narrow rad, I just put in a 26" champion after drilling a few holes in the core support and radiator flanges. Also running a 318 and it definitely helped, but I still plan to go electric fans soon since it still runs over 210 after extended freeway cruising, and only comes down to ~205 after idling a while. I've got 3.91 gears and a 3500 stall converter though, so cruising uphill at 3800 rpm probably isn't doing me any favors in that dept.

So is there a fan shroud that was made for the 18" wide radiators?

In 69, is the radiator support opening not big enough to swap out to a stock 22" radiator? You can use all your existing stuff, including the hoses, and find the readily available 22" shroud!!

I get that... That wasn't the point though. I was hoping to put a fan shroud on what I have to see if I could by for awhile until I decide what I want to do with the car. Since there isn't a fan shroud that came on these, I'll just have to buy the radiator I eventually will need now.

Or switch to straight water plus a w/p lubricant,or buy a hi-flo water pump, or a 6 blade direct-drive fan,Or re-engineer the ignition advance systems, or give the carb some fresh cold air....

-
Back