1950 truck chassis swap

-

41husk

Reaction score
How difficult would it be to swap a 1999 Dakota chassis and suspension on to a 1950 dodge 5 window truck?

Well i dont think its going to be that hard, but may i ask what your going for? boxing the stock frame will gain alot depending on your end goal

Shoot a PM to RustyRatRod, he can give you some specifics...
C

Thanks, I thought it would be an easy way to put a newer car driving exsperience with an old truck luck. A guy has a running 99 dakota with a 318 but a tree fell on the cab. Ithought I could pull the front, bed and cab off and install the 1950 stuff.

From what I have read and seen it very easy and I have been thinking doing one also.
A lot of guys leave the Dakota floor and firewall and graft the 50's cab to it. This way you can keep all the comfy stuff and column

If the track width and wheelbase are the same (or close) everything else is just tedious work. A lot of work if you want to try what dwire67 is suggesting, but it will make for a nicer truck.

Bear in mind that in order for the check engine light to work properly you need to use the Dak instrument cluster (no reason it couldn't be used just for the light). The speedometer in the 99 is also electric (it has a motor controlled by ONE or more of the computers...).

I have a 49 Dodge 5 window Pilothouse cab sitting on an 83 D150 chassis now. It fits like a glove. In fact, all I have to do for the rear cab mount brackets is drill the holes in the side of the frame and bolt them on. The front took a little more but not much. I don't know what width the Dakota frame is compared to the D150, but the D150 is the perfect width.

I have a 49 Dodge 5 window Pilothouse cab sitting on an 83 D150 chassis now. It fits like a glove. In fact, all I have to do for the rear cab mount brackets is drill the holes in the side of the frame and bolt them on. The front took a little more but not much. I don't know what width the Dakota frame is compared to the D150, but the D150 is the perfect width.

Dakota frames are pretty wide, somewhere around 40" (outside to outside) where a D/W series Dodge is 29" if memory serves.

I am glad someone is doing this swap.We are doing the same thing.This is what the guy has. 56 dodge pickup and wants to pro street it using a 1999 Dakota chassis and suspension. 408 stroker and a 5speed.We need as much help on this as possible.I will be witching this.Please share the info you get. Mark

I was told the early Dakota the 89 and up body style work the best , I guess the lack of computer control stuff?

Any OBDI is much easier than OBDII, but we've done a '96 OBDII swap and it wasn't bad.

Is a d150 a minitruck?

I mounted mine on a ramcharger chassis. to center the front wheels in the fenders the motor sets back in the cab about 3 inches. I got to make a firewall hump.

Attachments

• a.b 099.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,248
I done an old Chevy on an Olds Cutlass chassis, took me a weekend. Dropped the body over the frame for a lowered look yet retain an old look of the body with better driving capabilities with the newer suspension

Is a d150 a minitruck?

The D150 is a Full Size

Dakota is Mid Size

D50 is a Mini pickup

Most 1930's - 1953 Dodge Trucks run a 108" Wheelbase (excluding special ordered ones with a 9' Bed, Utility Bed, etc or the WM300 & M37 Military Power Wagons), the closest match for that wheelbase in a Dodge Truck is a Ramcharger (106" Wheelbase) or a 1st Gen D50 (109" Wheelbase)

Do you guy's who have done this know if the D150 cab is bolted to the frame or welded on? Thanks!

Do you guy's who have done this know if the D150 cab is bolted to the frame or welded on? Thanks!

Bolted to the frame mounts, 6 cab mount bolts total. 2 on the Core Support, 2 on the Front Floor Pans (where your feet would rest) and 2 at the rear (pretty much behind the seat).

The frame mounts are riveted to the frame.

Could you email me I am starting on a 52 and looking to put it on an 1984 ramcharger. Been told track width way to wide and it will look like a bloated toad any guidance to get me started would be huge help thanks.

-
Back