1954 Pocket Watch

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Figured someone might be into pocket watches. This was given to me by my father.

Hamilton dial and movements
dsc02266.jpg

It reads; "21 Jewels, USA, Hamilton 992B, C411728":
dsc02262yu.jpg

It reads; "Fortune, 10k, Gold Filled, Case made in Canada, Sturdy, 5502537, Railroad"
dsc02263y.jpg

I know it is priceless! My father gave me his 38 S & W service revolver before he passed away. I can tell you it is Pricless!

Same here, you will never see a watch on my wrist or a ring.... Ya don't want to know
That is a very nice watch and I bet you are so proud to have it handed down to you.
Yes! Thank you for sharing such a great pocket watch, wow if it could only talk and tell the stories it has been around .

heck Im 23 and I love pocket watches. Have one my great grandpa gave me for my 16th birthday. Granted it isnt a solid old one like that but its the thought that counts

These were very nice back in the day. The Swiss used to replicate the American watches back then, which I find amusing. I have a cheap 1920s Swiss Railroad pocket watch. Probably one of the only 19 year olds out there carrying a pocket watch :glasses7: Sweet watch and definitely priceless like SGBARRACUDA says!

I'm not into pocket watches per say but one of my brothers is and he collects the Hamiltons exclusively. I guess they were pretty high quality watches in their day and widely used by the railroads, etc. That one looks sharpe in gold. Most of the ones i've seen were silver (nickel?). Great heirloom!

Cool. I have four pocket watches, one of which was my grandfathers. "Railroad Grade" watches are special and tend to be more valuable. Do a Google search on "railroad grade" pocket watches - interesting history.

I have found watch chains (and fobs) to be over-priced in jewelry stores (more expensive than comparable necklaces). My wife found an excellent source for estate jewelry on Dish Network; Perry's Estate Jewelry. They had 5 excellent deals on pocket watch chains with fobs this past weekend (normally lucky to see 1-2 in a week).

Interestingly, some of the 100 year old fobs are actually decorative gold stamps, which businessmen used to impress their initials (reverse engraved) on sealing wax for envelopes. Other fobs are simply decorative and are used to pull the watch out of a watch pocket.

luv pocket watches they had to be precise for transprtaion back in the day what a nice peice

Now you've got me curious...my dad was an Engineer for Union Pacific Railroad for a lot of years. He passed way too early at the age of 44 back in 1956.
I've still got his pocket watch that he carried with him while working. Being "On Schedule" was a huge source of pride to all railroad engineers back then and they constantly checked their pocket watches to make sure they were on schedule.
I'm going to have to pull his watch out when I get home after work, take some pics and post them up on this thread.

The "railroad grade" term came about because of the many train wrecks that occurred in the late 1800s. Railroads first standardized time across the nation as there were as many time zones as states, even counties. They then required time pieces with specific qualifications, most importantly the ability to keep accurate time over a specific amount of time. Railroad stations had "regulator" clocks, from which individual watches were set, conductors, engineers, track men, etc. These watches greatly increased the safety of railroad travel.

Gorgous watch Drache!!!
Your Pop must really love you alot.

I've got a few also.
My favorite pocket watch has a presentation inscribed on the back cover.

Roughfully translated:
In memory from the brethran
out of the homeland

I like to never found someone who could translate it.

Attachments

• watches about half 010 resize.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 310
  • resize.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 320
This thread had me thinking about the pocket watch my grandfather left me. I pulled it out after not seeing it for many years. Condition is poor but seems to still work. My eyes are struggling but looks like a Westclox pocket ben. Looks like a style 5 made from 1946 to 1960 Gotta love the internet.

Attachments

• Mauve.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 322
These were very nice back in the day. The Swiss used to replicate the American watches back then, which I find amusing. I have a cheap 1920s Swiss Railroad pocket watch. Probably one of the only 19 year olds out there carrying a pocket watch :glasses7: Sweet watch and definitely priceless like SGBARRACUDA says!
I carried one for awhile. Then the chain broke and two days later the watch got a nice washing :eek:ops: I turn 19 Friday.

Very cool! My Father was given a 1960's Wittnauer wrist watch from his father when he came home on leave from Boot Camp in 1969. After wearing it for 20 years on submarines he gave it to me when I got home from Boot Camp. It's scratched all to hell from being aboard a metal submarine but it has character. I often wonder where that watch has been. Probably in a very few places on this planet where only a handful of people have been.

I had one that my grandfather gave me. He got it from his step-father. My dip-**** of a nephew stole it and I haven't seen it since.

The first one isn't old, it was purchased by my Grandfather when he was Superintendent of West Fraser Sawmill.

Cardinal, 19 Jewels, Shockproof,stamped into the case is AU10
dsc02277al.jpg

SU, 2609.HA
dsc02278xh.jpg

The next two were both owned by my great great great grandmother. The first one even has her initials engraved on the back.

Elgin Mini Pocket Watch, 1911
dsc02268c.jpg

Nindsar Guaranteed 20 years, B.W.C.Co., 5597232
dsc02270kz.jpg

Elgin, USA, 16801364
dsc02269vl.jpg

Elgin Mini Pocket Watch, Outside Face Cover
dsc02271m.jpg

Elgin Face, 1904, Inside Cover reads; 6712408
dsc02272qx.jpg

Back of watch
dsc02273uy.jpg

Inside first back cover, reads; Keystone Watch Case, 6712408
dsc02274yl.jpg

Inside second back cover, reads; Guaranteed 25 years, J.BOSS14K, 6712406
dsc02275j.jpg

Elgin Nail Watch, USA, 11123574, one the case above the serial reads; 12408
dsc02276v.jpg

My mom gave me this one about a year ago. Works but I cant set the time. The case number is 6003270. I'm more into old 8 day clocks.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 232
  • 002.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 277
I love the pocket watch pictures!!

I carry them myself. My wife will tell you if it is a watch, clock, or radio I have a hard time not draggin it home.

My favorite pocket watch is one I bought at Wal-Mart of all places. I was in there when I was going through a divorce and I saw this pocket watch that said Dodge on it. I wanted it and bought it for myself as a divorce present.

I still have a Mickey Mouse pocket watch my dad bought for me when I was about 5. It is still in the box with the KMart price sticker on it. (Of course it doesnt work cause I wound it too tight. LOL)

My prized possession in the way of time pieces is a mantle clock my dad had for probably 30 years that never worked which is interesting cause his brother repaired clocks and had a house filled with them. I dont know why he never got it fixed. Anyhow, I got that clock repaired last year and it chimes perfectly and looks great on my mantle.
I will post pics later.

I think my clock fixation may have come from my uncles house. You should have heard it on the hour. LOL

I was given a pocket watch by my in-laws when I graduated college in 1986. It was a modern battery run piece. Nothing spectacular but I like using it since I don't like wearing a wrist watch.

I really like old pocket watches. Thanks for posting pictures guys.

I was given a pocket watch by my in-laws when I graduated college in 1986. It was a modern battery run piece. Nothing spectacular but I like using it since I don't like wearing a wrist watch.

I really like old pocket watches. Thanks for posting pictures guys.

I like them all. New, old, doesnt matter.

I cant even walk by the clock section at Wa-Mart without stopping. LOL My house would be full if it didnt cause a divorce.

My grandsons favorite is a 2 bell alarm clock I got at Wal-Mart for 8 bucks. I promised to buy him one for Christmas. His dad will be thrilled.

-
Back