1961 Valiant Wagon

-
I bet those 1960 Captive Air Goodyear tires called for in the TSB for the suburban wagon as standard equipment in a 13" rim diameter must be pretty hard to find now!

Having to move out of the current location for a while... but will be able to keep working on it..

6BED030E-7034-4323-A449-F8C56613EB72.jpeg

Were the Roof Rack Carriers available on the '62 Models as well? Were they dealer installed or factory installed? I would sure like to find one for my '62!!

I think I might follow that 1960 valiant TSB for the bumper jack relocation as I can no longer fit my jack under the rear wood plate with a 225 70 14 tire in the rear well as my spare tire.

Greg
Yes roof racks were available in 1962. Not sure if they were factory but 100% dealer for sure. Would have made more sense to be factory but I will have to check my books for you.

Yes roof racks were available in 1962. Not sure if they were factory but 100% dealer for sure. Would have made more sense to be factory but I will have to check my books for you.
Sounds good,
Thanks and have a successful, safe move.

I bet those 1960 Captive Air Goodyear tires called for in the TSB for the suburban wagon as standard equipment in a 13" rim diameter must be pretty hard to find now!
I have 1. But it’s only good for displaying. The rims that will go on the wagon will be 5.5 wide x 14in.

Haven’t been able to work on the wagon for a little bit.. but still doing things for the wagon. One item I recently made was a tar top looking battery topper. I also made the battery caps a little while back. Cause the wagon was built in November 1960... I decided to use autolite battery caps. I always never liked beautiful restored engine bays with a modern battery starring you right in the face.

C3CBF7BF-FD44-413C-A1E1-93E80BBF8F1D.jpeg

This was a win.... a colleague recently imported a 1960 valiant station wagon into Australia. And it still had 1 rear tailgate area wiring grommet on it. I have seen a lot of wagons over time but this was the first time one still had the grommet. This piece goes into the body below where the tailgate sits and the wiring loom for the taillights and electric tailgate go right through the middle of them. thankfully he sent it across to me and I have redone a couple of them up.

F58C4D55-A81B-4C55-AB98-9E7261920EBB.jpeg

Digging through the draws at home to find something else and I pull out some nos spark plug leads I had purchased off Len Dawson years ago... I recently read that mopar didn’t print on their spark plug leads until 1961. But the ones I have are dated 3Q 60. Which match the build date (November 60) of the wagon. Who knows!?!. At least I know these will go on the wagon now.

597AD18F-8A20-466B-99F7-B89E85C2CFF0.jpeg

Mike, you are a mad man!
And I mean that in the nicest way.
I sure do love your wagon and you efforts at finding rare parts!

I am confused, is the wagon a 60 or 61?
I thought that V200 trim was 61 only.

Mike, you are a mad man!
And I mean that in the nicest way.
I sure do love your wagon and you efforts at finding rare parts!

I am confused, is the wagon a 60 or 61?
I thought that V200 trim was 61 only.
Hiya,

The wagon is a 1961 Plymouth Valiant. Hence the 61 trim wear. It was built in the first week of November 1960. The 1960 model year ends September 1960... And the 61 model year start 1st October 1960.. So I took the liberty of pretending I ordered this car in September of 60 but they didnt get to make it till November 60. And with a few parts left over from the 1960 production run they (I) just put the left over bits onto the wagon. Like the black gauges, placement of the alternator, Sort of a cross over from 60/61. When I was able to visit and pull parts in the 90s in the USA I noticed 60 stuff on 61 cars and 61 stuff on 60 cars. This is where I got the idea from. A production model crossover.

There is a few items that were only available from other countries on the wagon as well. But I really liked them so I had to put them on. AutoMex (Mexican Chrysler) Tachometer from the 62 Acapulco Valiant. 1960/1/2 Chryco (Canadian Chrysler) Valiant Steering Clock... And maybe but havent decided as yet... The Australia exterior Sunvisor.

Thanks Mike, not sure why I thought it was a 60.
Did you find all the parts you need for the rear gas fill and is your tank in good shape?

Thanks Mike, not sure why I thought it was a 60.
Did you find all the parts you need for the rear gas fill and is your tank in good shape?
Actually the gas tank was in great shape. It had a small dent/knock in a area I don’t know how it would have got there... but once it was installed you could not see it. I still cleaned to crap out of it and used a product call redkote on the inside of it. It’s used on aircraft fuel tanks.

-
Back