1962 Dodge Lancer Seat Belts

-

tim rosetano

Reaction score
I need to install belts in my 62 Lancer. Never done this before, so go easy on me. I see the bolts that hold the front bench seat on each side, but nothing in the middle. Do I attach the belt to the bolt holding the seat down? Should I drill holes for the middle sections, or just put a full lap belt all the way across? (That sounds dumb to me, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the help!

I would fab something like what the factory used when they first started use of simple seat belts. In general, I would take a piece of flat mild sheet (plate) maybe 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick and use that under the floor, welded to the floor pan. Drill for a 7/16 bolt and attach seat belt. The part where it would normally attach thru the rocker, that would be tougher! Point it, the belt needs to be attached to floor pan and rocker, with strength of that place. Just bolting it to floor pan is not strong enough, and certainly not just to the seat.

You don't have the factory mounts in the floor?
Did you look under to see?
This picture shows one of the outboard mounts.
I think I have some of the parts cut off a parts car if you don't have them.
I know that seat belts were optional, but the factory was putting the mounts in.
The dealer just had to install them and pocket the cash!
IMG_7983.JPG

Heck I figured seats belts had not even been invented in '62!!! LOL
My two 65 B bodies had them in the front though!! High end models! lol

I know that seat belts were optional, but the factory was putting the mounts in.
View attachment 1715878091
I'll take a better look. I had read that they should be there. I can do some things with cars, but still learning. I'm assuming your pointing to the large bolt surrounded by that little metal piece?

View attachment 1715878091

I didn’t have provisions for seat belts in my 61 wagon. I had to use Hotrod backing plates.

41620FCD-0D7D-4DD2-AA66-2FE0C198386C.jpeg

Anchorage points for lap belts are present on your '62 (new that year). What to fill them with, and how? See here—belt info a few paragraphs down.

-
Back