1962 Valiant 440

-

turkeyjerky

Reaction score
Is it possible to install a 440 in a 62 valiant without chopping it up to badly? I currently have a 360 with a 904 installed but I was just curious.

I'm thinking that because the 60 - 62 cars have the smallest engine bay of the early A cars, your going to do a bit of hacking. You'd have to use fender well headers and some inner fender well massaging to make it work. Plus the engine compartment is a bit shorter than the 64 - 66 cars.
One thing the 62's have the same K member as the later early A cars but I have not put a big block in a pre 63 car but maybe someone here has more info for you.

Maybe make a 440 small block?

Yup. It'll bolt right in. You will have to figure out what to do about exhaust.

a person would maybe think about the weight up front with that.60-2 cars lightest of the early A bodies, not sure if the wheel base isn't a little shorter than 63-5 Plymouth?? I can measure the distance between the fenderwells in my 62 dart vs the 63 dart if you like.

Just get a 2" holesaw and cut them so there's a straight path out the fenderwell for each tube. Can't guarantee the neighbors will want to talk to you after that, but it would be fun!

As soon as the wheather breaks ill be installing a raised head B block in my valiant. Build thread will be started once mock up begins
Theres 2 rb 62 valiants here locally both have square tube chassis and both havent seen the light of day for along time.
Aaron

What I do not understand is why you would want to put a big heavy 440 in the car when the 360 would have better handling and almost as much power ?

What I do not understand is why you would want to put a big heavy 440 in the car when the 360 would have better handling and almost as much power ?

You can get a lot more power out of a 440 than a 360. Tons more torque. thats what they were made for after all. And its cool to see a Big *** motor in a early A body!

It can be done - like Rusty said - you're on your own for exhaust manifolding.

Well i was just curious, I've never seen one before. I'm pretty happy with the 360. I couldn't imagine a bigger motor in there, space is already pretty limited. It looks like I mite be trading it off for a 360 duster anyways.

-
Back