1962 Valiant Gas Tank

-

SouthernTrk

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the gas tank on my 1962 Valiant but can not find one anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one? I can only find them starting at 1963 and that will not fit.:violent1:

Yea! me too I drug home 62 lancer, tank is marginally usable. but I I have to have the neck to tank rubber grommet!!!! six pack dan suggested I send my tank to guy in K.C. that will build one to spec. not in my budget right now! I am looking for local guy to fab one for reasonable price.
also I ask this question: what did these toads use for radiator??? I know by some pics they were a roundtop no doubt, but the thickness??? my car is complete less rad. an early A slant 2 core is too thick. and NO specer on my fan either.....
this is my first toad after more than a few mopars over the decades. might be a challenge!???? LOL

Have you tried ebay, also check to see what else comes close, if you're not doing a correct resto. I have a 65 Valiant and a 70 model Duster/Dart fits right in. $50 difference in price, and it came with a 1/2 in sending unit. Wow, I take that back, just did a quick search, that's gonna be a difficult find?

you can use the 63-66 tank-- not sure what mods besides the filler neck area-- different type seal-- & this tank is larger. Lawrence

the gas tanl fopr my 62 Lancer is wayyyyy shorter than the 63-6 tanks. the filler neck for the 62 is smaller than the 63 also. noone repops the rubber grommet that seals the filler neck to the tank either.
my tank is probably usable but the grommet fell apart when I pulled the tank to check it out and clean it.
finding a usuable tank from desert would be expensive no doubt( tank and shipping). having a custom made aluminum tank might be a better route. ( expensive too no doubt!).
I've thought about buying new 63 tank, shortening it, ( a true test to my welding and fab skills!! LOL) and then getting filler neck to fit the tank and the car!
been told a shop in Kansas City will make ya a aluminum tank based on your old tank. around $ 500 plus shiping 2 ways. LOL

just going by what I was told, someone in my past said he puts 63-66 tanks in toads with very minimal effort. I do not have 1st hand knowledge .

Barbee-- you have other 63-66 cars-- do a comparison I think it will work- Lawrence

I've visited with slantsix dan bout a ll this toad stuff! yes great guy. I admit i'm learing bout the peculiarities betweem the 63,4,5 darts, early cudas.... new c ritters for me.. dan knows of shop in K.C. that will make a aluminum tank off our old tank...... I can't afford that.
here's what I have found. the 63-5 gas tanks are like 16 gal, the toad is 12 gal. I measured the distance between the 7 1/4 and the edge of spare tire well on th e toad and a 64 dart that has no tank, distance is 13 1/4 vs 14 1/2 inches. that's 1 1/4 in difference....now...
I bought a tank off feebay for the 63 dart. it measured the same as the tank I bought for the 65 dart. classic industries show the 64 tank with different part number. I barely got the tank in the 63 in as it sat awful close to rearend. I will try to measure the tank in the 63 to see if it is a possible fit.
so I don't know right now what would work! LOL
another good member in here said he solved the rubber grommet, neck to tank, problem. he went to shop that had industrial type rings, and took his old one ( or measurements would work), and got a grommet. got a size bigger and smaller to be sure it would seal.....
no one ever said toads were easy!!??????? (that's why they are worth the big $$$! LOL!!)

I think I will buy a plastic fuel cell and plop it in the trunk. Might be able to use the existing filler, but if not no worries. As long as it is vented and grounded correctly, it is not unlike a thousand other cars.

I got more info off slantsix.org. it agrees with Vdart that the 63-6 tank will work, as even though its (63-6) longer, it will fit more into the spare tire well than the shorter 62 tank.......
no one every said collecting road toads ( or most mopars) was easy!!??? LOL

I'm not clear: Does that mean you have to modify the 63-66 tank to fit it in a '62 Valiant? Or modify the '62 Valiant body to get it in? Not a lot of extra room down there.

I don't know personally. I have been told the 63-5 tank will work, b ut till I do it i'm just going on what i'm told. if using the 63-5 tank, you would have to score a filler neck from those years, the 62 neck is smaller dia.

here are some pics I took couple months ago showing the 62 lancer and a 64 dart tank.
send me your email address and I will sen d direct to ya. i'm too old and stupid to know how to put pics with the reply!
you can see how the 64 tanks sides further under the spare tire well. I believe they are rated at 12 and 16 gal.
I can't say personally, I wish I had the 64 tank sitttting around to try! LOL and I ain;t gonna pull a tank out of the 63 or 65 darts to try!!!!

Just to toss in a little mix in this discussion... In my 63 Valiant I cut out the trunks spare tire wheel well (I was running a tire size that would not even fit in there anyways) and installed a Ford Falcon gas tank... thus it became my trunk floor... (and saved weight)

I know this is not for every one... But I did race my 340 powered 63 Valiant and this fixed several issues for me...

Attachments

• vcuda63.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 269
Have you ever solved your 62 fuel tank problem. I am facing the same issue. Why didn't they think 1960-62 valiants/lancers were going to stick around?

Why didn't they think 1960-62 valiants/lancers were going to stick around?

Um...what? You're talking about a car over half a century old. Statistically, there are none of them left. It's not reasonable to expect to be able to walk into any ol' parts store or car dealer and pick up whatever parts you happen to want.

Um...what? You're talking about a car over half a century old. Statistically, there are none of them left. It's not reasonable to expect to be able to walk into any ol' parts store or car dealer and pick up whatever parts you happen to want.
I realize that, but they do make new tanks for 1963 and up. So why throw out the mold to the 1960-1962?

The original tooling for all the A-body gas tanks was scrapped years ago. The tanks available for '63 and '64-'66 and '67-'70 and '70-'71 and '72-'76 A-bodies are all reproduction items made on new tooling. There's a much bigger market for all of those than for the one-year-only '62 tank or the two-year-only '60-'61 tank.

It is a problem. I found a used one from a barn-find parts car. But during my search, I found a product to reseal the interior of lacquered old gas tanks... It sounded credible and I was ready to try it out when I found the replacement tank... If your tank is not all varnish, and just rusty on the inside try this:
If it is varnish - try this first: Berryman's B-12 Chemtool (in one gal can).... then do the resto on Youtube... search online and you'll find a lot of gas tank resto tips, especially from bikers. Hope this helps.
Jason

-
Back