1963 Barracuda convertible

-
That's really awesome. Is there a story?? If so, I missed it.

And it already had a 273 in 63?????
I would be suspicious. I'd be putting on my cow pasture boots on and take a REAL good look at this. It makes a great story to call it a prototype. Is it a ChryCo factory prototype? I'd like to see the VIN (is there one?) and also build dates that would be on the engine, etc. It helps sell the museum but not sure of the accuracy...

If nothing else it could be a preproduction ‘64 built in ‘63 .

Note it has a v8 that means ‘64 firewall. Also has ‘64 fenders , grill and hood . They used the convertible windshield frame and trim and some convertible frame parts also the Barracuda body .
This car won’t have a v.i.n.

Must be nice to have the factory parts bins to grab what you need to make a one of styling exercise.

I would have to wonder if it is even an authentic story. This is the only time I have ever heard of such a car existing. A car like this's existence would have been documented long before it surfaces now 50 years later after all of the parties are probably dead and gone.

The 2 colored 64-66 firewall and the newer style air cleaner and the power brake booster all say fake to me. I would need actual proof to believe it.

Smells like cheese from here. Show us the SO on the rad support. And with the doors open, I wonder if you could still jack up the front tire without flexing the floor.

It seems a Plymouth executive’s wife wanted a fastback but with a convertible top (…) At first it appeared to be a custom build of a 1964 fastback, but closer examination showed a description of the car and its unique history.
Cool story, bro; can you prove it? I mean, because if you can, that sure gives my factory '63 Lancer 770 factory 383 Hemi/4-on-the-tree factory 2-door 9-seater factory hardtop convertible station wagon a run for the money. It was factory-built at the factory for a Dodge factory executive's grandson, who wasn't yet born. But when he was eventually born, it was in a factory.

Last edited:
It's not what it claims to be.
It's nice but not so cool as as convert in my opinion.
Barracuda_Targatop1.jpg

Ditch the glass....it would be an aero roll bar spoiler. OLDS did one
1669938982331.png

I read about this car not too long ago, I thought it was on FABO. The story went it was a styling excercise(not for anyone's wife) and they took a Barracuda off the line, and were going to put Formula S badges on it. The then current owner asked someone associated with the build about it, and he said he(the owner) should go ahead and finish making it a Formula S because that's what the paperwork said to do.

So who knows. It is kinda cool, though.

I read about this car not too long ago, I thought it was on FABO. The story went it was a styling excercise(not for anyone's wife) and they took a Barracuda off the line, and were going to put Formula S badges on it. The then current owner asked someone associated with the build about it, and he said he(the owner) should go ahead and finish making it a Formula S because that's what the paperwork said to do.

So who knows. It is kinda cool, though.
Was that the famous Formula S Valiant or this Targa type top Barracuda? Barris did a deusy on the Fireball 500 66 Barracuda. Anything is possible after it left the line. Concept car? (Not for public sale)

Or hey, maybe it was specially built just before Greg Brown's folks' brand-new '64 Dodge hardtop convertible 4-door:

Yeah, just read below the pictures,,,,
Ok...so I did see all that... more of a blurb than a story. If you look into where it came from....joe schmoe' s private collection....seems to add zero credibility. I like stories that say "we assume" this and that.... what a load. It would cool if true, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, lots of red flags on that car. Those wheel covers weren't even available in '64, let alone '63. The fender emblem is a '65-6 version as well. If she had wanted a Barracuda convertible, why not just have them start with a Valiant convertible and put the Barracuda parts on it instead of the Valiant ones? All the parts were on the shelf to make an early Barracuda convertible....never understood why they didn't make one.

I find it hard to believe someone (anyone's) wife is asking for a special version of a car that the whole model platform doesn't really exist yet.

Nah, it's a 64 firewall is smooth, 22 inch radiator........ nice car, except what ever dummy painted the engine bay
I read on the internet that back in 63 Chrysler was doing experimental body styling exercises trying to make Mopars look more like GM products, as a way to increase car sales at the various Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge divisions. One of the styling experiments was the black painted engine bay on the car featured in this post.
That this one car has two experimental styling exercises on it; the convertible top and the black engine bay will only add to the cars value. Pushing the car’s value to maybe $1500

Last edited:
Id buy it for $1500, let me know where to send the Paypal....

-
Back