1963 Dart 170 2 Door Post Resto

-
A little more progress. Slowly checking each item off the list. Got the last two inner fender stone shields cleaned up, painted and reinstalled. OCD sucks. Took forever to get them as clean as I wanted. Look nice now though. Got the weatherstrip that runs up the front of the doors along the vent windows installed as well.

Took the front tires off to get them ready to be sanded and repainted due to the paint being damaged when the tires were installed. Replaced the front drums as well while I was at it. They were in decent shape but I got new Raybestos ones cheap so I went for it. Had to cut the swedges though. I didn't like the idea of spending over $100 on a toll I'd rarely use so I decided to try the idea I saw on line. I bought a cheap 16mm (5/8") hole saw and proceeded to remove the pilot drill. Then I just slid the hole saw over the wheel stud and drilled them out. I was careful not to touch the threads of the studs. I read you can slice a piece of copper pipe and wrap the stud for protection but I didn't. I also got lucky and the depth of the hole saw I used was perfect. it would bottom out on the stud as soon as it got past the drum. Barely scratched the hub. (I was careful just in case any way). Drums popped off easy and the new ones fit perfect.

Getting down to the small stuff now. Once the paint is all finished it's just fit the carpet and trim. Then install the radio, glove box, kick panels and seats.

Wife can't wait to be driving around in it. Really likes how it is coming out.

2023-03-27 20_28_26-Hss Bi-Metal Hole Saw with Hex Shank Drill Bit Adapter Heavy Duty Heavy Du...png

stone shield 1.jpg

Stone shield 2.jpg

Stone shield painted.jpg

Wheel paint repair.jpg

prepped for brakes.jpg

are you taking care of the shoulder? Tiger Balm will help with the pain...BUT...it'll feel so good you may over do it.

are you taking care of the shoulder? Tiger Balm will help with the pain...BUT...it'll feel so good you may over do it.
Shoulder is doing a lot better. Still hurts if I try to do too much so I'm being careful. Made sure I reported it to my work and they sent me to the work wellness center. Not nurses but kinesiologist I think. They are pretty sure it is just a pull and not a tear but I plan to check with my family doctor to be sure. They ARE employed by my workplace after all.

Making sure to cover myself on this one.

WOW!!! I am loving following your build. Mind if I ask a couple questions? How did you restore the 170 C pillar emblems? Were did you find 170 sun visors? on my 63 170, they are cardboard with vinyl trim sewn on. I have only been able to find the thick vinyl ones. You are creating one beautiful car! And take it from someone who has had surgery on both shoulders. TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!!!

WOW!!! I am loving following your build. Mind if I ask a couple questions? How did you restore the 170 C pillar emblems? Were did you find 170 sun visors? on my 63 170, they are cardboard with vinyl trim sewn on. I have only been able to find the thick vinyl ones. You are creating one beautiful car! And take it from someone who has had surgery on both shoulders. TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!!!
I actually found NOS pillar emblems. Even found a NOS 170 hood emblem. The funny part is after I bought the emblems I found the originals in really nice shape taped up in a tube. Only difference was the 170 part was gold not black. I liked the black against the new paint better.

As for the visors I just ordered the regular ones for a sedan. Mine were not cardboard but a particle board with vinyl over them. What I got seems pretty close. I got them off eBay. I'll see if I can find the seller for you

Moving forward again. Doing a little here and there but it's been slow the last couple weeks. Not a lot of spare time, but I really need to get this done so I can enjoy it this summer. Sooo close to being done. Got the new drums painted and installed. Painted and installed all the inner fender stone guards. Got all of the small parts that need to be painted sanded and prepped ready for color. Even spent a few hours cleaning up the shop a bit. A long way from being done, but at least it's a start.

Have to cover a few things and wrap the entire car in plastic to protect it from over spray and I'm ready for color. Hopefully by the end of the week I can finally clean up and put the painting equipment away for a while. At least until I get the wife's 49 International in and torn apart and blasted to shoot with epoxy.

Even got the radio I picked up on ebay cleaned up and installed for a test fit. Looks great. Got it super cheap. It stated it is from a rambler but I think it was a dealer installed aftermarket option made by the same company as the "dart" radios. Looks identical with the exception of the black knobs and buttons and no Dart logo. Also the bezel is slightly different and all metal, which I actually prefer. It actually matches the contour of the dash perfectly. Makes me wonder if it wasn't made specifically for the dart. I actually found a picture of a 63 Dart 170 on line and it had this exact radio installed in it. Curious. The radio is also date coded for a 63.

And of course couldn't help get another shot of the rear when I had the garage door open blowing out all the dust. Shes a little dusty right now but definitely looking ready to roll.

radio cleaned2.jpg

radio cleaned3.jpg

radio installed.jpg

radio cleaned.jpg

tires prepped.jpg

Close up rear.jpg

I still can't get over the color. It's just gorgeous.

I still can't get over the color. It's just gorgeous.
Thanks. It took me a while to settle on it. Didn't want a car that would just "blend in" like a lot of cars do now days.

Already looking into different colors for my truck if I don't keep the patina or go original. Lots of good options.

Thanks. It took me a while to settle on it. Didn't want a car that would just "blend in" like a lot of cars do now days.

Already looking into different colors for my truck if I don't keep the patina or go original. Lots of good options.
Ain't that the truth. Brown, brown, another shade of brown. Grey, silver, muted reds and blues. Kitty is constantly talkin about how drab cars are nowadays.

Ain't that the truth. Brown, brown, another shade of brown. Grey, silver, muted reds and blues. Kitty is constantly talkin about how drab cars are nowadays.
I work in a car manufacturing plant and most of what I see coming off the line are white, black, grey, silver, repeat. The odd splash of color thrown in. Some new colors are nice, but there are so few of them being made. Usually because a color adds a premium to the price.

Productive day today. We had a beautiful day so I decided to paint the final pieces of the car. As it was so nice outside I sprayed them outside, thus no extra prep of covering everything and having to wear the respirator. Went super smooth. Laid out a tarp and put on surgical gloves so I could hold parts up and spray them, then bring them back in and hang them up. Then I did the 2 wheels by laying them on the tarp and spraying them, then waiting just long enough and hitting them with clear. Came out really nice overall. Got 2 small runs in the clear on one rim where I was almost done and got a little overzealous with the clear, but not bad. I may wet sand it a little, I may not. Will see how it looks once on the car. Not a huge deal either way.

Mixed up too much paint each time though. So hard to judge when there's only a few parts. Would rather too much then to run out any way. It looked like 1 on the mixing stick was too little and 2 was too much. Oh well. It wasn't that much overall.

Now to finalize reassembly, finish the interior and get it safetied so I can start driving it. Can't wait.

ash tray.jpg

dash corners.jpg

headlight ring 2.jpg

headlight ring 3.jpg

headlight ring1.jpg

radio delete.jpg

rims redone 1.jpg

rims redone 2.jpg

rear window fillers 1.jpg

rear window fillers 2.jpg

Outside is done. Really glad with how it came out. Really glad I decided to paint out the headlight rings

20230413_152415_HDR.jpg

20230413_152430_HDR.jpg

20230413_152450_HDR.jpg

Slow but steady. Got the finishing touches on the headliner done today. Also put the package tray back in, hopefully for the final time. Just have to find one retaining clip, paint them both black and drill a couple holes to install them.

Got one side panel installed and the cat whiskers. Had to trim them a little but not bad. Have to repaint the other tomorrow. It had a couple runs I didn't see and I tried wet sanding them out and touched the edge and blew through the base coat. No biggie.

Even got the ash tray back in and ordered seat belts. Hopefully I ordered right. We will see I guess. A couple more good days and I should be finishing up the final touches. Safety can't come soon enough. Been way too long

So, a little farther today. Got the last panel sprayed again today. Hopefully it's good this time.

Thanks to a member on here I discovered I needed brackets to mount the seatbelts due to the floor mounting. The ones on line were over $100US for a set shipped for 4. As I have a good selection of good material I decided to try to make my own. The ones on line were 3/16" so I went 1/4". Matched the profile and bent them to approximately 60 degrees like the ones on line. Came out pretty good in mt opinion. Only 7 more to go. Already have them bent and pilot holes drilled. I left them a little heavier all the way around. Stronger is always better right? Just have to pick up some cad plated grade 8 bolts and paint the brackets and I should be good to go.

seat belt bracket2.jpg

seat belt bracket1.jpg

So, a little farther today. Got the last panel sprayed again today. Hopefully it's good this time.

Thanks to a member on here I discovered I needed brackets to mount the seatbelts due to the floor mounting. The ones on line were over $100US for a set shipped for 4. As I have a good selection of good material I decided to try to make my own. The ones on line were 3/16" so I went 1/4". Matched the profile and bent them to approximately 60 degrees like the ones on line. Came out pretty good in mt opinion. Only 7 more to go. Already have them bent and pilot holes drilled. I left them a little heavier all the way around. Stronger is always better right? Just have to pick up some cad plated grade 8 bolts and paint the brackets and I should be good to go.

View attachment 1716080238

View attachment 1716080239
Those look great! How did you bend it? I need to make a couple for the submarine belts in my '66.

Also, you may have mentioned it, but are you going to reinforce the floor where you bolt them in? If so, how?

Front seats have the original plates underneath. Rear will be either the big washer that comes with the universal seat belts or I will make another plate and weld a nut to it.

I bent them using a Pirahna metal bender. You could use a sheet metal brake as well or a hammer and a good vise if you don't have those. I have done all at some point.

Front seats have the original plates underneath. Rear will be either the big washer that comes with the universal seat belts or I will make another plate and weld a nut to it.

I bent them using a Pirahna metal bender. You could use a sheet metal brake as well or a hammer and a good vise if you don't have those. I have done all at some point.
If I pound on one of those brackets on my bench vise, I'd have stuff on shelves falling all over the place. :rofl:

A little progress. Kinda stalled waiting on seat belts. Got the rear carpet fitted under the rear seat and the rear seat installed temporarily (have to remove to do rear seat belts). Still have to trim the sides of the carpet. Do most people trim flush to the floor, or a little up the side. The trim looks like it has room to have carpet come up the side a little.

Also got the last of the seat belt brackets made. Happy with the results overall. Just need to prime and paint them now and pick up some hardware. Anyone know what the original size of the seat belts bolt is? I am pretty sure it is fine thread.

Hoping this week to get it finished if the seat belts come in. Will be way more motivated once I have them in my hands.

rear seat.jpg

seat belt brackets done.jpg

Nearing the finish line...finally. Got the carpet trimmed as far as the front of the doors and the sill plates installed. Still have to do finish trimming and tuck the carpet up under the firewall insulation. Also have to cut the holes (soldering iron) for the seat belts and seat as well as dimmer switch and gas pedal bracket. Looks good so far. It was a pain to get the carpet in as the fit isn't perfect and I was trying to be careful to not wind up with an air pocket under the carpet where it was pulled too tight. Coming out pretty good so far.

Even finally bit the bullet and drilled 4 holes into my floor to mount the rear seat belts. Did a bunch of research, looking at as many pictures as I could to determine where they should be mounted. I had read that there were dimples where you should drill, but I only found dimples on the inner belt locations, and in EVERY picture of rear seat belts I found (even on one that stated installed from new (dealer I'm assuming) they were drilled differently than the dimple locations, so I went with what I found to be common. It also looks like it will work out better for the brackets.

On the outer locations I mounted the brackets I made facing out as in every picture I found the seat belts were mounted this way. Difference is they had a bend up to the end of them (like my bracket) to allow them to be pulled up over the seat. Should wind up the same way once I install the belts and put the seat back in. I am just waiting for my cad plated bolts to come in to finish the install. I may have to order more as what I ordered may be a little longer than I want. Rear seats won't matter but in the front it will be seen but easily switched. It is purely cosmetic, but I haven't settled as of yet, why start now...lol.

Carpet install.jpg

seat belt bracket install.jpg

More progress. Used soldering iron to make my holes for the seat belts and seats mounting points. Just need to trim the front of the carpet and do finishing touches then the front seat and belts go in. Almost there.

20230426_213046.jpg

20230426_213100_HDR.jpg

20230426_213107_HDR.jpg

Slowly moving towards the finish line. Got bay (the front carpet area finished up and the dimmer switch grommet installed. Had to order a new one as I lost the one that came with it. Got a steal on the carpet for $10 on ebay (new) and he had a set for a 50s chevy truck so I bought it too. I think I accidentally put it in the box with the chevy carpet. Killed me to pay $20 (delivered) for a grommet for $10 carpet...lol :rofl:

Got the drivers kick panel fully installed and put the speaker in. I reinstalled the radio after adding new speaker wires and power lead (they were cut off when I bought it). I also had to replace the blown display bulb. Hooked it up and it works...almost. I don't appear to have volume control. Have to pull it again and have a look. Might need to be sent out to have the volume pot replaced maybe. Might go with the full update while I am at it if I'm already paying for it. I love the look of this radio so I don't want to go with a different one at this point.

Got the front seat out to get ready to install it. Removed the seat tracks to clean and paint them and realized the seat back pivots look like hell. The upholstery guy didn't clean or paint them. I know it's not usually a part of their job, but for what I paid, he could have at least gave me the option to take them and paint them once he got them disassembled. Going to be a pain to tape it all off to hit them with some semi-gloss black. Yet another disappointing discovery about this guys work. (I have a pretty good list of shoddy quality or short cuts I found that no good upholstery shop would normally do) I will definitely not recommend him to any one else, nor will I use him again. Lesson learned.

radio done.jpg

drivers kick panel.jpg

speaker installed.jpg

front carpet done2.jpg

-
Back