1963 Dart - Rims & Tires Upgrade?

-

DeucesWild

Reaction score
Hi All, I am interested in upgrading from the stock rims and tires to something a little beefier, basically a little wider. I have seen some pics on-line of darts with wider rims and tires but no info on them. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Below are some pics of what I am thinking about..

1963-Dodge-Dart-GT1.jpg

tumblr_m7fk7m6A2B1rbvejto1_1280.jpg

003.jpg

first thing to consider will you stay with the small bolt pattern wheels and drum brakes or upgrade to discs and a big bolt pattern? must be 1000 threads on here bout all. do you have 13 in rims now??

I just now saw the pics. again, sbp rims are out there in 14n but many times discs will not work on those ..... so 15 in would be the deal. no shortage of mags in the bbp but very limited in the sbp but there are out there. the brake question is the first thing to consider.

Thanks Barbee, just found some threads on it. I have the stock 13"s on it now, but will probably go with the sbp 14x6 that Summit has. Then have to figure out the tire size that will work. Thanks for the info on the disc brakes, good point. I will have to consider that before making any purchases.

Thanks Barbee, just found some threads on it. I have the stock 13"s on it now, but will probably go with the sbp 14x6 that Summit has. Then have to figure out the tire size that will work. Thanks for the info on the disc brakes, good point. I will have to consider that before making any purchases.

I have forgot most of what I ever knew. 14 in sbp, i', thinking they could be stock in 6 in wide, 5 1/2 surely. I just paid $100 for a set of 4, with decent tires. I figured that ia retail for round here! you should be able to find some used pretty close there. so many people ditch the 14 inchers and go to discs that require a 15 in rim. so the 14 sbp are not expensive at all!

I am at the same crossroads for new tires and/or rims my 63 red Dart GT convertible. It has standard 13" rims.. I've always been happy with the white wall look - but wouldn't mind a beefier look - thought not sure if that means white walls would still be available.... So I just learned about the SBP small bolt pattern look to get larger tires from you here... which without upgrading any of the drum brakes on my 63 to discs or going to BBP 15" found on more muscle car... means I could possible put on some sort of 14" sbp rims for my little 3-on the tree slant 6... But from where..? Coker? Summit what..? Are those the only places? How much per rim or tire is too much..? Right now Coker tires as whitewalls in my 13" rims for basically $200 per tire...and I could just spend about $800 and be done... But if I got 14" rims and liked them... I'm guessing then I'm going to need 14" hubcabs.. but perhaps the tires will be cheaper in the long run..? I get it comes down to personal choice... and I'm more of a stock, classic guy... I'd just rather not have to spend $800 for those skinny little tires... And what kind of gas mileage are you getting in your manual 3-speed slant 6? Mine guzzled 13 gallons on a 100 mile drive from Phoenix to Tucson... That's probably another problem...grrrr...

I upsized from 13 to 14. I was able to find a set of 4 with tires for $125. Then I turned around and sold my 13s with the tires for $100. You will need to find new hubcaps though. I found a set of 4 for $30. they are out there, and if you post a thread in the WANTED section you might some local redneck who is happy to give you a great deal.

-
Back