1963 Valiant V200 Wagon

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
Well now that its officaly my car, i though i would start a thread on its progress. today i just started cleaning everything up. i tore out the carpet to check the floors. they are rusty, but no holes and its not too bad. maybe just some patch panels. i also degreased the engine bay a bit. im going to try to pull the engine tomorrow. enjoy!

P7191394.jpg

P7191397.jpg

P7191398.jpg

P7191404.jpg

P7191405.jpg

P7191406.jpg

P7191401.jpg

P7191403.jpg

That rust should be ok as long as the floors are still solid and no holes. Por-15 'em. Glad to see the car getting some long overdue tlc.

Shoot that looks like a cool driver. What has to be done to get her on the road. Good luck with it and keep the updates coming Justin

well i got the motor pulled today. took me forever since ive only pulled a motor once before. it should be interisting. i have never really built a motor or had a transmission apart. but my dad is going to help me. so get ready for all the dumb questions guys. i wasnt able to get the tranny out today because i didnt know how to disconnect the pushbutton cables. saturday i will work on that and then i want to clean the engine bay and paint it. oh yeah i need to learn how to paint too. but my girlfriends dad will show me that part. the car is at their house because i dont have anywhere to store it until i sell my scamp. so i will only be working on it on the weekends. well here are a few more pictures.

P7201434.jpg

P7201443.jpg

P7201444.jpg

well i pulled the head off my slant six today. three of the pistons were starting to come apart. the edges were missing a chunk here and there. two of the cylinders have pretty bad scrapes. about 1/16th of an inch deap and an inch long. kind of a bummer, but its my luck, so i am use to it. im gonna finish pulling the motor apart hopefully tomorrow and try to get it to al hubbards to see what he thinks. do you think it would be better to just sleeve it or look for a new block. and will any slant six bolt up to my pushbutton tranny. thanks.

man i feel for you,, i have the same luck,,,,murphy lives here at my home,,, ide look for a block, has to be a ton of slant 6 where your located,, and the newer ones are a little biger cubic inch wise,, wil all bolt to your tranny,,

Congrat's :cheers:You look like you are moving right along.:clock:
That is a sweet wagon,
I never removed a push button shift ether.:dontknow:
Keep up the great work and always enjoy your time with your wagon.:rock:
Looks like you had some help.:-\"
Keep us updated slantscamp :thumbrig:

That sucks but you've still got a great little wagon there to work with. I'd think it would be better (cheaper) to look for another block, if they are easily available. Good luck with it, keep us posted on how your wagons doing:cheers:

Man that sucks about the pistons. Sleeving a block is not a bad idea, but if you can find a pre 68 slant 6 you'll be ok. 68 and up, I believe is the year that the hub in the crank is different size for the torque converter than earlier years. I would let the machinist decide if another block is ok and just reuse your crank or your block can be used. It may just look worse than it actually is.
Either way man, that car is worth the effort.

eh its alright. sometimes i just have to laugh when i see things like this. its healthier than getting all bummed out. anyways. i pulled the pistons out today after work. i probably wont be able to get the block to the shop untill next week, but thats ok. i have plenty to keep me busy. here are some pictures of todays...... um.... i guess you can call progress? oh the piston in the third picture didnt even have a top ring anymore. and when i unbolted the rod cap, the piston just fell out of the block. actually they all kind of fell out. didnt even have to clean up the ridge at the top of the cylinder. thats not normal is it?

P7241446.jpg

P7241453.jpg

P7241454.jpg

well i pulled the tranny yesterday. first thing i had to do was get under the dash and disconnect the pushbutton cables. thats always fun. but everything worked out pretty well. then i spent the next 6 hours stripping and scrubbing the engine bay.

P7261464.jpg

P7261467.jpg

P7261469.jpg

P7261472.jpg

P7261477.jpg

P7261482.jpg

P7261483.jpg

P7261480.jpg

P7261481.jpg

check out what i picked up from some guy on craigslist today. its a service manual for my car. i was pretty happy with the find. then i went to the junkyard and there was a 63 dart! i snagged the bulkhead connector. it looks pretty nice. the rest of the harness was hacked.

P7271493.jpg

P7271488.jpg

here is my wiring i need to fix. all i want to know is why do people use wire nuts in cars. and if you are going to take the time to "fix" something. why do it half *** with bare wire exposed just asking to be shorted out. ugh!!!!

P7271487.jpg

P7271491.jpg

P7271492.jpg

Man ....what happened to the pistons??? Crazy. What a score on the manual, looks like its in good shape.

Looks good overall. Keep us posted.

RARE FIND ! Keep up the good work and it WILL pay-off. I never have been thrilled with push button selectors , since we had a twin to this car in the 60's. There are some good articles out there on proper r+r, though, so making it trouble-free shouldn't be a problem. Have fun with your project. You are re-building America's 'ol' days' one car at a time.:cheers:

here is my wiring i need to fix. all i want to know is why do people use wire nuts in cars. and if you are going to take the time to "fix" something. why do it half *** with bare wire exposed just asking to be shorted out. ugh!!!!

I am always amazed at how crappy of a job some people do wiring on their cars, you can have someone who is an amazing mechanic but totally out to lunch on electrical. Some of the wiring done on my car looks like work someone would do on an old tractor out in the middle of a corn field just to get her running:munky2:eek:ne of the items on my one day to do list!!! Good luck sorting it out, you've made lots of progress in a short time......end result a daily driver, or something more special??? Either way I love your wagon, way cool:cheers:

thanks, im picking up a replacement engine block tomorrow morning. then next week i want to get it down to the machine shop.

alright. i had the day off today so i made some progress on the wagon. i started stripping the paint in the engine compartment. i still have more to do. i only spent about 5 hours sitting in there today. i was using a DA sander to try to get the rusty spots. i was gonna por-15 them after. do you guys think i should just por-15 the whole thing since there is alot of surface rust spread all over. its nothing major. but i figured since its going to be painted a light color, maybe i should por-15 it everywhere so the final coat doesnt look blotchy. or maybe it wont show through once i primer it. i dont know. well here are some pictures.

P8071496.jpg

P8071497.jpg

P8071498.jpg

P8071500.jpg

If you dont mind a mess, sandblasting would be the best way to attack the rust. The POR-15 would work, but that stuff has to be top coated as the UV-Rays attack it , just make sure the rust is clean clean clean and dry before you paint. Myself, I like to use 3M scuff pads and simple green. Then go over it with brakeclean or wax and grease remover. I think Por-15 has something called Marine clean, and then a step called Metal Ready before the rust paint.

-
Back