1964 225 Slant Six with Replaced Electronic Ignition but with No Kick-Down on Torqueflite

-

Bobby Tee

Reaction score
Hello, Mopar Members!

I have a 1964 Dodge Dart GT Convertible (that has been in the family since 1966). My father had an electronic ignition system installed because he was tired of replacing the points. When I assumed ownership, I noticed the Shop that installed the electronic ignition system did not install a Kick-down to the transmission because the Vacuum Advanced was removed. When going up a steep hill, I have to use the Push Button Transmission Selectors to put the Dart in 2nd Range (out of three ranges) to get up the hill with all of those 145 horses under the hood! :lol:

How does one substitute for the Vacuum Advance when an Electronic Ignition System is installed (in a 225 Slant 6)?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

"Semper Fi"

Get a slant electronic distributor with a vac advance. Surprised it does not have one already. Have a picture of it with the cap off?

The distributor vacuum advance and throttle pressure linkage on the transmission are TOTALLY 100% unrelated and I have no clue why anyone would eliminate the throttle pressure linkage to the transmission. IT must, must, MUST be attached and adjusted properly or the transmission will burn up. If it has been driven any length of time at all without it, the damage is already done.

The distributor vacuum advance and throttle pressure linkage on the transmission are TOTALLY 100% unrelated and I have no clue why anyone would eliminate the throttle pressure linkage to the transmission. IT must, must, MUST be attached and adjusted properly or the transmission will burn up. If it has been driven any length of time at all without it, the damage is already done.
(My apologies for incorrectly stating my previous issue!)
I hear and see what you are saying, so let me restate my issue.

The Torqueflite Transmission goes through all three ranges smoothly. However, there is no Passing Gear (downshift range) when you stomp on the throttle as it used to have, nor does the Torqueflite Trany automatically downshift when going up a steep hill.

What might be the obvious problem after the Shop installed an Electronic Ignition System (I noticed there is no longer a vacuum advance outside the distributor housing.)?

Thank you for your patience with me and my Shade Tree Mechanic explanation of the issue!

Last edited:
(My apologies for incorrectly stating my previous issue!)
I hear and see what you are saying, so let me restate my issue.

The Torqueflite Transmission goes through all three ranges smoothly. However, there is no Passing Gear (downshift range) when you stomp on the throttle as it used to have, nor does the Torqueflite Trany automatically downshift when going up a steep hill.

What might be the obvious problem after the Shop installed an Electronic Ignition System (I noticed there is no longer a vacuum advance outside the distributor housing.)

Thank you for your patience with me and my Shade Tree Mechanic explanation of the issue!
Thanks for that. But my original description is still correct. What you don't understand is this. That linkage is not "just" for kickdown and "passing gear". The correct name is throttle pressure linkage. See, unlike Ford or GM, that linkage DIRECTLY affects the line pressure in the transmission. Push more on the gas pedal and the linkage gives the transmission more line pressure to hold the clutches together. Without that, you will burn up high gear first, followed by 2nd and finally 1st.....and it does not take long to do it! So DON'T drive it anymore until you get that linkage installed and adjusted correctly.

Does it have a kick down linkage? Basically a rod from the carb to a lever on the transmission Rob is asking.

Get a slant electronic distributor with a vac advance. Surprised it does not have one already. Have a picture of it with the cap off?
It's a just a plain distributer cap and just below on the distributor itself I remember there used to be a diaphragm housing with a vacuum hose to the 1 Barrel Carter Carburetor. The new distributor no longer has a vacuum hose attachment to it. ‍♂️

1703081659924.png

Thanks for that. But my original description is still correct. What you don't understand is this. That linkage is not "just" for kickdown and "passing gear". The correct name is throttle pressure linkage. See, unlike Ford or GM, that linkage DIRECTLY affects the line pressure in the transmission. Push more on the gas pedal and the linkage gives the transmission more line pressure to hold the clutches together. Without that, you will burn up high gear first, followed by 2nd and finally 1st.....and it does not take long to do it! So DON'T drive it anymore until you get that linkage installed and adjusted correctly.

Oh wow! I can see what you mean about the damage being caused if this is not fixed ASAP!

Thank you, Sir!

It's a just a plain distributer cap and just below on the distributor itself I remember there used to be a diaphragm housing with a vacuum hose to the 1 Barrel Carter Carburetor. The new distributor no longer has a vacuum hose attachment to it. ‍♂️
Sounds like a industrial mechanical distributor. But is unrelated like Rusty stated. We are trying to help here not be idiots.

Does anyone know of a reputable mechanic that will work on a 1964 Dodge Dart in the Dallas, Texas area? I have called the several of the Shops that used to fix the Dart, but they will no longer accept antique cars and the mechanics who worked on them have since "departed".

I would also look and see what parts you will need for it also can take a while to find them. Including the lever arm on the transmission. Here is a good place to look for it a lot of slant guys have parts around they are willing to sell.

Sounds like a industrial mechanical distributor. But is unrelated like Rusty stated. We are trying to help here not be idiots.
My apologies, Sir, and Gentlemen!

I have read the blogs for a while and now I am needing help because I survived my bladder cancer and chemotherapy over the past two years, and I am unable to work on things like I used to (the muscles and my brain housing group just don't function like they used to after all that Liquid Drano injected into my body!). I have total respect for all your knowledge and expertise, and I wish you were nearby so I could buy you a dinner and beer for all your help!

My sincere apologies if I offended anyone and I cherish your advice!!!

I have read the blogs for a while and now I am needing help because I survived my bladder cancer and chemotherapy over the past two years, and I am unable to work on things like I used to (the muscles and my brain housing group just don't function like they used to after all that Liquid Drano injected into my body!). I have total respect for all your knowledge and expertise, and I wish you were nearby so I could buy you a dinner and beer for all your help!

No sweat man. Trying to get it back to normal for you. I wonder what happened to the linkage. Last shop take it off? Prob never know. You have to find one and get it put on.

Greetings from WV

Post up some pictures please. Makes it much easier to understand what you are working with.

As a 64 convertible owner +1 on Rusty Rat Rod Comments. There are some super knowledgeable guys in here. Linkage is tricky. There's a lot to read

Some sources
To better understand the transmission...

Tom Hand's A904 Torqueflite book

And for most parts:

Home - A&A Transmissions

Be careful with the early 904s. They are dual pumped and require the correct dual-inlet filters

good luck.

If you need to find a Mopar mechanic in your area you might want to ask here: South Central Region

Does it have a kick down linkage? Basically a rod from the carb to a lever on the transmission Rob is asking.
Thank you, Sir!

I will verify if that linkage on the driver side of the 1BL Carter Carburetor is still there (My dad replaced the 1BL Carter with a 1BL Holley and then went back to a 1BL Carter, so I will check).

pictures would be tremendously helpful here.

if you're capable of doing a small amount of work we may be able to get you sorted, there's no real heavy lifting here and depending on the situation it might just be a matter of hooking things back up correctly.

pictures would be tremendously helpful here.

if you're capable of doing a small amount of work we may be able to get you sorted, there's no real heavy lifting here and depending on the situation it might just be a matter of hooking things back up correctly.
Thank you, Gentlemen!

I really appreciate your help on this!

The 1964 Dodge Dart Convertible GT (50th Golden Anniversary Model) is very sentimental to me because my father was a Pearl Harbor Survivor, B-17 Bomber Pilot during WWII in the Pacific and shot down by Zeros four times, is a veteran of the Korean Conflict, and served two tours in Vietnam (USAF MACV HQ Saigon and then on loan to Air America based out of Thailand).

I also became a USMC combat vet on the frontlines with 10th Marines HQ Battery (Artillery Radar) and then attached to the 1st of the 3rd Tiger Brigade (Mechanized Armor "Hell On Wheels") during Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

We loved to enter the 1964 Dodge Dart in the Veterans Day parades, but my dad passed away and then I came down with cancer. The Dart sat idle for the past 5-years and I am trying to get it going again and back into the Veterans Day parades, so any help is most appreciated!!!

Sincerely and "Semper Fi"
Bobby T

1964 Dodge Dart GT Convertable 50th Golden Anniversary Edition_2020 Refurb Completed.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of my '66 Dart GT linkage , note the '66 used a cable to operate the throttle , the rest of the linkage is what you should have on your '64 .

IMG_1217.jpeg

IMG_1218.jpeg

-
Back