1964 Dodge Dart - Wheel Stuck

-
Thanks for the picture, that helps, I will adjust the brakes with a screwdriver tomorrow. Sorry about sounding simple about the blue center cap, but with my picture I thought it would help to point it out to get help.

The center blue cap IS the axle. Is the other wheel on the ground, could be a suregrip rear locked up.

Your picture is a bit fuzzy so I will ask do the lugs have these splines protruding the drum where the drum and lug touch? If yes that could be the issue.

upload_2022-5-6_9-16-51.png

I would judge that by the looks of it that this car hasn't moved in awhile and that is why the OP is trying to get the drum freed up. So moving the car back and forth is not an option unless you want him to drag it with a big **** truck.

View attachment 1715923286
On the other hand, why would you do a brake job on a car that doesn't run? Oh, and a sure grip won't keep the drum from coming off. The axle and drum will still turn slightly.

SUCCESS !!! My son was able to turn the brake adjustment wheel through the access hole in the back. It wasn't exactly easy, everything is rusty. But after adjusting the brake, he whacked the drum with a sledge hammer all the way around and the drum finally came off. The axle turns freely.
By the way, we got the engine running a couple of weeks ago. After we got the old gas out of the fuel system, we installed a new fuel filter, put in fresh gas, and tried to start it. No luck, so we cleaned the points and surprise, surprise, we got it started. A lot to be said for the old slant 6 engines. We also checked the push-button transmission and it will go into forward and reverse.
I am now 67 years old now and haven't touched a set of points in maybe 45-50 years. My son has never had to deal with them. As I have told my sons on numerous occasions, "Well, it's a good thing to know."
Thanks again to all. Picture attached. Ed

IMG_0417.jpg

Good job. I have a brake drum puller that would have gotten that off in a jiffy. Probable would have taken the brake shoes with it. lol

SUCCESS !!! My son was able to turn the brake adjustment wheel through the access hole in the back. It wasn't exactly easy, everything is rusty. But after adjusting the brake, he whacked the drum with a sledge hammer all the way around and the drum finally came off. The axle turns freely.
By the way, we got the engine running a couple of weeks ago. After we got the old gas out of the fuel system, we installed a new fuel filter, put in fresh gas, and tried to start it. No luck, so we cleaned the points and surprise, surprise, we got it started. A lot to be said for the old slant 6 engines. We also checked the push-button transmission and it will go into forward and reverse.
I am now 67 years old now and haven't touched a set of points in maybe 45-50 years. My son has never had to deal with them. As I have told my sons on numerous occasions, "Well, it's a good thing to know."
Thanks again to all. Picture attached. Ed

View attachment 1715924504
Congrats. I can tell you that we all really like it when a member asks for help, tries the suggestions given and has "SUCCESS". What I REALLY like is that you did an excellent job of keeping us advised of progress, AND you shared your success in a post with a picture. I can't tell you how many times someone has asked for help and we either never heard from them again, or never found out if the beat their problem. Great job.

Be proud she put up a good fight! :confederateflag:

-
Back