1964 Signet 200

-
Hallo Scott,

Ich freue mich immer deine Bilder zu sehen .

Ich warte schon auf die nächsten :)

Thanks Uli. I'll have some more photos soon. The motor and transmission are in the car and we should have it runnng within a couple of weeks.

Update? Ok, I'll help ya out.

valiant79.jpg

valiant80.jpg

Hi Scott,

you make a very nice job

THX for Pic´s

My Fish goes this day to careen !
I hope you understand ? :)))

Greetings my FABO All Dud´s

The motor, transmission, shifter, and drive shaft all went in pretty smoothly. We got some additional wiring and plumbing done (had to use a temporary radiator from my friend's Duster) and got the car running. Fun.

It's got a pretty aggressive cam, sounds snotty as hell under high revs and has a really nice lopey idle. Some carb adjustment is required and we should be all wrapped up under the hood.

We put temporary wheels and tires on it just to get the chassis sitting on the suspension points. Now that it is we will adjust the hood, trunk, and doors and we'll be ready to start body work again.

PASS SIDE PROFILE.jpg

MOTOR - DRIVE.jpg

MOTOR - FRONT.jpg

MOTOR - PASS.jpg

We're in the process of blocking out the Valiant for one more coat of filler primer before sealer and paint. It seems the car was dented on the roof and the material was so flimsy it would not be sanded flat...we decided to weld in some 1/2" square tube to stiffen it up. That seems to have done the trick...we'll shrink the sheet metal and add a little filler to get the shape right...then back to blocking.

roof braces.jpg

I just checked out this tread and your 64 sure has made some great changes lately :cheers:
That color is going to look so good =P~
Get ready for a fast early A ride sshomer :tongue9:
Looking REAL good =P~:cheers:

We're in the process of blocking out the Valiant for one more coat of filler primer before sealer and paint. It seems the car was dented on the roof and the material was so flimsy it would not be sanded flat...we decided to weld in some 1/2" square tube to stiffen it up. That seems to have done the trick...we'll shrink the sheet metal and add a little filler to get the shape right...then back to blocking.

That's a great picture. Please email me the most recent pictures you have.

that ought to stiffen her up significantly! just kinda curious as to why 1/2" tube? and how many did you install? did you radius the tubes? how much weld? i know i'm kinda prying. just my nosey nature!!!!! this thing is gonna be something really special!

that ought to stiffen her up significantly! just kinda curious as to why 1/2" tube? and how many did you install? did you radius the tubes? how much weld? i know i'm kinda prying. just my nosey nature!!!!! this thing is gonna be something really special!

We used 1/2" tube because we figured it wouldn't interfere with the head liner but still be fairly rigid. There were two braces added, the one that is being welded in the photo and you can see the other just to the right (towards the rear of the car). We did our best to bend the tubes to match the crown of the roof and the steep drop at the drip rails, then they were tacked in and hammedered on a little to get a better shape. The tubes are stich welded along their entire length, both sides.

Over the last couple of weeks we finished the body work, got one more coat of filler primer on the car, got the whole car sanded in 320 grit, remasked everything, and sprayed the jambs, rockers, etc. with sealer, color, and clear.

This week we'll tape lines at the radius blends where we shot the jambs and then re-sand the whole car in 400 grit and spray the rest of it.

Hoping for good weather.

IN MASKS.jpg

HEADLIGHT DRIVE.jpg

HEADLIGHT PASS.jpg

TRUNK.jpg

PLASTIC1.jpg

We got a ton of work done this weekend. Between Friday night and Saturday we got the entire car blocked out in 400 grit and then re-masked the car at the radius blends between the body and the door jambs, etc.

Sunday the car was wiped down with wax and grease remover (four times at least) then sprayed with two coats of sealer, two coats of base, and two coats of clear. We had a bit of an issue with over-spray, but with a little bit of light sanding on the deck lid between sealer and color and a wipe with wax and grease remover between the last color coat and the first clear everything laid out really nicely.

The plan is to scuff the car with Scotch-Brite this week and put two more coats of clear on, then wet sand and buff. Should look nice.

1PREP2.jpg

1PREP4.jpg

2SEALERA.jpg

2SEALERB.jpg

2SEALERC.jpg

ACTION1.jpg

COWL-DR1.jpg

HOOD-DR1.jpg

PASS SIDE-BACK1.jpg

QUARTER-PASS1.jpg

I love that color. I have an '09 Wrangler in Sunburst Orange which is similar...That Valiant is going to look quite sharp.

Looking great.

From one garage painter to another, I have one recommendation as far as your next clear coat session. I would try to block the car very lightly in the flat areas with 600grit wet to get rid of any orange peel and urethane waves. Your clear will have a much higher gloss if you sand your clear with 400-800 grit before re-clearing. Since you only have 2 coats of clear you'll have to be very careful with cutting through the clear as you already know. I love having extra clear on the car so I can get a really good cut and buff. I hate orange peel and urethane wave. Just takes forever to sand it all out.

Goodluck with the next clear session. Love the color!!!!:cheers:

Looking great! Just started my resto I have a long way to go. Cant wait to see it done!

Since SSHOMER is occupied with family things, I'll post an update on his behalf. Wet sanding took quite a long time, but the car is buffed. She still needs a pass with glazing compund. Then we can finally move on with assembly.

valiant108.jpg

valiant109.jpg

OH yeah!!!!!!!!!!! nothin like the smell of fresh paint and compound.....

Looks awesome!

-
Back