1964 Signet 200

-

sshomer

Reaction score
So, I’ve been kicking around on FABO for about a year now and I finally (just before Mopar Nationals) got my car into the shop. To this point the car’s been in storage and I’ve been able to take inventory (the car was a basket when I bought it), do some disassembly, cleaning, painting, and scrounging for parts, advice, and ideas while trying (I’m really new to this) to help friends get a couple of other cars ready for Columbus, OH (see FABO member fourspeed’s “Dirtbag Duster” build).​

The car was someone else’s project that sat untouched for about five years in its current condition, which is pretty damn clean. It’s a ’64 Valiant Signet200, 273, four-speed. Should be a really fun little car.​

It was pretty complete as far as parts go. The motor was fresh out of a shop, but that will get torn down and re-built - Commando style with dual exhaust. The transmission and bell housing were included and an 8 ¾ rear end is in it (the previous owner had a spool in it which will be replaced – the setup will be a cone-type Sure-Grip with 3:23 or 3:55 gears). All of the glass but the windshield came with it and all of the trim was there (minus some insignia, etc.). The dash assembly is pretty solid (some cleaning and refinishing required) but the rest of the interior will be redone from scratch.​

Many thanks to all FABO members who’ve already helped me out. I’ll try to keep posting as the car progresses…hopefully be ready for ‘Nats 2010.​

BROADSIDE AT BRIANS.JPG

DRSIDE30.JPG

PASSIDE30.JPG

COIL-OVERS.jpg

STEERING LINKAGE BEFORE.JPG

ENGINE BAY BEFORE.JPG

DRWW30.JPG

PASSWW30.JPG

PASS FLOOR30.JPG

PASSCPILLAR30.JPG

Looks really solid. Should be a fun little car when completed. Def. keep us updated with pictures.

Nice! Missed you guys tonight - a big project at work had me working a little later than normal. I may be late tomorrow too, but I will make it there one way or another. I can't miss the root beer.

Since I last posted we’ve made a little headway…​

The entire front end suspension has been removed from the car and the components (that are not being replaced) are in the process of being sand blasted and otherwise readied for repaint. The underbody has been cleaned, prepped, and painted from bumper to bumper and the same has been done for the front wheel wells.​

The remaining components were removed from the engine bay. It was then cleaned, prepped, and painted – two coats epoxy primer, two coats color, and two coats clear.​

Hopefully over the next week or so we can get the same done for the door jambs and front and rear valence panels…​

ENGINE BAY BEFORE.JPG

ECPRIM30.JPG

FK5ONFIREWALL30.JPG

FK5WITHMALTLIQ30.JPG

CLEARPASSSIDE30.JPG

CLEARFULLVIEW30.JPG

The color code is FK5. It's a 1970 (I'm told) Plymouth color, 'deep burnt orange metallic'. It looks a lot better without all the clear-coat haze in the air.

Any updates on this beast? It was looking really good, love that color!

We've got pretty much the whole car in filler primer and ready to block out. Been too busy to format / upload pics...hopefully will have some updates this weekend. Thanks for the interest.

Congrat's on a great early A :cheers: That sure is a dandy coupe you have going =P~
This is going to be a nother great build to watch sshomer :cheers:
Looks like you know what you are doing :-D Keep up the good work and please continue to keep us updated :cheers:

Congrat's on a great early A :cheers: That sure is a dandy coupe you have going =P~
This is going to be a nother great build to watch sshomer :cheers:
Looks like you know what you are doing :-D Keep up the good work and please continue to keep us updated :cheers:

I appreciate the compliment, but it's more like I hang around with people who know what they're doing. The boys at The S & M Shop have been a huge help.

The body work continues...

We found a couple of surprises, a little fender rust, some rot in the rear valence panel, and a drip rail that rotted thru. No major catastrophies, just some additional time, effort, weld, and filler.

The door jambs, interior door surfaces, deck lid drip rail, and the undersides of the deck lid and hood have all been prepped, primed, sealed, painted, and clear-coated.

The plan now is to get the rest of the body work done (all fairly minor) and get the car blocked out in 180 grit so we can get it into filler primer before winter.

DRIP RAIL WELD.JPG

TRUNK PREP.JPG

PASS DOOR FK5.JPG

DECK LID FK5.JPG

DOOR JAMB PREP.JPG

DRIVER DOOR FK5.JPG

HOOD FK5.JPG

DECK LID JAMB FK5.JPG

Looks like a great little Early-A!with a 4 speed to boot!I really like the colour,the car seems to be in great shape.I,ve also swapped to V8(360)and have swapped to disc. brakes and a 8 3/4 3.91 s.g with Moser axels.These little cars are starting to make a big comeback.Keep up the great progress!My next job is a mini-tub with spring reloc.,new XHD leafs.Here,s mine before and after pics.

DSC_0435.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 004.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 003.jpg

We've gotten a lot done since last updates...

- Interior floors prepped and painted

- Trunk surfaces prepped and speckle-painted

- Dash stripped, prepped, and painted...should look great with the chrome trim and pad in place

- The major body work is done and the whole car is in filler primer, waiting for spring so we can get the color / clear on it

1DOOR JAMB PREP.JPG

2FLOOR-PAINT.jpg

3DECK LID JAMB FK5.JPG

4TRUNK PAINTED.jpg

5DASH30.JPG

6DASH PAINTED.jpg

7PASS SIDE FRONT.JPG

8PASS SIDE - PRIME.JPG

On the mechanical side of things...

- All of the front suspension components and K-member are blasted, prepped, and painted. Everything is re-assembled out to the spindles (thanks Waggin!).

- We added an anti-sway bar, Craig did a marvelous job fabricating mounting brackets.

- We completely rebuilt the rear end - 355 gears, all new bearings, cone-type Sure-Grip (never been in a car), new yoke, Green axle bearings, and re-built drive shaft.

9K-MEMBER.jpg

10SPINDLE.jpg

11-741 REBUILT.jpg

12-AXLE.jpg

Impressive! wish I had the space, time and know-how.

Very nice =P~ I see a tune of work 8) and well dun :cheers:
enjoy this great build sshomer :happy10: I am :-D

Sweet car and rich color, thanks for sharing, will be better than new when you're done.

-
Back