1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
The wheel housings? Any way to just get a boneyard piece cut off of anything and cut an bend and weld and make it work?? Only way I can ever get close to such is taking flat sheet and just cutting and banging and bending and forming till it works and weld all the seams, crude yet it works....sorta. Really need 18 ga but that is hard to work and 20 ga. is aweful light! Bu I bet those dudes on TV car shows with their fancy trip hammers are banging 20 ga???

Years ago I did a 69 Coronet RT and had to get the outer wheelhouse from same yr 4 door car, it took some work but it worked out good.

The wheel housings? Any way to just get a boneyard piece cut off of anything and cut an bend and weld and make it work?? Only way I can ever get close to such is taking flat sheet and just cutting and banging and bending and forming till it works and weld all the seams, crude yet it works....sorta. Really need 18 ga but that is hard to work and 20 ga. is aweful light! Bu I bet those dudes on TV car shows with their fancy trip hammers are banging 20 ga???

Years ago I did a 69 Coronet RT and had to get the outer wheelhouse from same yr 4 door car, it took some work but it worked out good.
It's an extremely compound curve and I'm not good at that at all. I could use a good used piece. The problem is finding it.

Vixen, Kitty and I had a REAL close call with a BIG deer coming down a popular road on the way home late yesterday afternoon. The deer ran out in front of the car from the passenger to the driver side. It HAD to be less than a FOOT away from the driver front corner, but we didn't hit it. I wouldda had to get the doc to prescribe me some anti depressants if that happened. That wouldda broke my heart.

Vixen, Kitty and I had a REAL close call with a BIG deer coming down a popular road on the way home late yesterday afternoon. The deer ran out in front of the car from the passenger to the driver side. It HAD to be less than a FOOT away from the driver front corner, but we didn't hit it. I wouldda had to get the doc to prescribe me some anti depressants if that happened. That wouldda broke my heart.
This is one of my great fears when I'm out on one of my favorite local drives. Glad you and Vixen dodged that bullet!

Was at a friend's house today helping him put a new carburetor on his truck and getting it all tuned. As I left, I backed out into the street and I put it in 1st and gave it some go pedal and all at the same time, my foot slipped off the clutch and something in the rear end broke. I believe it actually snapped an axle shaft. My friend was kind enough to have her towed home and I will inspect her soon and see what's up. Drive shaft turns fine but the old girl is dead in the water.

Your foot slipped off the clutch...sure. I have used that excuse before :steering:
LOL Well, I know I know. But that's exactly what happened. That's why I'm so shocked. I guess it was about ready to break.

I understand. have broken a 7 1/4 myself, I actually exploded the spider gears. Time for the 9 inch to go in?

I understand. have broken a 7 1/4 myself, I actually exploded the spider gears. Time for the 9 inch to go in?
Well, I need a sack of money to fall out of the sky for that. The custom axles have me hung up there. I'm hoping it is an axle, as that would be the easier fix. Maybe I can find one on here somewhere. Hopefully. Gotta verify that's what it is, first. I am pretty sure that's it.

October 1981 my future wife and I along with a friend of ours drove my old '66 Barracuda (Commando, four speed, 3.23 7-1/4) from Fresno to Pomona for the Street Machine Nationals and then the long way home up the coast. That was at least 650 miles over the weekend. The next Wednesday I left Donna's place around midnight and headed home. I was driving easy and gently slowed with the brakes from about 10mph at a stop sign. The car didn't move when I let the clutch out. There was no warning, no noise. Got it towed home and pulled the axles the next day. Right axle was sheared off at the splines. I called the previous owner (a close friend and the older brother of the guy that went to Pomona with us). In the five years he had owned the car he had broken the other axle and two sets of spider gears. Fortunately I already had an 8-3/4 with 3.23SG out of a '67 Rallye package Dart GT.

Well, I need a sack of money to fall out of the sky for that. The custom axles have me hung up there. I'm hoping it is an axle, as that would be the easier fix. Maybe I can find one on here somewhere. Hopefully. Gotta verify that's what it is, first. I am pretty sure that's it.IF (sometime a big if!_

IF I remember right (that is sometime a big IF, I pulled the 7 1/4 out of my 62 Lancer and put the axles in the shed. If you need, just pay shipping.
I know I have the axles and think they came out of the Lancer!! :BangHead:

Last edited:
IF I remember right (that is sometime a big IF, I pulled the 7 1/4 out of my 62 Lancer and put the axles in the shed. If you need, just pay shipping.
I know I have the axles and think they came out of the Lancer!! :BangHead:
Thanks! I will definitely let you know when I confirm what it is. It'll be a day or three after it warms up a little.

Well, I removed the rear cover and the small spider gears are stripped. So, I need either a good 4 piece carrier gear set OR a good complete open carrier for a 64 Valiant with a 7 1/4. Look for a wanted ad in the classifieds.

My apologies to all that said they'd help. I have not had a chance to get the carrier out for closer inspection. We were tied up at church pretty much all day. Now it's too dang cold to mess with, but I will get it out tomorrow and post pictures.

Texas sent you the cold and now we have 4 days of heavy rain forecast. I will dig out my 7 1/4 rear and get it apart when I can. I still can not figure (remember) why it is not in a car!

Aight den. Here's the carnage I promised. lol These four gears are really All that I need, but it has to be a nine bolt cover 7.25 where the axles are held in with the four hole plate behind the axle flange, just like an 8 3/4. Otherwise it will be a later model c clip rear end which will not interchange parts. Thank you drive through.
7.25 CARNAGE.JPG

Aight den. Here's the carnage I promised. lol These four gears are really All that I need, but it has to be a nine bolt cover 7.25 where the axles are held in with the four hole plate behind the axle flange, just like an 8 3/4. Otherwise it will be a later model c clip rear end which will not interchange parts. Thank you drive through.
View attachment 1716196097
If it will stop raining tomorrow for 5 minutes I will check my housing.

I know it’s a little bit of work but an 8.8 ford would be a great fit for vixen. Usually you can grab em on marketplace for cheap.

I know it’s a little bit of work but an 8.8 ford would be a great fit for vixen. Usually you can grab em on marketplace for cheap.
This is what's so nutty. I HAVE an almost complete Ford 9" narrowed to A body specs with 4.11 gears to go under her. The custom axles are hangin me up. Bout $500 for the pair, because they have to be 31 spline Ford 9" on the carrier side and Mopar A body small bolt pattern and small flange on the outside. I plan on getting it done some time this year, but until then.......

Oh gotcha. That makes much more sense as to why you’re going to fix the 7-1/4. It’s a “just for now kinda thing”.

Oh gotcha. That makes much more sense as to why you’re going to fix the 7-1/4. It’s a “just for now kinda thing”.
Yup. You got it. And I have a five gallon bucket SLAM FULL of Mopar internal carrier parts. Of course all that's in there are parts for 8 3/4 and 8 1/4. lol

If you weren’t all the way across the damn country I’d give you an abody 7-1/4 that’s coming out of my dart.

The ol spider gears. Pretty much the weak link of the 7.25.
Usually go south when you are turning a corner, with your foot into it. More so in the peg leg version.

You probably would be better off to pick up a complete 7.25.
People are pretty much giving them away.

-
Back