1965 A body 4 speed ball and trunion to Slip yoke ?

-
Whatever you do, don't lose the original 65 gearset with its 3.09 low gear. With street rear gears, the difference between the 3.09 and the 2.66 will amaze you. But not in a good way.

BTW, those 65 gears will fit in a later trans. That's what I have, after driving for a couple of years with a later trans and its original 2.66 low gear. With that trans and 3.23 rear gears, it was an absolute dog off the line. Fortunately, I saved the original 65 gears and they are what's in the car now.
At this point. Im not getting rid of the 65. I already rebuilt it. Im not going to back track and do the whole swapping into a later body A833. I will be running 3:73s

At this point. Im not getting rid of the 65. I already rebuilt it. Im not going to back track and do the whole swapping into a later body A833. I will be running 3:73s
Good. The only reason I got rid of my original 65 trans is the center needle bearings (going by ancient memory here) wore a groove in the main shaft and I was told it was neither fixable nor replaceable. Not sure that was true, but we're talking about mid-70s here (when my Barracuda already had over 200,000 miles on it and there was no internet and no Mopar clubs). At the time, I didn't know any other Mopar people, and didn't know about the difference in low gear ratios.

I have ball and trunion on other cars. Main issue with them to me is they are much more trouble and expense to R&R than standard u-joints. And the parts get harder to find, and more expensive, every year.

BTW, some overall low gear ratios with the 3.09 and 2.66 gearsets are:

3.23 rear gears and 2.66 low gear - 8.59
3.73 rear gears and 2.66 low gear - 9.92
3.23 rear gears and 3.09 low gear - 9.98
3.91 rear gears and 2.66 low gear - 10.4
3.73 rear gears and 3.09 low gear - 11.53

if you've got the 3.09 gear (which you most likely do), with 3.73's it's gonna be a rocket out of the hole. expect to be reaching for 2nd near about the time you're across a wide intersection!

Whatever you do, don't lose the original 65 gearset with its 3.09 low gear. With street rear gears, the difference between the 3.09 and the 2.66 will amaze you. But not in a good way.

BTW, those 65 gears will fit in a later trans. That's what I have, after driving for a couple of years with a later trans and its original 2.66 low gear. With that trans and 3.23 rear gears, it was an absolute dog off the line. Fortunately, I saved the original 65 gears and they are what's in the car now.
i had the 3.09 and was okay with it because the rear was 3.23's which was an excellent set up with the short "205" tires i had on there. especially around town and on the track. it just kinda nosed over after 100mph though...

If you need a slip yoke transmission, get another transmission and the appropriate driveshaft.

If you need to keep the ratios you have and they are not available in the slip yoke case then you will swap the extension housing and the output shaft from a donor transmission onto your flanged output case.

the ball n trunion has a cast iron body, they break, under lots of power, i use to run one in my 235/363 stocker, broke the cast housing, they are not very stout,, slip joints are way better, just food for thought

any 4x4 shop can make you a slip joint drive shaft as many 4X4's run these. MP used to make a conversion kit for the flanged tailshafts.

-
Back