-
Status
Not open for further replies.

65barracudaLA

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking for a 1965 A904 transmission for small block V8/ 273 in Southern California for my '65 Barracuda. I have a console that I want to keep and so I'm looking for 1965 (and possibly 1964) 904s. It's for my daily driver and I want to avoid to have to mess around with anything to be able to get it back on the road in no time. Condition is not so important as long as it is complete. Please offer what you got. If there's a 273/ 318/ 340/ 360 attached to it I'd buy that too.

DU54mcsgI7eG13tLDDIx0t7aVkeOsEsaOiZLB4kSBJLk-Rc4asdwrwf3lOnVrxMv6fOI_Q=w1422-h1066-no?authuser=0.jpg

(This is what it's for; it's an original 273 2BBL V8 car (hence the V8 badges), but the previous owner had swapped in a 1983 Super Six Slant 6 (and slant 6 904) for whatever reason.)

31ED1F82-C8C3-4319-8E23-67C1D3F71F89.jpeg
E7B02A06-0350-4A58-9AE5-E36576444C9D.jpeg
So you’re looking for a cable shift 904 correct? The floor consul? I do have a 273 that is complete and minus the carb. It is dated 2/26/66. Runs amazing. It is what I had in my 65 dart until I swapped in a 340. I’m asking $500. Or, I would consider selling my 1/17/71 340 that is currently in the dart. It runs amazing. New water pump, new oil pump, new gaskets. That’s the same as the 273 as well. For the 340 I am asking $850 minus the carb, although I do have a thermal quad that goes on it. Are you looking for four barrel or two barrel? I also have a four or a two barrel intake for the 273. The orange engine is the 273 right after I installed it. It still looks nice but a bit dirtier.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Here is the two barrel intake. I also have some two barrel carburetors that would need to be rebuilt. I am in Temecula.

Yes, I'm looking for a cable shift 904 and my my car has the console. As far as I know the '64 has a different valve body, but I could swap in the valve body from the slant 6 tranny that is currently in the car. Do you have any of those?

Temecula is luckily not that far, I'm in L.A. (Eagle Rock).

Both engines sound like a great deal -especially the 340, but I want to find a transmission first, before I start looking for an engine.

Yes, I'm looking for a cable shift 904 and my my car has the console. As far as I know the '64 has a different valve body, but I could swap in the valve body from the slant 6 tranny that is currently in the car. Do you have any of those?

Temecula is luckily not that far, I'm in L.A. (Eagle Rock).

Both engines sound like a great deal -especially the 340, but I want to find a transmission first, before I start looking for an engine.
Unfortunately the only cable shift 904 I have is actually in my car. I know they were a one year only I believe. If I could find a four-speed set up I’d consider parting with the 904. It would just have to be the right exchange. If you find a transmission and need an engine let me know. The 273 does have exhaust manifolds. Right now I’m running the 273 exhaust manifolds on the 340. Neither engine would come with exhaust manifolds as I would need those

Do you have any of the kickdown linkage or anything related to it? That’s another piece that can be hard to find. I’ll throw this out there, I also have a 318 that is complete that was in my Dart when I bought it. It’s locked up. I don’t know why as I have not dug into it. I would sell that cheap for like 100 bucks if you want it. I’d give you a carb and anything else that might help out.

I have a Lokar kickdown cable on my Super Six slant right now that I am pretty sure I will be able to reuse. It seems like everything but the 904 is relatively easy to find, that's why I want to start there. Ideally I'm looking for a rusted out or wrecked '65 Valiant with a V8 that I could just swap over including exhaust etc. I want to keep it as cheap and simple as possible. There's a '64 Dart that is cheap that I have thought about buying.

I have a Lokar kickdown cable on my Super Six slant right now that I am pretty sure I will be able to reuse. It seems like everything but the 904 is relatively easy to find, that's why I want to start there. Ideally I'm looking for a rusted out or wrecked '65 Valiant with a V8 that I could just swap over including exhaust etc. I want to keep it as cheap and simple as possible. There's a '64 Dart that is cheap that I have thought about buying.
Believe me, I know!! pretty much everything for a 65 is hard to find. I’m experiencing the same thing with my car. Sometimes it’s actually easier just to buy a complete car like you said and pick off what you want. If you do find a transmission make sure the cables are in good shape. A new set of shift cables are like $500.

64 and 65 should be the same trans, cable and B&T shaft mount. 66 up to end of 67, the trans still had the small convertor snout but had slip joint drive shaft. You can get a Hurst Pro-matic and put it under the original 64/65 console and you can't tell the diff 'cept the HURST on the shifter shaft. Even the ball is black.

Thanks for the advice, pishta. But like I said, I want to keep it as simple and cheap as possible. I don't want to mess with a new shifter/ drive shaft etc. I'm also in no hurry at all - I'm just gonna wait until I find what I'm looking for. The slant 6 is running really well.

I just moved to south carolina from the palm springs area about 4 months ago, I have one that came out of my 65 cuda that I'm not using. sorry

Thanks, Bob! That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll keep it in mind for the next time I'm in the bay area, in case you still have it then (I wrote down your number from the craigslist ad).

too bad you're so far away...

I have a 904 transmission that's out of a 65 Barracuda with 45,000 miles on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back