-
Status
Not open for further replies.

hangtendartsport

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
1965 Barracuda with Factory 273 Commando 235HP Engine, factory 4-speed with Hurst linkage, Factory Sure Grip, Factory A/C, Power Brakes, Power Steering, AM Radio, Padded Dash, Deluxe Seat Belts, Day nite Mirror, Remote Driver's side mirror. This car retains its original Paint, White, and still has its original interior, Blue. This car was special ordered in September of 1964, and includes a large amount of history and paperwork. This car is documented with original Purchase agreement, original invoice, Certicard, Original Owner's manual issued for this car, numerous letters from the Original owner to Plymouth, both handwritten and typed. He even saved the return envelopes from Chrysler. Also a log book that documents from new every gas fill up and maintenence service performed on the vehicle. Maintenence receipts included. This Barracuda was given to his son, with 87,385 miles around 9 years ago. His son kept the car in his garage, and it has been registered non op until 2010. it now has just over 88,000 original miles. Also comes with every registration issued yearly, and insurance identification from Orignal owner. It runs great, no known issues. This is an original Survivor type car. 14,000

need to see her....sound good but need to take a close look..when they sit everything gets
a little rusty, dry rot and brittle...pictures will help

here are some pictures, I have more, but too large to put here.

Attachments

• 14001_IMAGE3.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 2,072
  • 14001_IMAGE8.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,805
  • 14001_IMAGE1.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,910
  • 14001_IMAGE2.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,769
  • 14001_IMAGE4 (1).JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 14001_IMAGE6.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,724
  • 14001_IMAGE5.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,732
  • 14001_IMAGE7.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,707
Wow, what a nice car, love the color combo too, can't beat an original car like this, good luck with the sale!!

Have any engine pictures? I know a guy here restoring a 65 Dart 273 commando and wants it correct as possible, he would love some nice pics of the engine bay, especially if it is still unrestored!!

That is really a PIECE OF HISTORY-SHARP , What happened to the stripe down the hood.roof and trunk center-I THOUGHT all the Commando HP'S HAD ONE ..why do you want to sell it.
Is there a trade possible

That is really a PIECE OF HISTORY-SHARP , What happened to the stripe down the hood.roof and trunk center-I THOUGHT all the Commando HP'S HAD ONE ..why do you want to sell it.
Is there a trade possible

The stripe was an option

Where / what state is the car from ?
Past paint or body issues ?
runs fine, does everything work ?
oil leaks ?
Was a lot of service work done after 10 years of sitting ?
I am very interested.:burnout:

No trades.
The car was originally from Pa. Moved to California in 1970. it is documented with Registration, Inspection receipts, and insurance docs.
It has been in CA since 1970. There has been a lot of maintenece done. i need to go throught the paperwork, but it is in excellent running condition. I am having trouble uploading additional pics due to size.
what is most interesting to me about this car is how meticulous the original owner was about this car. He ordered it, and the letters he wrote to Chrysler, and their responses was very interesting. I have owned 3 Formula S cars in the past, a 65 Formula S 999 Paint code with Vinyl Roof, Factory Disc Brakes, 999 Paint Code, and factory AC (yes, factory Disc. it was documented on the Original MSPR label and the Build Sheet), another Survivor Original 65 Formula S, and a 66 Formula S 4-speed also with factor AC.
I am curious as to if the Formula Option was even available when he ordered this car, or why he ordered the Barracuda this way. Anyway, having a Barracuda with the Commando 273 and Factory AC is not common to come across. Having the Sure Grip is a cool option, although i dont think the Owner's intentions were of thrashing the car about. There has been items changed over the years, Water Pump, Master Cylinder, but the Engine is original to the Car, it retains the original 4 barrel carb, and the Dual Point Distributor. All the Commando items are on the Car.
I am interested in hearing about the early Barracuda. and yes, the Strip was an Option, and you get get one on any Barracuda if you desired.
Thank you all for your interest. The car has never been painted. there is an old receipt from 1977 were there was some paint touch up on rear drivers side Quarter at the tail light, but the bill was for something like 138.00, so it does not appear to be anything significant.

Wow, 4 speed, a/c, HP- in one of my favorite color combos...and NOT a Form S.

Love it!

Looks like a very nice car. I have what believe to be a 1965 Barracuda Formula S. It has what I think is all the correct equipment. However the data plate is missing from the engine compartment, and from what I've looked into there were no codes or VIN numbers that denote a Formula S until 1966. It appears to be an original red car as seen in many of the Mopar advertisements of the day. It was repainted in a brighter red about 10 years ago, still has the Commando 273 with the correct air cleaner, valve covers, etc. and an engine rebuild about the time it was painted. If anyone can help shed more light on this I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Looks like a very nice car. I have what believe to be a 1965 Barracuda Formula S. It has what I think is all the correct equipment. However the data plate is missing from the engine compartment, and from what I've looked into there were no codes or VIN numbers that denote a Formula S until 1966. It appears to be an original red car as seen in many of the Mopar advertisements of the day. It was repainted in a brighter red about 10 years ago, still has the Commando 273 with the correct air cleaner, valve covers, etc. and an engine rebuild about the time it was painted. If anyone can help shed more light on this I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

If it is a true Formula S, it would have a factory Tachometer to the left of steering wheel, larger 14" wheels, also wider rim 5.5", cut out in the rear valance for the Factory exhaust tip, 1" diameter front sway bar, also the fold down panel in the back would have a funky cut out to allow the larger Goodyear Blue Streak Spare. Of course, these could be added, but from your pictures it appears as if your car is not a Formula S car as it does not have the valance cut out for exhaust. I hope i was of some help, perhaps someone else may be able to shed more light for you.

You can also contact the Chrysler Historical Society and purchase a copy of the punch card. They will also decode it for you and tell you the original dealership the car was sold at.

http://chryslerheritage.iconicweb.com/pg904.htm

If it is a true Formula S, it would have a factory Tachometer to the left of steering wheel, larger 14" wheels, also wider rim 5.5", cut out in the rear valance for the Factory exhaust tip, 1" diameter front sway bar, also the fold down panel in the back would have a funky cut out to allow the larger Goodyear Blue Streak Spare. Of course, these could be added, but from your pictures it appears as if your car is not a Formula S car as it does not have the valance cut out for exhaust. I hope i was of some help, perhaps someone else may be able to shed more light for you.

The Tachometer was NOT part of the Formula S package. It was optional even on the Formula S. Just adding my 2 cents ... Lightweights4me

Lots of good Formula S info here -> http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/407.html

For Example:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Formula S Features:
·235 hp Commando 273 V-8 Engine
· Carter aluminum 4-barrel
· 10.5:1 compression dome-top pistons
· high lift, high-overlap cam
· dual breaker points
· solid lifters
· special intake with unsilenced chrome air cleaner
· black crinkle Hemi style valve covers with aluminum fins
· chrome Hemi style PCV valve
· Hemi style ignition wire grommets
·Rallye Suspension Package
· 16:1 fast ratio steering box
· 5 leaf rear springs
· over-size front torsion bars (.87”)
· front anti-sway bar (13/16”)
· firm ride shock absorbers

· Tachometer
· 10” drum brakes
· 6.95 x 14" Special Blue Streak tires
· Heavy Gauge Wide-Rim 5.5" x 14" Wheels
· 14" Bolt-On Design Wheel Covers
· 2” chrome lug nuts
· Formula S Badges
· 2 ¼” Low pressure exhaust with chrome tipped resonator

Barracuda options:
· 8 ¾” Sure-Grip 3.23:1 differential
· front disc brakes
· automatic transmission
· power steering, power brakes
· safety padding
· front seat belts
· rear seat belts (1966)
· back-up lights
· variable speed wipers and washer
· AM radio w/antenna
· true-round 16” wood grain steering wheel
· racing stripes
· day/night rearview mirror
· side mirror, remote side mirror
· tinted glass all around
· air conditioning
· vinyl roof (1966)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

This is probably what was called a Rallye Pack car- does it have 13" wheels and no front sway bar?

Lots of good Formula S info here -> http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/407.html

For Example:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Formula S Features:
·235 hp Commando 273 V-8 Engine
· Carter aluminum 4-barrel
· 10.5:1 compression dome-top pistons
· high lift, high-overlap cam
· dual breaker points
· solid lifters
· special intake with unsilenced chrome air cleaner
· black crinkle Hemi style valve covers with aluminum fins
· chrome Hemi style PCV valve
· Hemi style ignition wire grommets
·Rallye Suspension Package
· 16:1 fast ratio steering box
· 5 leaf rear springs
· over-size front torsion bars (.87”)
· front anti-sway bar (13/16”)
· firm ride shock absorbers

· Tachometer
· 10” drum brakes
· 6.95 x 14" Special Blue Streak tires
· Heavy Gauge Wide-Rim 5.5" x 14" Wheels
· 14" Bolt-On Design Wheel Covers
· 2” chrome lug nuts
· Formula S Badges
· 2 ¼” Low pressure exhaust with chrome tipped resonator

Barracuda options:
· 8 ¾” Sure-Grip 3.23:1 differential
· front disc brakes
· automatic transmission
· power steering, power brakes
· safety padding
· front seat belts
· rear seat belts (1966)
· back-up lights
· variable speed wipers and washer
· AM radio w/antenna
· true-round 16” wood grain steering wheel
· racing stripes
· day/night rearview mirror
· side mirror, remote side mirror
· tinted glass all around
· air conditioning
· vinyl roof (1966)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

66340Sedan need a pic of a 273 Commando. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 051402_2052[00].jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,277
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back