1965 Barracuda purchase

-

65 rustyred

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just dove in to the project car pond. Need advice on how to start. The car is mostly solid and complete, but needs floor pans, trunk pan, front bumper, and windshield. Any suggestions on where to locate these parts?

Thanks

Welcome to FABO and congrats on your purchase. Just hang out and ask questions. You'll find what you need here. toolmanmike
Post pictures when you can.

Welcome. Auto Metal Direct is a good place to find those items. The windshield may have to be used. Lots of members on this site with parts for sale.

Attachments

• 4][py63452JPG.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 329
Welcome to the best site on the web. First thing I would do is post some detailed pictures of what you're working with and let us have a look. Next thing I would do is find the thread I saw yesterday about the 64-65 front and rear bumpers for sale for $100.00 a piece or $175 for the pair!! Then, I believe 66cudajim answered your floor pan question for another member and got his floor pans from AMD, which was suggested above. Windshields are available new, and you should also be able to find a tech archive on this to locate a windshield, either in your area or shipped by a company. If I remember correctly they were under $200 shipped!! Did I mention posting pics for us to see?? Welcome again, Geof

Welcome! I've p.m.'d a member whom I believe knows where to order a new windshield, when he replies I'll let you know.

Welcome to FABO RacingJoe67!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Like to see some more pictures of your car - We love pictures!

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• 1st Drag Race Coming to Burnout Pit 2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 309
welcome to fabo. glad to see another person saved a cuda from the scrap yard/ crusher. post some pix of what you are working with. i stripped a 65 fish with a 273 4 speed so i have parts available. no floor or trunk floor. i have doors, plate that goes over gas tank under rear cargo area behind rear seat full quarter skins cowl area and many other pieces like tail light housings grill sections

New windshields are available for order by any good auto glass shop. Part #DW-625/GBN. Thanks to slantsixdan for the info. Also he said try to get a name brand such as PPG not SVG. They also should be able to order the windshield gasket. Be sure they use the proper bedding compound to mount the windshield.

Thanks for the input gents.

I will begin stripping parts off the car to begin rust removal process this weekend. I'm a novice so any suggestions on how to proceed are appreciated. BTW, I am working with a limited budget. I plan on keeping the original slant six for now. Upgrade to 340 later.

I want to end up with something better than a restored driver but less than show quality

Questions I have are:

suggested tools (beyond basic wrenches, etc.)
organizing removed parts/fasteners
does and don'ts

Thanks!

Welcome! Glad to see another early cuda being saved. Look forward to seeing your resto thread if you start one. I'm still learning alot about restoring cars like you but if there is anything I can do for you don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck. Jim O:)

Welcome to FABO very good site plenty of smart folks here.When dissembling first thing is to take photos of the item prior to taking it apart,then bag and tag each thing you take apart [example:windsheld wiper motor and hardware with the rods and pivots ect.] in a bag and box marked,do this with everything so you can remember what it is and all the attaching parts don't get misplaced.We are building a 73 charger and the P.O. dissambled the entire car and did not mark nothing plus lost most of the hardware it has been a nightmare to figure out what is needed. Good luck with your rebuild great to see another cuda being saved. P.M. me if you have questions or need something i may be able to help.

Bag and tag! Started doing that. I am now shopping for a used compressor, MIG welder, engine hoist. Cleaned out the two car garage to make space for the project. Been doing alot of research on the net. Want to swap out the slant six for a 340 or 360. Used 340s are expensive and in short supply. May just go with a 360 w/magnum heads. I have a four speed but will need a 8.25 rear end. Looked at the front end kits from alterKtion, They look expensive. Wondering what kind of handling I will get just rebuilding stock front end w/ V8 torsion bars. Want disk brakes. Thinking about frame rail extensions for added strength/rigidity. Don't want to start without a clear idea on what I will be achieving in the end.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, one needs a vision of how he will enjoy his car before starting to spend $$ on stuff he may or may not need. If you are looking to have a better than restored driver, you could probably go with a nice stock style front end rebuild. If you are used to new car style handling, then maybe an aftermarket front assembly and new style brakes is a must for you. When I bought my 67 Cuda, the owners son refused the car because he thought it was a death trap and was sure the front end was going to fall off. He had only driven new technology. You can have yourself a nice 340/360 car with all rebuilt OE style underpinnings, it's just gonna take a while to round up the necessary items.

As for tools, I see you are planning on buying an air compressor. Your best friend for rust removal is a die grinder and cutoff wheel, and an air chisel will certainly come in handy as well. A nice 3/8" drive air rachet speeds up the process and a decent impact wrench. I like to keep pieces of pipe around as well for those stubborn bolts, and I also have a pair of 4' bolt cutters that seem to get a lot of use. Overkill I know, but they were free!!

I have taken apart many of these early A's with much enjoyment, and more than a few setbacks. Better start rounding up the necessary metal right now, most of it is not being repopped, and some of it is downright hard to find!! Good luck with your project, and as said above.............bag and tag, bag and tag!!! Geof

Welcome....Sounds like your going to have a nice street machine.

nice start, saw you stop by my page. Looks like we can go through this process of resto together! Keep in touch!

Welcome to the greatest car site in the world. :cheers:

-
Back