1965 Barracuda Puzzle

-

1965cudav8

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First I suppose I should give you all a quick background. I grew up a VW fanatic and have done alot of work with them, mostly on TDIs (diesels). However, I have always been an excited sidewalk bystander to any classic muscle car going by.

So, when a friend told me that he had heard an aquaintance of ours had a pair of first generation barracudas sitting in a garage in the middle of Vermont for sale, I jumped. The guy had one in very good shape, a partially done restoration. Next to it, under a pile of trash, furniture, and dead mice was a 65 gold cuda that looked like it came off a tetanus shot poster. Perfect. I was told that if I could get it to run and drive out of that garage it was mine for just a few hundred bucks. This was a daunting task because I lived about 6 hours away in Maine, so the running and driving had to be for sure.

So, I started working. It took me almost a full day just to clean everything away from it so i could get a feel for what the job would entail. In the midst of this I was alerted by a few FABO members on the introduction page that I was not looking at a 273 at all, but a 318, which I later confirmed using the casting number and found it was a 318 produced between 1967 and 1975. Even more interesting, I ran the VIN and discovered that it was originally a /6. Hrumph. The puzzle began.

A couple of dump runs, battery, and alot of cleaning later and here is a few pics from when I cleaned all the stuff off of it and got a look:

Attachments

• 2011-03-23 16.51.32.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 388
  • 2011-03-28 13.48.48.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 383
  • 2011-03-23 16.51.17.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 381
Welcome to Fabo !

I live in the near from Wolfsburg home town VW and i am work for VW :)

First of all, AWESOME. im totally jealous, ive always wanted to go visit wolfsburg.

Welcome to FABO.Did you ever get it running?

And in response to this, I will submit this next section

First, I forgot to mention in the earlier post that this car had not moved in over 9 years. It had not been started, rolled, or maintained at all. Zero. I wish I had taken pictures of it before I started cleaning, it was ridiculous.

So, when I actually had the car cleared away a few things immediately jumped out at me. First, the brake pedal was totally useless and stomped right to the ground. The radiator was empty, the belt was in tatters, no battery, wiring all over the place leading nowhere etc etc etc I could go on all day.

But, first things first I decided to see if the motor even ran cause that would make or break my 'drive it away' deal. There was no space or time to pull and engine and do a rebuild in this guys garage 6 hours from home. PS, I was living close by this garage for about 2 months for seasonal work so I had a finite amount of time to get the car ready and back on the road before I returned to Maine. So i siphoned the old fuel out of the tank, drained the fuel lines, changed the oil, fuel filter, lubed all the cylinders a little, got some starter spray, a battery, shop vacced all the dirt/mouse poop/sunflower seeds away from the carter afb carb and decided to 'cowboy up' and just go for it. I also rotated the fan a few times just to make sure it wasnt siezed. I gave it a few preemptive half turns AND WOOOOO

Nothing.

Haha, sorry couldnt help myself. But, 1 hour, 3 fuel filters, and some bbq style flames roasting the inside of the hood later and that 318 was running for the first time in 9 years. I let her run for almost an hour and she steadied right out, even sounded good. Meanwhile I flushed the radiator like crazy. Pulled an easy cup full of crap out of the radiator which subsequently sprung leaks like a collander. After puttying these and using some stop-leak product, the radiator was fine, just leaks a little here and there. no biggy. there was also a pile of indeterminate substance behind the exhaust that continued to grow which was quite amusing.

So, now I had a sort of running barracuda that, assuming the transmission was fine, could move. But could it stop?

Attachments

• 2011-03-23 16.51.45.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 2011-04-05 11.56.21.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 324
OK, so remember that we are still far from home, trying to get this car back. We have trash cleared from the exterior, a running motor, and some adrenaline in the blood. Other than that we have a useless knowledge of vw/audi engineering and diesel motors. Add a smidgen of yankee ingenuity, young guy recklessness (i weigh in at just 22yo), and love of burning dinosaurs and youve got me trying to get a 65 cuda from under a heap of trash across 6 hours of windy, still snowy new england roads.

So, next was to see if this beast was going to stop. As I mentioned before, the brake pedal shot right to the floor with 0 resistance. I laughed the whole time I was pulling the master cylinder since it was so unlike anything I had ever seen before (see your nearest mk4/5 vw). The ancient single bowl master was rotted through and totally dry. I went and got a dual bowl from a later model cuda and rebuilt the piston, push rod etc with a repair kit from 1984 that i found in the trunk. luckily the bore was the same. I had to cut out the old junction block and all the hard lines to all four wheels. I instead routed the front brakes through a T from the primary port of the master and the rear brakes from the secondary to their junction on the rear axle. I also replaced all the hard lines while I was at it.

I also ended up rebuilding all four brake assemblies and replacing lots of return springs, star wheels, shoes etc. Most of this I got for super cheap at my local carquest and some I pulled. I have been purely overjoyed at how inexpensive most of the parts have been for this car. Im so used to buying imported german parts that this was very nice. Anyways, after trouble shooting some leaky connections, a bad wheel cylinder, and over torquing the push rod bolt I had some sweet manual drum brakes ready to go.

Attachments

• 2011-04-09 15.26.10.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 326
  • 2011-04-05 11.54.35.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 309
  • 2011-03-28 15.39.45.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 304
  • 2011-04-27 11.11.27.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 310
I should mention that this is an uber-low budget build. I recently graduated from college and am floating for a few years before taking life too seriously. I have worked a myriad of jobs over the past few years for adventure such as security/bouncer, sailor, lobster picker, cook, framer, handyman, hunter/firearms instructor, outdoor survival instructor, high end/local cheese distributor, guitar teacher, painter, ski bum etc etc etc. I fill the rest of the year with the usual young guy activities (beer, women, cars). Amen

Now, I have a motor, brakes, and a seemingly solid but untested transmission. None of the gauges work except the alternator (sweet), I have one headlight, no windshield wipers, a bag of beef jerky, leaky headers, and a bunch of spare parts and fluids. Time for an adventure.

After carefully checking the tires for dry rot I fully inflated them with my face pointed in the other direction and decided it was time for a quick test drive before I headed on the open road. Some Mopar god smiled on me and the transmission flipped into gear smoothly and with no noise. She drove to the end of the driveway and we celebrated with a beer and a few minutes of content idling.

I decided that I wanted the oil pressure aftermarket gauge and the temperature unit to work for this 6 hour drive so I could at least somewhat monitor the condition of the car. So after a little tinkering I got these fixed up (more on the insane wiring of this car later). But as a teaser, the tach 12v power was wired TO the amp output from the radio. yeah, you read that correctly.

Honestly, at this point, I was fairly tempted to rent a uhaul and trailer it back behind my truck...but no way jose. I was pumped up and ready to roll. Here's a pic of the car just before the journey home and one of the all the spare parts I had with me in the car. I wish I had taken pictures of the car's interior before I ripped it out. There were dead mice, a thick layer of stuffing, poop, trash, moldy boxes full of rusty parts etc. I drove all 6 hours in the freezing cold with the windows open because of the smell.

To end this long story, the drive went alright with one stop to refill the radiator, three for fuel filters, and one for gas/more beef jerky/air freshener. Actually, at the gas stop I was waiting for the fuel filter to drain so I could change it and a guy rolled up in a nice 4-4-2. He had turned around after seeing the cuda to say hi and take some pictures. We spent some time poking round, showing him what I had done etc and at the end of the conversation he was like dude, youre ******* crazy hahaha. he couldnt believe I had just resurrected this car and was driving across most of new england to get it home. In retrospect, I suppose it was a little reckless, but a great story to go with the car.

Attachments

• 2011-04-10 14.38.14.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 2011-04-26 17.05.00.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 305
That is a great story. What are your plans for it?

Excellent story!! Looks like the body is in pretty damn good shape. Welcome to the club of zombie cars lol

That is a great story. What are your plans for it?

More to come on this but right now im just trying to bring her back from the dead (as described by the quote below haha). im not really sure of my official intentions though. you guys are going to help me decide i hope haha
Excellent story!! Looks like the body is in pretty damn good shape. Welcome to the club of zombie cars lol
yeah, shes definitely a badass zomb

awsome post
thanks bub!

The MSD box alone is worth a couple hundred, so either way you win
haha true story, and it came with a full set of seats, a set of interior trim etc etc so im selling what i dont need and that will probably cover the cost of the car

Great story. I have done road trips just as crazy when I was your age. We built a 51 Plymouth coupe from several junk cars and took a 200 mile trip leaving at midnight without a trip around the block to even be sure it would make it.

Hokey Dokey,

So there have been some requests for more pics of the body, which I shall now comply with. I basically took pics of the stuff thats not good. So everything you dont see is good. I will be continuing this saga shortly with posts about the epic interior douching and the wiring madness. I have not begun any of the body work because
A: Im currently job searching and thats taking alot of my time
B: Its in a DIRT driveway currently while I get its new garage home in order
C: Im currently compiling stacks of beer to pay my buddy for his welding skills
D: Still looking for a passenger side door (bottom is totally rotted out)

Anyways, feel free to leave me a note about what you think i should do with this car! Im really not trying to make it a show car or anything (though i will paint it), but rather a fun, summer driver thats got some pep to its step so to speak. For example there will be no $500 carpet sets...I ripped out the carpeting and steam cleaned, spot lifted, then washed it in my washing machine haha. Currently, shes got a good running 318 with an edelbrock streetmaster intake, carter afb 600fm, msd ignition. the headers are despicable looking and probably going to be my first under the hood step (see earlier posts for pics). Anyways, SOUND OFF!

Attachments

• 2011-04-26 17.04.08.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 2011-04-26 17.01.26.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 2011-04-26 17.01.34.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 2011-04-26 17.03.13.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 2011-04-26 17.03.19.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 246
I have seen worse saved and you dont have much money in it so what the heck learn body work and have fun while doing it.

I have seen worse saved and you dont have much money in it so what the heck learn body work and have fun while doing it.
I'd just grab a new fender and a new door. You will probably be okay on the trim part, looks rough, but I bet it wouldnt be too hard to fix:happy7:

I agree with the 442 guy: Dude, you're crazy!! Six hour drive! Wow, your my hero of the day. Thanks for sharing your story and enjoy your new find.

Yeah im inclined to agree with you and DarTT. Im going to practice my welding on some spare sheet metal and eventually getting around to cutting those strips and welding them in. I just wanna make sure I do it right. Ive also been canvassing local salvage yards and FABO members for a passenger door...itll happen!

I agree with the 442 guy: Dude, you're crazy!! Six hour drive! Wow, your my hero of the day. Thanks for sharing your story and enjoy your new find.

No problem, happy to share and thanks for the note!

Well if your travels bring you by here you can look into my sheetmetal and parts to see if we can strike a deal. You have already done great things in a short time. Check my thread tribute to dad. I lost the will to go on after awhile ago but other members build threads got me going again.

And here is another question for you style guys out there. Instead of purchasing a whole rear quarter to fix the rust over the rear wheels (its similar on both sides), what about cutting a new shape higher like the 2nd gen barracudas? I have tons of extra exterior trim that could work as long as I rolled it under a little after cutting. See the picture below for what I mean. Or is this a big faux pas to cut when I could conceivably weld patches, get new quarters etc.

Attachments

• 67 cuda.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 218
Cool story! I did a similar thing when I got my '64 Valiant convertible. 350 miles with no top and a heater blower that was so full of leaves and garbage it wouldn't move much air. (It only snowed for about 50 miles of the journey) The guy said it ran but when I backed it up in his driveway it flooded and fuel ran all over the manifold. No carb kit was available in the little town so I took it apart, cleaned it up the best I could and with a manilla envelope cut for a gasket we headed home. That sort of adventure makes an old car more enjoyable. Keep us posted on your progress with that sweet fish.

I say just buy the correct patches and that should be less work.
Yep, just work with what you got. Trust me, what you have will grow on you quickly:pr:

Ugh, I wish I was closer to you, I know where a quarter panel for your barracuda is. Shipping is ridiculous, itd kill you:tongue7:.

Yep, just work with what you got. Trust me, what you have will grow on you quickly:pr:

Ugh, I wish I was closer to you, I know where a quarter panel for your barracuda is. Shipping is ridiculous, itd kill you:tongue7:.

How much to NC?

-
Back