1965 Barracuda rear defogger

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJG

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out how the rear defogger worked in the '65 barracuda's, and what equipment was needed.
While doing some research regarding the defogger, I learned that, in the '65 Barracuda it was only available as a dealer add-on. As I understand it there was a blower somewhere in the back compartment, and a shorter privacy panel for improved air flow.
My car has the shorter tilt-up separation panel (which I was told was for the cars with defogger)., and a vent slot in the rear passenger side. But I don't see any place where an additional switch would have been , in or under the dash.
Can somebody help me understand more about these systems, and what equipment and modifications were needed:
Do all '65 barracuda's have the interior vent slot in the rear compartment just below the rear window on the passenger side?
Could a '65 without a dealer installed de-fogger have the shorter privacy panel for any other reason.
Thank you again

All have the slot and the shorter panel did not mean it had a rear defrost. Cosgig has pictures of a setup that he sold not long ago. He may chime in soon.

All have the slot and the shorter panel did not mean it had a rear defrost. Cosgig has pictures of a setup that he sold not long ago. He may chime in soon.
Cool, Thank you very much.
So I had come to an incorrect assumption. Do you know what were the reasons for the different panels? My 'S' has what looks to be the original short panel, and I have a long panel for a '65. But I have separate metal trim for just the longer panel. Did both types have the metal edge trim?

Not sure on the trim I would need to dig 1/2 a day to find my xtra panels to know. It is spring and as a farmer I dont have alot of time right now to dig. lol The S should have an eyebrow notched in it for the wider 14 inch tire.

Not sure on the trim I would need to dig 1/2 a day to find my xtra panels to know. It is spring and as a farmer I dont have alot of time right now to dig. lol The S should have an eyebrow notched in it for the wider 14 inch tire.
Yes, the shorter panel does have that cut-out, but not the metal trim.
Yep, I am also a contractor trying to find time to enjoy the cars in this improving weather, but that darn work won't get out of the way. Go figure.

there is a guy in Celine Tennessee selling a Formula S with supposed factory defogger. I think he recently bought it, and is turning it around. There was a picture of the Defogger switch, located to the left of the factory tachometer..
s-l1600.jpg

there is a guy in Celine Tennessee selling a Formula S with supposed factory defogger. I think he recently bought it, and is turning it around. There was a picture of the Defogger switch, located to the left of the factory tachometer..View attachment 1715044929
Ok, I don't have that switch.I am pretty sure my car never had a defogger. trying to find out other reasons for the short rear panel.
Thank you for the pic. I continue to learn.
Rjg

Not trying to hy-jack this post... but if anyone has any information on a rear defroster set up - pictures please for the rear of a early Barracuda... That would be really cool.
My car is apart on the rotisserie and it kills me to see the cuts in the back and no option to fill it.
I thought the holes in the back on the passenger side was for a rear speaker but a rear defroster make sense. I wonder if it is the same as the 67-76 a bodies?
Great post RJG!

Not trying to hy-jack this post... but if anyone has any information on a rear defroster set up - pictures please for the rear of a early Barracuda... That would be really cool.
My car is apart on the rotisserie and it kills me to see the cuts in the back and no option to fill it.
I thought the holes in the back on the passenger side was for a rear speaker but a rear defroster make sense. I wonder if it is the same as the 67-76 a bodies?
Great post RJG!
I am no expert, but I have 2 65 Barracudas, one an S and the other a Commando car, neither has defroster but both have the slot opening on passenger side only. I thought it was for ventilation.
I owned 2 other 65 S cars in past, they both also had the slot

I though ALL barracudas had the slot
Maybe I'm wrong

I am no expert, but I have 2 65 Barracudas, one an S and the other a Commando car, neither has defroster but both have the slot opening on passenger side only. I thought it was for ventilation.
I owned 2 other 65 S cars in past, they both also had the slot

I though ALL barracudas had the slot
Maybe I'm wrong
Yes all came with the slot

The best I can tell with the divider board from the several I have owned is sometime during the 65 model year they became shorter. The ones I have here show 64 and early 65 has the longer board and later 65 and 66 has the shorter board.

The best I can tell with the divider board from the several I have owned is sometime during the 65 model year they became shorter. The ones I have here show 64 and early 65 has the longer board and later 65 and 66 has the shorter board.
Interesting, maybe they just determined that it helped increase air circulation.

All is good, but does any one know what that speaker looking plate on the passenger side under the rear corner of the passenger side back glass was used for?
It looks like a speaker cut out (6"x8" speaker) but it was never cut out on all the one's i've seen. I've got two 66' Barracudas; a /6 fully loaded car being restored now and a 66' Barracuda formula s and neither have the spot cut or filled. the fuel fill pipe is in the way on the drivers side so no "stereophonic sound" for me.

That is where the rear defrost bolted in with no cutting necessary.
Cryslerfat-

Got any pictures? I'm curious if the unit looks like a 67-76 rear defroster like the one for my 72 Demon and if yes... how does the plumbing hook up.
Also on the 1966- where does the switch go and what does the knob look like?
I found a few of the on/off switches new - but no knobs for the 66' Barracuda. On the 65' Barracuda it goes next to the head light switch. The 66' has a head light switch and a wiper switch side by side. Really not room to mount there. I really dont need it, but if I can find a set up I would love to have it in the car. It may have not even been a thing in the 66' for all I know. That's Mother Mopar for ya.
Funny thing is early a-bodies are cool at shows but local shows you never see two same cars side by side.
Joe

Here is some scans of the factory installed rear defrost from a 64 - 65 Barracuda. I found this sheet stuffed in the rear wheel well of my 65 Barracuda that is why the one side is faded. You'll notice it's dated 1964.

65 Cuda rear d1 001s.jpg

65 Cuda rear d1 001s.jpg

65 Cuda rear d1 001s.jpg

65 Cuda rear d2 001s.jpg

774253-b1921a25ae7b9c5195afd92b02a3db76.jpg

774254-6d567a14f9ea6840bc898c500c7ed919.jpg

I don't know why so many pictures are showing up, I edit my post and more pictures keep showing up..... ug

I don't know why so many pictures are showing up, I edit my post and more pictures keep showing up..... ug
Don't matter- that is some cool stuff right there. Now to find if ANY one has a 66' set up for the pictures. Seems wierd 64-65 only. But a cost cutting savings maybe. We need some old Chrysler Engineers from back then for help on this board. Thank you for sharing the pictures Keith! I really appreciate them.

Don't matter- that is some cool stuff right there. Now to find if ANY one has a 66' set up for the pictures. Seems wierd 64-65 only. But a cost cutting savings maybe. We need some old Chrysler Engineers from back then for help on this board. Thank you for sharing the pictures Keith! I really appreciate them.
Check with Cosgig he had pics of a setup he sold. He knows more about the setup than I do as far as the 66 goes.

It could be that it fits the 66 as well but not sure.
Check with Cosgig he had pics of a setup he sold. He knows more about the setup than I do as far as the 66 goes.
Yea I bet Cosgig knows if it fits..

20170923_105236_resized.jpg
20170923_105253_resized.jpg
I want to use this defroster I found in some of my stored parts that I'm digging into is this correct for 1966 barracuda?

I discovered yesterday my 65 has it. Was peering into the trunk and behind the pile of dismantled car was the defroster mounted in its spot. Hope motor still works. Things to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back