1965 Barracuda- Restomod

-
I think we were going for a push slave. Right now the weather is keeping me from getting down and working on the car.

It's a pain cause now it's armchair planning and I'm so eager to keep going.

A Pusher May Be Hard To Set Up With A Scatter Shield,,,,may Be Easier With A Bell Housing,,, I Never Tired,,

If you ordered the metal one, it will need some fabrication to work. It's close but not quite there. I just finished mine.

This is a resto mod? Could you show us some more of the build/ideas for it?

Let us know how it goes.

Well today I go in to start work on the shifter and linkage. I'm going to install hood pins today, as well as the new steering column steering wheel and horn switch. today I will have fired the car up for the first time in 5 months. It should be interesting as the exhaust was cut off so we could swap tranys.

I will take lots of pics today and go over what I've done, plan to do and am doing.

One of my biggest changes to the car is a new grill. I loved my original cuda grill, but it was cracked to hell. I'm going to fabricate a billet style grill and behind it created two hidden gt style lamps. While I'll relocate the front bumper with a 66 valiant one with the turn signals in it.

Pulled the trans today to get a fork in, found out it wasn't the right one. Now I need a fork for a 9 inch clutch with a ball pivot on it.

Pulled the steering column and painted the new one. Also pulled the master cylinder to replace it with a brake booster from a mid 90s dodge van. After pulling the master cylinder, behind the foam gasket I find RED paint. Was I lied to and everything I know wrong? Was my car bright red and not med red poly?

Also I installed hood pins and toted around with primer on the hood to get an idea or what a black hood would be like.

Things I need

clutch fork for a 9 in clutch with a ball pivot.

My mail to arrive with reverse linkage arm and tunnel hump.

do you meen the fork pivots on a ball in the bell housing?? guess i never had a 273 9 inch clutch,,,brewers should have what you need

Ok so here are some pictures from this week's adventure...

Here is my current, bone stock slant six.

IMG_0181.jpg

I had a lot planned for this weekend, but only did half of it. My clutch fork wasnt right and now I have to track down the right one.

So the trans isnt getting a shifter any time soon.

IMG_0183.jpg

The car in its current state.

IMG_0184.jpg

So this weekend I installed hood pins. Using the bumpers as a starting point.

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Finished Product

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

So now we had to pull the old steering column se we could have a clean look to it and make the car really look like it was an original four speed car.

IMG_0194.jpg
Goodbye column!

IMG_0195.jpg

New wheel waiting to go in.

IMG_0188.jpg

Then there was my master cylinder. I decided to use a brake booster from a mid 90s dodge van instead.

IMG_0189.jpg

But then, after pulling it, I found, this
IMG_0190.jpg

Was my car originally red? Hmmm.

Not done yet, just laying there for good measure.
IMG_0196.jpg

If you are going V8 I dont believe that booster will clear the engine. You need an a-body mounting assy. to put it above the valve cover.

Sweet, just taking a break on it now until I have all the parts I need. I toted with the thought if using an 80s 2.2 liter turbo with the auto trans out of my dodge 600. But no thanks, just didn't want to lose the slant six.

Ok so the mail yielded some presents today,

I got my reverse shifter rod, thank you Chignikred.

Also, got the floor hump from Brewers!

Now I need my fork and I'll be cooking with gas.

Ok so, new list.

after I get the fork and install it,

-Get slave cylinder set up-

Thats the main thing needed to get her running again.

So I was thinking, maybe next year for winter to go yellow and black, this year should I shoot the med red poly so the car dosent look so, tired. Or just go primer while I build?

why paint twice ?? your only going to scratch it working on it why take the chance,,primer it,, get the other stuff out of the way then do the yellow,, they look great in the right shade of yellow,,,

Yeah you're right, I'm just getting really antsy right now.

Ok, I had a request not too far back asking for some of my build ideas. Ok let's roll.

-First off, inside Im getting rid of all the window cranks and replacing them with electric switches.
- Im going to get a new Legendary rear seat upholstery kit and redo the back seat, but as with the front seats, dash pad, arm rests and panels I am going to highlight with gator skin in black.
-I pulled the grill and right now designing a one piece grill that will include the head light bezels. It will be in a billet style.
-Right now, I'm toying with an idea. I want to take 2 68 Charger fuel caps that have the FUEL written on them and work them into a set of flip open cup holders. This is my biggest interior idea.
-LED tail lights after I replace my reverse lenses.
-I'm going to redo the trunk area and add panels and fix the general openess of the trunk area.
-A mild sound system, the speakers will be tastefully done in the rear passenger panels and up in the console I'm designing.
-I'm going bigger with the wheels, 14 is just not a good size. I'm thinking in the 16 inches in the front and 17 in the rear.
-New exhaust, with slotted exhaust tips like a GTX.
-1966 Valiant front and rear bumpers.

IMG_0203.jpg

Starting in on making the cup holders out of Fuel caps. The blank one I dont know what I'll do with it. Clean it up for sure.

Ok, so I got my caps polished and cleaned up. A lot of garbage in them, and rat ****.

But now they are good. There is only one issue, each one has some bit of chrome flaking. I want to get them to where they still look good, but not NOS or brand new looking. I was curious if anyone had painted their caps before or if they had any experience painting flaking chrome. I figured on sanding down the problem areas, if not the whole face of the cap, primer, and get chrome in a can.

Ideas?

Today I got my fork and it is what I needed! So right now every I needed to get the car going again is in my possession. I just have to wait for Friday to start assembly.

In the mean time I'm fabricating the fuel cap cup holders for the car. I'm stripping the rough chrome off and will primer and paint them today. I made a template already. I'll have pics of that tonight.

Very exciting day.

-
Back