1965 Barracuda Trunk support questions

-

Steve-Oh-no!

International lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

Steve here from Australia. I imported a 65 Barracuda from LA last year and am having much fun with it. 1964-65 Barracudas are seldom seen down here which is both good (rarity factor) and bad (no parts)

I'm trying to sort out a couple of issues with the trunk lid. The hinges have play in them and I've read the thread regards the use of the "Help!" pins. It seems the only option as I just can't find replacements, either good used, rebuilt or nos.

Of course if anyone has some for sale.......

But of bigger concern is the thing that holds the deck lid open. It works, probably a little too well and over time the trunk lid has twisted. I was wondering if anyone had come up with a different way of supporting the trunk lid?

I think a cheaper alternative would be to drill them out and bush them and install a new pin. I am sure a machine shop could do it for cheap if you don't have the ability. Would be cheaper than paying international shipping and cost of new hinges. my 2 cents

Try searching for FABO thread #163902 from 28 Nov 11. Poster came up with a nitrogen strut solution to hold it up using the stock hook into the fender and even gave the part numbers for what he found.

The 64 and early 65's used the ratchet style prop, but people would forget to lift the lid before they try to close it so they end up twisting the deck lid out of shape.

In mid 65 they switched to the spring loaded style prop which worked much better and wasn't confusing.

There was a guy in Texas selling conversion kits for the trunk prop, but Laysons made some kind of deal with him and now they are only available through Laysons at double the original price.

They are just camper shocks though with a couple different brackets which are also just camper parts. If you're not in a huge rush, I'll get you the part number off my shock, but my car is tucked away for the winter and I can't get to it now, I may be moving it to the other garage in the next week or so and I can get it them.

I would check with your local camper top supplier and you may be able to get what you need fairly cheap.

Here are a couple pics of mine.

Photo1355.jpg

Photo1354.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I was searching the internet catalogs for gas struts last night and found a supplier that sells exactly those brackets and a range of struts. Heading over there on Monday to get them.

Your Barracuda looks awesome!

Thanks everyone for your help on this.

Thanks for the pic. I was searching the internet catalogs for gas struts last night and found a supplier that sells exactly those brackets and a range of struts. Heading over there on Monday to get them.

Your Barracuda looks awesome!

Thanks everyone for your help on this.

Just make sure the struts are the light weight ones for a camper top and not for a car hood or hatch. The deck lid on the Cuda is small and light weight and the standard strut for a hood or hatch will be too strong and damage the deck deck lid or break the hinges.

They are just camper shocks though with a couple different brackets which are also just camper parts. If you're not in a huge rush, I'll get you the part number off my shock, but my car is tucked away for the winter and I can't get to it now, I may be moving it to the other garage in the next week or so and I can get it them.

I too, would love to have those part numbers when you get a chance!!
Thanks

-
Back