1965 Barracuda with a 360...intake suggestions?

-

65Barracuda

65Barracuda
Reaction score
My 65 Barracuda has a 360 that we yanked out of a 1972 Dodge Polara many years ago. I'm currently running a four barrel carb and intake from a 66 barracuda that had a 273 (got it cheap...). I'd like to spice things up under the hood a bit.

I'd love to hear from other 64-66 barracuda owners: Has anyone picked up a "performance package" that includes a cam, intake and four barrel carb? How did things work out? Are you running a 600 or 650 CFM carb? Did your intake set-up fit under the hood?

....and I justs have to ask - is anyone running dual-fours?

Any/all comments welcome...intake systems are not my strong point...

Thanks in advance.

65Barracuda
John

What kind of intake and carb are you running? I have a 70 Dart with a 318, I put a stock 68 340 intake manifold with a Carter 625 CFM carb, also running 340 exhaust manifolds and electronic ignition and 3.23:1 gears. This combo really woke that stock 318 up! Plus it looks 100% stock to most people! The stock 68-70 340 intakes are pretty easy to find, they are always on ebay. You could also go with the aluminum edelbrock LD340 intake but those are getting hard to find. A stock grind 340 cam or slightly larger would really help too. I have always liked Holley carbs because they are easy to work on. The Carter AVS carbs or Edelbrock carbs are also a great choice. 650-750. Good luck! :thumbup:

66340SEDAN said:
What kind of intake and carb are you running?QUOTE]

66340SEDAN, I'm using a Carter 4-barrel and intake from a 66 barracuda that had a 273. I don't know much about the carb itself - I can't find any ID/# markings on it (and the normal tags as missing) for me to determine which model it is and what CFM it runs.

Thank you for your input. I'll just take my time and look for the right deal.

65Barracuda
John

The intake runners on the 273 are mmaller than the 360. This will add to turbulance and lack of power. As a bracket and stock eliminator racer you'd be surprised what is done with stock/factory parts. The Edelbrock LA340 is a great manifold with lots of them for sale at a resonable price. Make sure that they have not shaved the maniflod to match the heads.

A/MP said:
The intake runners on the 273 are mmaller than the 360. This will add to turbulance and lack of power. As a bracket and stock eliminator racer you'd be surprised what is done with stock/factory parts. The Edelbrock LA340 is a great manifold with lots of them for sale at a resonable price. Make sure that they have not shaved the maniflod to match the heads.

Thank you, A/MP. I'll start looking.

65Barracuda
John

To recomend a top and engine package, tell me/us what gears you have in the rear, tire size as well please and the goal being sought. Headers or not.

Mild upgrades, street machine nasty?

In general, I would look at a complete kit from a cam manufacturer like Crane/comp or a MoPar house like Hughes/Mancini. Get it all. Cam, lifters, springs locks retainers.

On a intake and carb, for the most part a 600 for regular to a bit of spirted driving, another 50 cfm for a powerful street engine will do well. The intake should be in the rpm range of the cam.
Example;
Low rise dual plane for mello cams/engine builds
Highe rise dual planes for more rocken engines.

rumblefish360 said:
To recomend a top and engine package, tell me/us what gears you have in the rear, tire size as well please and the goal being sought. Headers or not.

Mild upgrades, street machine nasty?

In general, I would look at a complete kit from a cam manufacturer like Crane/comp or a MoPar house like Hughes/Mancini. Get it all. Cam, lifters, springs locks retainers.

On a intake and carb, for the most part a 600 for regular to a bit of spirted driving, another 50 cfm for a powerful street engine will do well. The intake should be in the rpm range of the cam.
Example;
Low rise dual plane for mello cams/engine builds
Highe rise dual planes for more rocken engines.

RUMBLEFISH360,

I have 14 inch wheels (Cragers on the small bolt pattern). The rearend is original - I don't know what the gear ratio is (I know I just lost credibility on that last statement...). Since mine was originally a slant six and not a Commando, it doesn't have the more attractive gear ratio. I CAN tell you that I got really decent gas mileage when it had a slant six. Believe it or not, I used to race it at the Old Dominion Speedway when it had the slant six. It was the second slowest car there...lots of fun though.

Back in 1990 or so, we put in the 360 we had a fellow develop a custom exhaust from the manifold back. At the time, we couldn't find headers that wouldn't require cutting somewhere. He did a great job. We kept the original manual four-speed.

My goal is to built a fun street car. I have no desire to beat it up with dragstrip runs......just want to drive it when the weather is decent. When I do drive it I'll want to put it through its paces on occasion.

How would I determine whether the High rise dual planes and carb setup would fit under the hood? I trust this info is readily available from crane/edelbrock/mancini/etc.?

Thanks again. I'm finishing the interior work now....hope to move on to the engine this winter.

65Barracuda
John

John;

Do a serach or post the question of intake manifold clearance if it doesn't get answered in this post. You will NOT find fitment issues or words saying it's a go for your or any car at the manufacures web sites.

What you will find is height measurements and how they do it. Edelbrock has a diagram you can view on how to measure.
Use there method to measure your current intake. Do the math, find the difference. Put clay ontop of the current air cleaner and close the hood. Meausre the clays height. Do the math. It fits or not at this point via the work I described.

I don't know what the gear ratio is (I know I just lost credibility on that last statement...).
Thats OK and no, you did not loose anyting. Most people do not know. May I sugest that you take the time and change the gear oil in the rear. (Mantainace) While you have the cover down and both wheels in the air, rotate the tire and watch the inner gears spin around. Look at the ring gear closely. Stamped into the ring gear is the ratio.

If you can take a picture of the rear, we can I.D. it. It may be a small 7-1/4 which should be sold to the scrap metal yard and the cash rolled over to a 8-1/4 or 8-3/4. The 8-1/4 is cheaper and more plentyful. The draw back is strength, though it'll be tuff enuff for 400+ HP. 8-3/4 cost $$$$$ Though I like the center section drop out abilty for reasonably quick gear ratio changes.
Your call.
There more likely to be a big bolt pattern wheel on the 8-1/4, early 8-3/4 have the small bolt pattern.

IMO, A decent street car without getting headers on the 360 could look something like this;

A K&N on top of a 650 carb of your choice on a RPM or equal intake with a cam to comploment the desired rear ratio. I like 3.55 for a driver with brass ones. While the heads remain stock, a cam like a Comp XE 262 or equal in a 9.0-1 compression ratioed engine would be a real nice and powerful driver.

If you could or wanted to slip in headers (There a thread going on about it here on the Mopar Muscle article that makes use of tti's new headers for your smaller engine bay A body)
That would be great and open up some power restrictive bottle necks. I, myself would step up to the next cam (XE268 ) and pocket port the heads with stock back cut valves. Or out of the box Edelbrock heads.
Call it a day.

The stock Carter you have can work great. The OE 4bbl. intakes are good in there design. So do not shy away from one if hood fitment, cutting a hole in the hood or money is an issue. (An AVS carb needs the flat plats over the rods so you can use the Edelbrock rod kit. The Edelbrock rods are AFB designed, which mean there a 2 step rod, not a 3 step rod like the AVS's.)

The standard Performer intake is close to stock intake manifold height. The Performer RPM is about an inch taller. You may run into clearance problems with the RPM and 3" air cleaner. regardless of manifold, it would be wise to check hood clearance with modeling clay or Play-doh before you slam the hood shut on your new intake, carb, air cleaner. You may need to use a drop base air cleaner, if this is the case, then you will need some type of banjo fitting on the carb inlet to clear the drop base.

Thrashard340 said:
The standard Performer intake is close to stock intake manifold height. The Performer RPM is about an inch taller. You may run into clearance problems with the RPM and 3" air cleaner. regardless of manifold, it would be wise to check hood clearance with modeling clay or Play-doh before you slam the hood shut on your new intake, carb, air cleaner. You may need to use a drop base air cleaner, if this is the case, then you will need some type of banjo fitting on the carb inlet to clear the drop base.

Thank you, Thrashard340. Believe me, we have more than enough playdoh around the house...

65Barracuda said:
Thank you, Thrashard340. Believe me, we have more than enough playdoh around the house...
Ha ha ha ha, I know EXACTLY what you mean!.

Gib, your a good man and kind of close. The Val. and the cuda is real close in there hoods? Like the same right because the early Cuda used Val. parts right?
(Ya, I'm getting rusty on it.)

-
Back