1965 Convertible Rear Quarter Window Adjustment

-

Teratech

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have been struggling with getting my convertible rear quarter windows working/adjusted. At the start of this project these quarter windows were frozen and would not go up or down. After removing the regulator hardware, cleaning and lubricating it, then re-installing I was able to get the windows to go up and down fairly easy. The adjustment part has not gone well. I have spent many hours trying to get the windows to fit correctly. I have the shop manual that shows all the possible adjustments.

I have included two pictures. One shows how the glass on the driver side is sitting. It seems like the window needs to go towards the from of the car at the bottom. The second picture shows the mounting of the regulator with most of the adjustment hardware. The forward adjustment is large nut, about 6" above the window crank, and I have that adjusted as far forward as possible.

After thinking about this for a while, I started to wonder if before I got the car, someone tried to force the window which results in the regulator arms being bent. The windows have never aligned since I have owned this car.

This is most likely a very obscure topic, but I would appreciate any input from other members who have been down this path before.

Thank-you!

Teratech

IMG_20210403_192629939.jpg

IMG_20210403_192725430.jpg

Loosen up the three bolts holding the regulator. Then loosen the front nut holding the "rail" and the rear nut holden the rear u-bracket rail. Sorry for the swinglish explanation!:lol:
Then put the regulator in the upper position towards the roofrail. Then tighten the bolts and nuts and make smaller adjustment. Don't forget to adjust the inside stop which regulates how far up the glass can be lifted.

Loosen up the three bolts holding the regulator. Then loosen the front nut holding the "rail" and the rear nut holden the rear u-bracket rail. Sorry for the swinglish explanation!:lol:
Then put the regulator in the upper position towards the roofrail. Then tighten the bolts and nuts and make smaller adjustment. Don't forget to adjust the inside stop which regulates how far up the glass can be lifted.

Hi 65DartCharger, I understand the terminology you were using above. I have tried several different combinations of loosening the regulator bolts, U-bracket rail bolts and the large front rail nut.

If you look close at the picture showing the regulator bolts, you can see that the large front rail nut is as far forward as it can go. The front rail is what seems to control the front to back placement of the window. Now the front rail has a bend that goes to the front of the car that I believe is suppose to push the bottom of the window towards the front of the car more quickly during the last inch or two of travel upwards.

Is there any way to determine if my regulator arms may be bent? It like the front arm of the regulator is bend down a little which prevent the window from engaging the bend at the top of the front rail. My thoughts are to find someone that has a rear quarter regulator out of the car and could take a picture of it for me.

I really appreciate your help!

Teratech

Hi 65DartCharger, I understand the terminology you were using above. I have tried several different combinations of loosening the regulator bolts, U-bracket rail bolts and the large front rail nut.

If you look close at the picture showing the regulator bolts, you can see that the large front rail nut is as far forward as it can go. The front rail is what seems to control the front to back placement of the window. Now the front rail has a bend that goes to the front of the car that I believe is suppose to push the bottom of the window towards the front of the car more quickly during the last inch or two of travel upwards.

Is there any way to determine if my regulator arms may be bent? It like the front arm of the regulator is bend down a little which prevent the window from engaging the bend at the top of the front rail. My thoughts are to find someone that has a rear quarter regulator out of the car and could take a picture of it for me.

I really appreciate your help!

Teratech
I will search through my pictures for you. You get a picture tomorrow.

Last edited:
After spending another couple of hours playing with it I ended up with a couple of little hacks that got the window fairly close. It's still about a 1/4" down but way better then before.

What I ended up with was removing the front bolt of three that secures the regulator to the car. (See picture) This allowed me to move the complete regulator frame up to the limit of travel with the window crank shaft hit the top of the stamped hole for the window crank shaft.

The next hack was to loosen the bolts that hold the glass in the frame and raise the front edge of the glass to the limit of travel with in the mounting hole. This gave me about another 1/4" of lift.

I did end up taking the regulator out and looking it over very carefully. One thing I did notice was the pivot point, where the lift arms form a "X" is a stamped piece that acts as the pivot point and the mounting point for the three stamped metal arms that make up the lift "X", was loose. The arm that makes up the back lift is one piece while the front lift arm is two separate pieces held together with the stamped piece at the pivot point of the lift arms.

The arm that attaches to the front side of the window had about 1/2" of play through the pivot point in the middle. I tried to tighten up the stamped point piece and where it connects the two pieces that makes up the front lift arm. Made this a little tighter, but not as much as I would have liked to tighten it up.

Considering the car is a little old, I am happy that the window can be cranked up and down now and fills the hole enough so critters can't get in now.

IMG_20210406_104534060.jpg

IMG_20210406_104633882.jpg

IMG_20210406_104642536.jpg

@65dartcharger - Thanks for the pictures! I was curious how much play that regulator has at the pivot point? How much play between the two pieces that make up the front of window lift arm? I was wondering if the play in that pivot point is normal and if so how much.

Appreciate all of your help!

@65dartcharger - Thanks for the pictures! I was curious how much play that regulator has at the pivot point? How much play between the two pieces that make up the front of window lift arm? I was wondering if the play in that pivot point is normal and if so how much.

Appreciate all of your help!
I checked tonight. It's very tight and not much plat. Would it be possible to press the center rivet a little bit more?

-
Back