1965 cuda water pump

-

hdroyals

Reaction score
i am working on a 1978 318 to put in my cuda was told the motor was from a truck. the water pump has wrong outlet just wondering which water pump i need. it is a non ac car and i believe i have original radiator. will a 273 pump fit the 318

thanks for any help

You will need the 64 to 69 cast iron pump to use with your original driver's side lower hose radiator. Or swap radiators to match your water pump ..

You need the 69? and earlier water pump, use the timing chain cover and timing tab also for the 273. Check the timing chain and replace that also if needed.

what radiator will fit with with the water i have. might be a better option as the water pump on the motor looks new

what radiator will fit with with the water i have. might be a better option as the water pump on the motor looks new

70 and up 22 inch V8 radiator. You might have to drill new holes in the core support.

i just dont know if i want to get into changing timing cover also. maybe not that bad i just have never done one

I have done a similar swap, using a later alum w.p. in my 1965 273. It depends on which accessories & pulleys you will use (1965 or 1978 ). It opened a can of worms. I had to use a later Federal p.s. pump since no brackets exist to mount my TRW pump to the alum w.p. The pulleys all change and need to space the alternator to match. The extra 1" thickness put the fan closer to the radiator, so I couldn't use a clutch fan. I had to cut a new TDC mark in my crank damper.

power steering pump on pre 1970 bolts to an extra boss on water pump, do u have p. steering? cuz 1970+ pump no have. and it is the pump inlet that moved to passenger side in 1970

sorry left out what accessories i have. no air or power steering just going to keep it simple as possible thanks for the help

also - if it is an automatic check that the hub on the torque converter fits in the crank, or if it is a standard trans. check the crank for a pilot bushing

-
Back