1965 dart automatic - Can i do a floor shift and keep the Bench Seat?

-

ringydingydingd

member jr.
Reaction score
My car is a 1965 Dart convertible 270.
Soon I'm movin on up from a 273 to a 360.
To make room for some tti headers, i need to change from the column shift floor shift. But i do not want to switch to bucket seats.

So. A bench seat and Auto shift console on the floor in my '65 is the goal.

Has anyone set their car up this way? Have any pictures?

Was the stock cable for the shifter long enough to place the console in front of the bench?
Or will i have to cut the console?
Or get a longer cable?

Thank you in advance for the guidance.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

(and a very merry x-mas to you and yours.)

First you can,t do a console and a bench seat.2 the shifter is linkage not cable. Mark

I am not sure but I believe you might be able to use a cable floor shifter with console from a 64-65 Barracuda.

Ringy,
Let me make sure i follow... you currently have a column shifted 904 and would like to convert to a floor shift. These early 904's (65 and earlier) use a special floor shifter setup which is cable operated. You *may* be able to install the shifter on the floor but you won't be able to use the cover for it because it'll interfere with the bench. The (expensive) solution is to install a later year 904 which can be operated with standard floor shifters (B&M, Hurst...) but you'll also have to replace the driveshaft since yours is setup with the ball and trunion... No easy solution here i'm afraid.... Buckets are actually your best bet since you can get the 64-65 floor shifters pretty easily...

Patrick you have it exactly right.

I guess if i can install it on the floor, but the console wont work i may just use a boot cover of some sort...

might have to get creative...

since i REALLY dont want to go to buckets does anyone have any suggestions?

After market cable drive should be able to work some way :read2:but it would need a longer handel and brackets made up to hold the cable to your trans some where I would think, but not sure.8) I never thought about this before, seems like it would be hard to locate the correct shift length so you are in gear correctly
Be careful and don't hurt the trans

Are you going to change out your steering column or just remove your handel?

maybe use a cable shifter from a a100 van. not sure just throwing it out there since the were on the dash the cable is longer.

i dont see why he cant position the 65 type floor shifter and 65 small console so it doesnt interfere with the bench,,we can go to the moon,,,it can be done,,,you wil need a 65 dart/valiant /barracuda floor shifter,matching console,,and the brackets or make your own brackets,,,

The 65 column is going to be pretty far under your dash if you want to keep it in front of the bench. I had a pickup that had a stick and a bench as well as my moms 3 sp Duster ( I used to sit in the middle and shift when I was about 5) if you wanted to make some weird under the seat bracket and have the handle curl over the seat ala pistol grip? EZ to go 904 with custom driveshaft and that strange "twist grip" that B&M had years ago. Looks like a motorcycle grip or go new school: electric servo paddle shifter on the wheel.

i dont see why he cant position the 65 type floor shifter and 65 small console so it doesnt interfere with the bench,,we can go to the moon,,,it can be done,,,you wil need a 65 dart/valiant /barracuda floor shifter,matching console,,and the brackets or make your own brackets,,,

SOME OPTIMISM! YES!

Got the 65 dart shifter mini-console and mounting bracket from Wildcat.
Check check and check.
Even managed to find a wiring harness for under the carpet to light the little console. (Thank you Red.)

When we figure out the exact spot for the console I will be looking for an appropriate pistol-grip type of bent shifter handle to fabricate onto the existing one so that it will reach up from down low.

I will post pictures of the project when we start the work next month.

wish us luck.

Thanks again for all the help.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

glad you decided to run with your idea,,,,make it happen lets see some pics,,,,,,good luck

I have the brackets from a 65 barracuda, a shifter assembly, and possibly the console, I'll look. Seems to me, that you could mount it so that it clears the bench, use the longer (maybe a100) cable if needed, and make an extension or longer shifter arm. I'll sell this stuff cheaply, just to see if it can be done!

Merry Christmas! David

Oops! I see you have the console. I do have the mounting brackets that you can weld in place to make it secure. $20 shipped in US.

-
Back