1965 Dart Gas tank removal HELP

-

williaml

Reaction score
I need to drop the tank I think since it leaks right where the filler tube enters the tank. I got a new gasket and since sending unit isn't working I got a new one also. Do I need to drop the tank and if so how hard is it to do? Thanks for anyone who answers....

Thanks
Bill

Dart owner and love it

If it's anything like later Darts, you have to pull the filler neck, unhook the sender/pump take off, and then loosen the cross-tank strap bolt and it falls down. Make sure you have some stands ready for it to come down on. If it has gas in it, siphon it out to a can (or series of cans) first otherwise you'll probably mush yourself (or your fingers) under there.

65-66 FSM says remove 3 screws at filler tube and quarter panel, 5 screws at tube to floor panel, remove vent tube, twist and push tube into gas tank unto it clears quarter panel, then turn 180 and pull out. Remove strap(s) and it should drop down. Remember to siphon all gas out and disconnect fuel sender wire and fuel line. Use a brass drift to unlock ring on sender, no sparks and you should aerate tank for at least 2 days before welding (duh!)

I need to drop the tank I think since it leaks right where the filler tube enters the tank. I got a new gasket and since sending unit isn't working I got a new one also. Do I need to drop the tank and if so how hard is it to do? Thanks for anyone who answers....

Thanks
Bill

Dart owner and love it

I'm officialy an expert. I've had my gas tank on and off so many times I actually time myself. Last time was seven minutes.Drain fuel tank unscrew screws at filler cap ,unscrew screws at trunk floor. If you have a vent tube remove it. Put a jack underneath tank ( floor jack is great for this) undo fuel line and electrical. Lossen tank staps, lower jack a bit you may have to jiggle tank a little to free it up. Loosen straps more or all the way. lower jack some more. Get the tank down to where you can pull the filler tube out ,shouldn't take much. Once tube is free lower tank down. Pretty simple. This is a good time to check filler tube gasket and trunk floor rubber boot. These can be found on ebay for a resonable price also look at the gas tank pad ,nows a good time to replace it if its damaged. I do make the pads and sell them very reasonable. I don't think theres much difference between 65-66 and 67- 74. Good luck

What is the purpose of the pad? Is it to prevent rubbing and possible wear thru on the tank?

7 minutes zigs? impressive. the pad is to insulate the tank from the trunk floor to prevent squeeks, rubbing etc etc

7 minutes zigs? impressive. the pad is to insulate the tank from the trunk floor to prevent squeeks, rubbing etc etc

Would have done it quicker but I had a beer in my hand. Really not trying to impress anyone. Its one of the easier things I've done on this car. Its more intimidating then anything.
To Willi ,yes its to prevent rubbing metal to metal and sqweeking.

You can replace the grommet fairly easily thru the trunk. I have changed senders with the tank in the car. Not easy, but do-able.

I wait until almost empty and drive the rear up on car ramps. Undo the straps on one side only and the tank will slide down the straps, using your body or hands to support it. I cleaned and painted mine, but let it vent a long time before using a wire wheel. Also, a great time to paint the trunk floor while you have it out, but don't do the typical dork "spray paint over rust and gunk" method.

-
Back