1965 Dart gauge problems!

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I start the car the temp gauge goes up direct to hot. I have a new voltage limiter but does not help. The alternator and fuel gauge works great.
I added the limiter on the old connection on the fuel gauge too.

Does any FABO members have a clue what could cause this issue? Thanks in advance.o what to do?

Could be a short between the gage and the sending unit.
Test for that right away so the resistance wire in the gage doesn't get burnt out.

Disconnect the wire to the sender, does it still do it?
If I disconnect the sendning unit it doesn't move. I have tried three temperature sending units two NOS one and one used but the will show hot on the gauge.

Can all three of them be shot? Can I check them in some way?

They all show hot?
Removing the wire they all show no movement ?
Look at the wire and wear it lays when connected. Seems to shorting to ground.

If you have resistance meter it will remove some questions.
For example you can then measure the resistance of the sending unit.

They all show hot?
Removing the wire they all show no movement ?
Look at the wire and wear it lays when connected. Seems to shorting to ground.

If you have resistance meter it will remove some questions.
For example you can then measure the resistance of the sending unit.
Yes, all three sending units shows hot. Disconnected = no movement. Maybe I should just check with the wires loose connected. Can itget's shorted in the hat for the sending unit?
I could also check the gauges on the desk.

Wow! This is a great resource. Is it available in print or file form somewhere? I tried to download it to Adobe, but it wouldn’t. Thanks. The solution to Ulf’s problem will probably be valuable to a lot of us.
The Imperial Club On-line put there compilation together years ago, so its HTML and jpgs.
Pretty complete but there's some coding issues and for adobe, you would have to be able to create a document from jpgs.
Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics

www.mymopar.com has most of them in pdf format. But they don't have a good index like Imperial Club. So use both.

I found it! It was the temperature sending unit. I foind an NOS number 4 and everything were alright! Yipii!

I found it! It was the temperature sending unit. I foind an NOS number 4 and everything were alright! Yipii!
Where did you find a NOS temp sender. I have tried over a dozen aftermarket of various brands. All read high ohmage when engine fully warm and gauge reads barely 1/4. Set up a fixture to substantiate.

When I start the car the temp gauge goes up direct to hot. I have a new voltage limiter but does not help. The alternator and fuel gauge works great.
I added the limiter on the old connection on the fuel gauge too.

Does any FABO members have a clue what could cause this issue? Thanks in advance.o what to do?
Sounds like a bad sender. Your gauge is getting full 6 volts. It usually goes the other way, ie. never reaches temp on the gauge. Hope you didn't burn out your gauge.

-
Back