1965 Dart GT floor shifter

-

schwinger

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
im currently doing a v8 swap in my 65 dart GT that had the original slant six in it that's tired out and installing a late 318 roller cam block with a 904 and I was wondering if anybody was able to use or adapt the stock floor shifter cables which there are two of them to the later transmission?

I was having trouble with my shift cables in my 65, picked up a 68 904 had rebuilt then I installed. I liked the look of the 65 console so I installed a Hurst Pro-matic shifter under the console. You eliminate the two cable system for a single cable set up, easier to work with. There are some other threads on here of guys installing after market shifters in factory consoles. I can post some pics of install and how it looks if your interested. Good luck

If you need any parts for the floor shifter pm me. I just converted to a 4-speed & have everything for 1965 gt floor shift automatic. Even the brackets that were tack welded to the floor.

That would be great if you can upload some pics gtxdude!! I probably just have to go that route then instead of trying to make the stock 2 cable setup work on a later single shift lever 904.

The tranny I have is a mid 70s 904 hippo65 which I have to use since the original 904 is for a slant 6 but thanks anyways!

You have to do some modification but it works and doesn't look to bad. I had to cut the bottom of ash tray off so it would clear shifter bracket under console, no one will know but you :) Not really crazy about ratchet shifter but there's only so many options you can do. There's other posts on this, some went with B&M. I thought the Pro-matic looked some what stock compared to others. good luck!

IMG_20150321_165117445.jpg

IMG_20150322_160007126.jpg

IMG_20150322_160049628.jpg

IMG_20150402_212654329.jpg

Whoa that does looks nice and clean! I'll definetly go that rout then instead of magyvering the stock 2 cable shifter to work with the new tranny! Thanks for the pics!

You know what they say, a picture's worth a couple hundred words or something like that :)

-
Back