1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Your patience, steady hand, and resourcefulness (potatoes!) are truly awesome.

agreed! and i must say im very impressed with the whole restoration.

(didnt you learn to use potatoes to make stamps in school over there in canada? i seem to remember learning this already in preschool then forgot all about it until i saw it again in this thread:cheers:)

Kevin!

Thanks for the lead! Unfortunatly I already have the clamp between the pipe and the resonator. It's the rest of the U-bolt clamps that I need! But thanks for the help.

Yesterday I got a call from Goran at GS Dack in Vannasby. Goran had for the last three weekends been working on the tires to get the dimension for the white wall right. He usedthe Wheel balansing machine and opted a air drill with some kind of thing to get the White wall bigger. The result was absolutely great. This is as close as I can get on the tire.

I stopped by GS Dack after work today with the rims that I polished yesterday. Before Goran got the tires on the rims we added the assembly line DILL valves steams in place. Now they looks like back in the day. However I need to clean the tire gently due to stampings and markings on the tire.

Now I just need the center cap, lug nuts and the DartCharger medalion.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 004.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 537
  • 005.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 506
  • 002.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 541
Here's another tidbit you may or may not have run across. Kelsey-Hayes operated a wheel plant in Windsor for many, many years. Finished wheels had a runout spec for the tire mounting surfaces, and .000 runout was considered scrap! Unfortunately, I never heard what the upper runout limit was.

Kevin! I can't get what you mean. School me please! :coffee2:

During the time of glass beading the spare rim I all of a sudden remember that a couple of years ago I bought assembly line wheel "weights" Not sure of the name but you get an idea when you see the picture. The weights that I found has .5 casted into them. What does it stand for? And was it smaller and bigger weights also?

Thanks FABO!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 501
When I got home from work Eric had sent me the last shipment of restored nut and bolts. He even did the upper control arm bumper to look new. Now I can start to assemble the upper control arms too!

Even the bolt that hold the front brake tee is done so now's everything in order.

I also recieved a package with the right cap for the master cylinder. There seems to be alot of versions but this one is the right one. It even had the vented paper gasket wit three stamped holes in it! I don't know when they changed the master cylinder cap. Was it in 1966?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 447
  • 003.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 498
  • 002.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 479
  • 001.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 489
  • 011.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 502
  • 005.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 473
In what other weight were they found? I might need to locate more different weights!! Did they have Chrysler part numbers?

Looks like I was mistaken; ½ oz was the smallest, at least in '65. There were also 1 oz, 1½ oz, 2 oz, 2½ oz, and 3 oz. See part type code 22-09-0 in your FPC; part numbers in '65 were 1615 349 through 1615 354, inclusive.

I also recieved a package with the right cap for the master cylinder. There seems to be alot of versions but this one is the right one. It even had the vented paper gasket wit three stamped holes in it! I don't know when they changed the master cylinder cap. Was it in 1966?

Fasten your seat belt: Part number is 2265 641 for '66, '65, and '64. In '64 the part number carries a * indicating "change or addition". In '63 the part number is 2265 642! Same in '62. In '61, the part number is 1731 225, which is also listed in '66 "with power disc brakes".

Whee!
redbeard.gif

Fasten your seat belt: Part number is 2265 641 for '66, '65, and '64. In '64 the part number carries a * indicating "change or addition". In '63 the part number is 2265 642! Same in '62. In '61, the part number is 1731 225, which is also listed in '66 "with power disc brakes".

Whee!
redbeard.gif

Problen is you don't see the caps! Can the changes has taken place in 67 then?

Whee!
redbeard.gif

Can the changes taken place in 66 then? What I know is that 65 only had one modell of cap!

Can the changes taken place in 66 then?

Asked and answered, your honour! Re-read what I wrote in post 2286. This is probably one of those cases where not only did factory parts differ from service parts, but also multiple variants of a part, with fit/function interchangeability but different appearance, have the same service part number.

Asked and answered, your honour! Re-read what I wrote in post 2286. This is probably one of those cases where not only did factory parts differ from service parts, but also multiple variants of a part, with fit/function interchangeability but different appearance, have the same service part number.

Thanks Dan for the input. I'll do somedigging tomorrow in old car Magazines and see what I can come up with!

Another piece of the puzzle is done.The interikor guy Hans at Astroms Sadelmakeri in Lycksele in Swedish Lapland called and said that the seats were done. Since I had a visit there today I was able to pick it up! And man was I impressed of the work he did. Even the underside of the seats looks new. Now I just need to add the paper tags and the metal date tags for the seat springs.

If I had the carpet!!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 449
  • 002.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 444
  • 003.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 439
Ulf, all I can say is WOW. What great job! And your eye to all the details is a amazing!

Ulf, all I can say is WOW. What great job! And your eye to all the details is a amazing!

Thanks Plaschy! It's getting better and better!

Today was the spare wheel day! I did some serious paint job on the rim last night and then today my oldest son Kevin gave me a hand with mounting the tire at Ettings Maskinservice where he works. He did take some extra care when mounting a 49 year old tire but it all vent good.

Some cleaning and the tire was ready to into the trunk. After I put it in the trunk I could add the jack stand plate and the wing nut. On top of that the bowl plate and the last wind nut. Even if this a factory correct tire with the right dimension there is a gap of almost 1 inch on the sides of the spare wheel cover!! Does not look good but that's the way they came!

I also mounted the front bumper brackets. That work gave me a question; - Were the brackets mounted on the bumper before mounting it or was the brackets loose mounted on the body before the bumper was added??

Any comments is greatly appriciated!

Thanks FABO

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 014.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 392
  • 013.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 009.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 007.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 406
  • 006.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 414
  • 005.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 413
  • 003.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 381
  • 002.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 433
  • 001.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 422
I came to think of you when I saw this nos 13" sbp Cragar.
Hard to say how old it is but I would assume they didn't make the 13" version for a very long time?

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NOS-13X5-5-CRAGAR-SS-MOPAR-4-5-LUG-MAG-WHEEL-DART-DUSTER-BARRACUDA-VALIANT-/400694920682?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item5d4b4745ea&vxp=mtr[/ame]

It's looking really good Ulf! It's really funny to follow this thread each day. I hope to see it in reality sometime in future when it's finished. Thumbs up!

It's looking really good Ulf! It's really funny to follow this thread each day. I hope to see it in reality sometime in future when it's finished. Thumbs up!

Thanks for the nice comments! I hope it can be an inspiration for others too. I have followed Tincup's work and that has been a true inspiration for me even if it's not a stock restoration.

Today was seat Sunday! I added all the paper tags and the date code tags so now they are ready for the seat tracks!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 373
  • 004.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 397
  • 002.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 401
  • 001.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 385
After stopping by my friend Johan last night I was able to use his tools to get the upper control arm bushings in place. The tools were BMW but worked well anyway. But the big issue is that one of the bushings is smaller then the other three!!! So now I'm one short!!!:banghead:

According to the parts book there should be two sleeves on the car, one on each side. So the question is which side of the upper control arm should the sleeve be mounted??

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 002.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 003.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 356
Kevin! I can't get what you mean. School me please! :coffee2:

I caught Dan's ??? on this too. I was never able to get an explanation from anyone as to why this was the case, but wheels with .000" runout at the rim were considered scrap. I believe it had something to do with the runout of the tires and matching the high spot of one to the low area of the other and vice versa. Lateral and radial runout are measured on the wheels and it's the radial runout that's the more important of the two.

If you read through Section 22 of a service manual there should be a section on Tire & Wheel Runout.

Matching of wheel and tire high and low spots has now become an automated process at assembly plants. If you look at any brand new car, particularly before it has been pre-serviced, you'll see a little sticker on the wheel at the rim and another near the bead on the tire. These two stickers indicate where the tire should be mounted on the rim for minimum radial runout at the tread face.

From what I'm told, it was actually fairly easy in the wheel plant to get a rim to have .000 runout, and that was usually the initiation of any new foreman assigned to that portion of the plant.

Thanks Plaschy! It's getting better and better!

Today was the spare wheel day! I did some serious paint job on the rim last night and then today my oldest son Kevin gave me a hand with mounting the tire at Ettings Maskinservice where he works. He did take some extra care when mounting a 49 year old tire but it all vent good.

Some cleaning and the tire was ready to into the trunk. After I put it in the trunk I could add the jack stand plate and the wing nut. On top of that the bowl plate and the last wind nut. Even if this a factory correct tire with the right dimension there is a gap of almost 1 inch on the sides of the spare wheel cover!! Does not look good but that's the way they came!

I also mounted the front bumper brackets. That work gave me a question; - Were the brackets mounted on the bumper before mounting it or was the brackets loose mounted on the body before the bumper was added??

Any comments is greatly appriciated!

Thanks FABO

From what I recall from seeing '63 - '66 trunks, the gap between the masonite and the trunk floor is pretty normal. Remember this trunk pan stamping was designed for tires for 6cylinder cars. So I believe a 6.50-13 will give you a better fit, but V8 cars got wider tires which will sit taller in the tire well. The V8 engine A-body car wasn't considered when approval for these panels was signed off.

-
Back