1965 dodge dart shifting column cables

-

jimncindy

Reaction score
I need some help on my 65 dodge dart. I put new shifting cables on, had motor rebuilt, and tranie done as well, everything is original it is a slanted six, column shift. here is the problem. when i'm in reverse and try to put it in park it goes in park but it is still in reverse and it wont start there either i have to put it in neutral. i tried adjusting the cables. i even took out the steering column looking to see any reason why it will not work. it worked before all the rebuilding. for some reason and i cant figure out why were the cables hook up its not flipping the shifting cable back up to neutral. i have a original motor manual for the 1965 but it dont show how all that works. it shows how to adjust the cables at the tranie. i'm getting to the point were i just want to burn it. please help jim

1965 column cables are special -- there should be some members who have dealt with this, it might be as simple as the routing of the cable in the column,, the adjustment procedure is also very particular.
Take a deep breathe & keep plugging away
do some searching & hopefully a knowledgeable member will point you in the right direction ,Lawrence

Hey everyone I found the problem. It's the transmission. Last sat. after hours of working trying to find what was wrong I went & got the old trans. & took the pan off & noticed the difference in the valve body. The trans. that I had rebuilt was out of a 64 push button & my car is a 65 column. The push button flips the shifting cable back to neutral when you put it in park but on the 65 the valve body handles that. What a long lesson to learn I have been trying to figure this out for a long, long time jim

good for you, had you mentioned that first it would have been a big help. We could have told you about the valve bodies being different-- but now you know & you can help the next person who tries this swap..

By the way any pics of your project? Lawrence

good for you, had you mentioned that first it would have been a big help. We could have told you about the valve bodies being different-- but now you know & you can help the next person who tries this swap..

Yup in the thread I thought it was the trans. you pulled out to rebuild that was giving trouble. Those of us that had played with these awhile know of the two valve bodies and could have helped sooner.

I have heard that the cable-shift valve body for 1965 is different. I thought it was because they changed to the now-standard P-R-N-D-2-1 pattern. Sounds like you discovered the true difference.

No pics yet i need to paint yet

I have heard that the cable-shift valve body for 1965 is different. I thought it was because they changed to the now-standard P-R-N-D-2-1 pattern. Sounds like you discovered the true difference.

It only took me about a year to learn this

Yup in the thread I thought it was the trans. you pulled out to rebuild that was giving trouble. Those of us that had played with these awhile know of the two valve bodies and could have helped sooner.

No I had this 64 trany and just thought I would just rebuild it (wrong)

-
Back