1965 Factory Air Pulleys and Belts

-

PocketAces

Reaction score
Does anyone have an original 1965 273 with factory air that could take a look at these pictures of my belts and pulleys and compare to your car?

My AC compressor is driven by a single belt that rides a crankshaft pulley and an idler as shown in these photos.

The factory service manual on page 7-10 shows three different configurations for the V8. The second drawing is similar to mine except they have labeled the idler as "L" (whatever that means) and they have an extra "Roller" to the driver's side of the AC compressor.

The third photo shows a mystery piece of metal under the same bolts as the power steering bracket. The end of this piece is rought as though it broke off. Perhaps this was part of the original "Roller" bracket in the factory service manual.

The computer at Pep Boys and also RockAuto.com says the AC compressor is driven by two belts that also drive the alternator. This would match the third drawing in the factory service manual. Perhaps that's for dealer installed air?

I'm trying to keep the car as close to original as possbile. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• P0001_102511.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 589
  • P0002_102511.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 562
  • P0003_102511.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 576
  • belts.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 555
That's lookin' a little more like the dealer air compressor bracket and muffler than factory air to me but I can't see enough in these photos to say for sure. By "factory air" do you mean the type that has the slim vent outlet under the dash, with three adjustable louvers, and a combination heat/defog/AC control in the dashboard with five rectangular pushbuttons and one temperature slider?

That's lookin' a little more like the dealer air compressor bracket and muffler than factory air to me but I can't see enough in these photos to say for sure. By "factory air" do you mean the type that has the slim vent outlet under the dash, with three adjustable louvers, and a combination heat/defog/AC control in the dashboard with five rectangular pushbuttons and one temperature slider?

Yes that's what I mean by factory air. Here's two more pictures.

Attachments

• P0004_102511.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 564
  • P0005_102511.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 536
One more clue. The fender tag includes a number 1 in position E which indicates a/c w heater.

Thanks for the confirmation. '65 FPC calls out 1x "Belt, Engine to Compressor" (2268 222) and 1x "Belt, Engine to Alternator to Compressor" (1945 343) for A-bodies with 273 and factory A/C, but also calls out both single-groove and double-groove compressor clutches for 8-cylinder A-bodies with A/C. No distinction is drawn in group 7-03 (cooling system/belts) or group 24-25-20 (compressor clutch pulleys) between factory and dealer A/C. So…I can't help clear up the mystery. Sorry!

The pictures in this document helped me a lot.
http://www.jholst.net/65-parts-manual/air-conditioning.pdf?

"Model 954" was stamped in yellow paint on my heater box and on the underdash vents. The pictures for Model 954 on pages 24-6 and 24-7 match my car very well. There is no "Roller" in these pictures, only an Idler which I have.

There is a Roller in something called the "Model K" on page 24-11. Model K is not what I have. Perhaps Model K is the dealer installed AC?

I'm also still a tiny bit curious about the mystery metal in my third photograph. My car did not originally come with Power Steering. The previous owner told me that they added it so his mom could continue driving it as she got older. Perhaps it came off a car with dealer air?

Model K is indeed the '65 underdash dealer air made by Chrysler's Airtemp division.
Model 954 is the '65-'66 factory heat/AC system.
The roller (belt backside idler) was generally present only on the bigger cars, whether you had a six- or eight-cylinder engine, and did a good job of improving belt wrap around the clutch pulley and eliminating belt slap. Your theory about the add-on P/S is plausible.

looks like afactory air to me I am lloking for the idler pulley to complete mine can you help

i dont have power steering so i dont know if this will help. 1 belt CS,ALT,AC the second WP,TEN,CS. my tensioner is fairly low, near the crank.

Attachments

• IMG_0653_1.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 513
I would say that the compressor is an dealer kit compressor. First and second picture is showing that style. It also has just one belt. The factory one had two belt and the bracket for the alternator was casted. The alternator also had two belt pulley as shown in third picture.

Attachments

• !BuW4S4Q!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKi4EvN9ENgK7BL++H8wqrQ~~_3.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Picture%20231%20(Medium).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 480
  • !B+Lg-1!BGk~$(KGrHqIOKnMEz4Ohhmi5BM-7cqPwPQ~~_12.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 492
Here is a few pictures of my factory air on my 65 273 that was order from the factory not dealer install.

Attachments

• 64 Dart GT 056 (Large).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 471
  • 64 Dart GT 055 (Large).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 500
  • 64 Dart GT 054 (Large).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 498
  • 64 Dart GT 053 (Large).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 506
  • 64 Dart GT 052 (Large).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 508
My 1965 Dodge Dart GT has factory a/c. It has the two belt set-up, that also has the dual belt set-up on the alternator. Do not have power steering. pm me for email pics.

Time to resurrect this old thread. I'm trying to get my engine brackets sorted out.

Here is another picture of the brackets that came with my car.
View attachment Brackets.jpg

I think I agree with the comments above that these are the brackets for dealer air, with a single AC compressor drive belt.

I did find the missing roller/tensioner on eBay. This may not be the right setup for my car, but at least it completes the set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310946421397?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I went through a collection of AC parts I bought off craigslist years ago. I think I found the cast iron alternator bracket ULF is referring to, as well as the fan belt tensioner used on AC cars.

Here it is mocked up on the engine.

Attachments

• 20140531_121929.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 350
  • 20140531_121225.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 377
  • 20140531_121210.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 334
I have looked at dozens of pictures on the web of 65 AC cars, but I've only found 1 picture with this cast iron bracket.

View attachment 1965_Plymouth_Barracuda_Formula_S_Engine_1.jpg

This is from a 65 Barracuda that was for sale here and advertised as having factory air.
http://bringatrailer.com/2009/12/30/bat-exclusive-1965-plymouth-barracuda-formula-s/

So my first question is whether this is the correct setup for a 65 car with AC? Given the lack of photos, it seems to be pretty rare. But maybe not that many cars left the factory with AC in 65.

My second question is what should the alternator adjusting strap look like? That's the one piece I'm still missing. I might be able to fab one but I would need to know which bolt it's supposed to connect to.

According to RockAuto, the two belts that drive the AC Compressor and the alternator should be 59.5" long. I measured around the pulley's and a belt that long would fit nicely.

I pulled some more info from the 65 Passenger Car Parts Catalog.

[ame]http://www.jholst.net/65-parts-manual/air-conditioning.pdf[/ame]
AC compressor should be a V2, part#2021209
My pulley should be a double groove pulley with OD of 6 1/2", part# 2521654

[ame]http://www.jholst.net/65-parts-manual/electrical.pdf[/ame]
Alternator Bracket with AC, part# 2468823 - no way to confirm this is the cast iron bracket I have.
Alternator Adjusting Strap, two part#s listed: 2463127 or 2468824

None of these numbers turns up anything on Google.

Let me know if you need any pictures from the engine compartment. I have both the convertible and the wagon to shoot from!

For the numbers guys, here the production of 1965 Darts with A/C;

Dart slant six series
Dart 2 dr sedan 504 cars
Dart 4 dr sedan 1394 cars
Dart 270 2 dr sedan 334 cars
Dart 270 2 dr ht 331 cars
Dart 270 4 dr sedan 3346 cars
Dart 270 convertible 12 cars
Dart GT 2 dr ht 1943 cars
Dart GT convertible 30 cars
Dart wagon 239 cars
Dart 270 wagon 279 cars
Total slant six series 8412 cars

Dart V8 series
Dart 2 dr sedan 53 cars
Dart 4 dr sedan 255 cars
Dart 270 2 dr sedan 111 cars
Dart 270 2 dr ht 254 cars
Dart 270 4 dr sedan 1350 cars
Dart 270 convertible 15 cars
Dart GT 2 dr ht 2024 cars
Dart GT convertible 63 cars
Dart wagon 75 cars
Dart 270 wagon 296 cars
Total Dart V8 series 4496 cars.

Grand total Dart w/A/C 12908 cars.

Let me know if you need any pictures from the engine compartment. I have both the convertible and the wagon to shoot from!

Pictures of the alternator and AC brackets would be awesome.

I think I may end-up making an alternator adjusting strap so I would need to know things like length, width, offset, and which bolt it connects to.

Do your AC cars have the same cast iron alternator bracket I show in Post 14?

Is there a bracket on the right rear of the AC compressor that bolts to front of the cylinder head, underneath the cast iron alternator bracket? If so, what sort of spacer goes under the third bolt to keep everything square? Two flat washers seem to be doing the job for me.

How many round supports do you have from the compressor cylinder heads to the intake manifold? I only have one, but I think maybe there is supposed to be two of them?

Pictures of the alternator and AC brackets would be awesome.

I think I may end-up making an alternator adjusting strap so I would need to know things like length, width, offset, and which bolt it connects to.

Do your AC cars have the same cast iron alternator bracket I show in Post 14?

Is there a bracket on the right rear of the AC compressor that bolts to front of the cylinder head, underneath the cast iron alternator bracket? If so, what sort of spacer goes under the third bolt to keep everything square? Two flat washers seem to be doing the job for me.

How many round supports do you have from the compressor cylinder heads to the intake manifold? I only have one, but I think maybe there is supposed to be two of them?

I'll shoot you all the Pictures you need for your car tomorrow. Front, rear, upper,lower and I will take off the air cleaner so you will get a better view.

I'll shoot you all the Pictures you need for your car tomorrow. Front, rear, upper,lower and I will take off the air cleaner so you will get a better view.

OK, you got them today!!LOL

Here is what it looks like on my wagon. 273, all original and never molested. Let me know if you need more pictures.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 014.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 013.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 012.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 011.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 010.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 009.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 336
OK, you got them today!!LOL

Here is what it looks like on my wagon. 273, all original and never molested. Let me know if you need more pictures.

Thanks Ulf! Those pictures answered a ton of questions.

That's the same alternator bracket I have. I can see the rear compressor bracket under the alternator bracket. I can see there are indeed two round supports on the back of the compressor. I'm missing the one on the left side.

What I'm not quite sure of is the front compressor bracket. I think mine looks different than yours, but the 65 Passenger Car Parts Catalog only lists one part number for Valiant/Dart, 2264215. Mine has two threaded holes for the Model K AC Idler pulley (see post 14). I can't tell on yours whether there is just one hole (for the alternator adjusting strap) or two holes. Mine angles out to a point on the right hand side, while yours seems to go straight down. It could just be the angle the photo was taken at. Take a look at my picture in post 14 and tell me if you think it's the same as yours.

The other thing that would help is if you could measure the alternator adjusting strap. I would need total length, distance to the first bend, distance to the second bend, and the length of the slotted portion. Is it completely straight or is there some curve to it?

Thanks again. This thread will make it so much easier for anyone in the future who is trying to put their 1965 AC system back together. So many times this stuff was taken off and thrown away when it stopped working.

Ulf, I have one more request. Could you measure the outside diameter of the front of the compressor pulley?

Here's a photo of the bracketry I've collected so far for factory AC.

Attachments

• 20140627_193404.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 249
-
Back