1965 Formula S Barracuda

-

hangtendartsport

Reaction score
I have had a few days to look at this. I recently brought this car back to Southern California.
It is definitely a Project car. Yes, I know not a high dollar car, but I have always wanted an Ivory with Gold Stripe/Interior, and was looking for an S car.
There are not many options, other than the Formula S option. No power options at all. Does have the 3-spoke wheel, AM radio, manual drivers mirror, back up lights, undercoating/underhood pad. It needs a lot of work.
The Bad: Has a lot of bumps and bruises. No known history. The Broadcast page I pulled out of back seat was for another car, 2 digits off. Missing exhaust from Y pipe back. Missing the original rear valance with cut out, some rust on trunk and on the passenger floor. Glass out of rear passenger window. I have the original front fender with S badge, original paint and Barracuda script. But it was scraped and the wheel well was pinched. I think it is repairable.
Broken windshield. Interior is tattered, and dirty. Needs entire interior redone
The Good: Fender tag shows it is an S Car with corresponding options, original CA car, has most of the Formula S components (missing spare and 2 of the wheelcovers) body is solid with only stated rust areas, has the original windshield locking strip, so looks like window never out, engine runs and drives, original paint car so you can see what's there.
Any thoughts on this car? I was hoping to find something to help me track previous owners, found only a couple of partial Bank deposit slips 2 different persons, one in Newport Beach, one in Tustin CA. I was a little concerned about rivots missing at the VIN number on Door jamb? would this mean anything? It appears to be a legit S car, with the fender tag.

012.JPG

013.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

65 Formula S 2016 016.JPG

65 Formula S 2016 017.JPG

65 Formula S 2016 033.JPG

That is an awesome machine, and would be an great restoration when completed. Plus, don't kid yourself there are some recent
sales of these early Formula S cars going for $20's & $30's correctly done.
Thanks, C.

On the positive side, most of the missing pieces are available. I am restoring a 65 formula S myself and have found everything I have needed so far. Good luck with your parts search and keep us posted. I think prices may have gone up a little, but as you said it isn't a high dollar car from what I can see. Take it a step at a time. Tag and label parts you take off and especially nuts and bolts.

I really do like the ivory on gold with gold stripes. That will make one shape car when complete

Cool car. Vin tag is as it should be. They did not have rivets.
Red flag though is rear valence. Anything can happen but why would someone change such a pita to deal with out and it looks aged to rest of car. But then again it looks to have correct tach. Do you have pics of fender tag. Does it definately have 31 under the ab portion?

I remember these cars and I recall the 273 V8 with mild cam and 4 bbl being nicknamed the Power Pack rated at 235 ponies and only later the entry of the 273 Forumla S engine being rated 275 ponies....this engine was heavily optioned from the factory in performance parts..standard 273 2 bbl at 180 HP was still nothing to laugh at in the lighter weight vehicles..the two engines were distinctly different and if they badged the car earlier with the Formula S badging..I don't remember them.

That is correct. Mild cam, domed pistons,4 barrel carb and the hypo exhaust system. All make for a fun car to drive. Listed at 235 hp.

I was known to cat about in a power pack Barracuda and tag along on a ride or two in a Dart GT power pack...drove a Valiant 273 2 bbl to and from work for years...very well heeled for the size car it was....back when gas was 30 cents a gallon and love was a dollar away...I don't think the police have the capacity to tame the highways if fuel was 30 cents today....

True my friend. The 273 was called the Commando in the Formula S car. It was something different in the Dart.

here is the fender tag, and thank you all for your input
I have already bought the glass at passenger side, and just picked up a complete power pack exhaust with resonater and original muffler
I still cant get over the wrong build sheet under the seat. I will have to post it in the Lost and found section...

65 Formula S 2016 013.JPG

65 Formula S 2016 014.JPG

65 Formula S 2016 015.JPG

Congratulations, sounds like you are well on your way.

The 2 under C on fender tag clenches her as true formula S. Congrats and good luck with her. Weird about rear valance not having cutout for hipo-exhaust system. Anything possible with ma mopar back in the day though. LOL.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Thank you
My first guess would be it was replaced, but why I don't know
Curiously, my 65 commando 4 speed with the valance cut out, is damaged at the valance ! The original owners son told me he was the guilty party , but since it is a survivor, I leave it alone

Ok 273 2bbl was 180 horse, 273 4bbl was Commando not power pack and 235 horse, 273 in D Dart with factory headers was 275 horse. 273 4bbl in Dart was Charger.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here is the broadcast page I found
Note the number is 2 digits off
The Power Pack was a Chevy option just like we have sure-grip and they use a posi.
The Power Pack was a Chevy option just like we have sure-grip and they use a posi.
I only referred to power pack as I think it's on the factory box labeling the high performance resonator
I
I like it hangtendartsport it looks like a nice solid project.

we can get the haters going with this but the only original idea Chevy ever had was to steal from everyone else......if you have the Mopar Engines book it is good reading.

The August 2011 issue of Mopar Muscle had a spread on a nicely restored 65 Formula S. It looks like the twin to the one you purchased...SS paint code with gold stripe. These are really fun little cars to drive. I have 4 vintage Mopars (two Chargers and two Barracudas), and the 65 FS is my favorite car to drive.
Good luck on the restoration...you will enjoy your find when it's on the road again.

Thank you for the clarification on the power pack. The 273 Commando came out in the Formula S in 1965.

-
Back