1965 valiant advice

-

moparkrazed

Moparkrazed
Reaction score
Hey guys, my uncle passed away almost 2 months ago and I inherited his 65 Plymouth valiant. I’ve never messed with early A bodies only 73 up A bodies. It’s a cool car, slat six, 3 on the tree, but needs some work. How does the door latch work? I just got it home and noticed the door closes but doesn’t stay shut. I’m assuming the star looking thing locks inside the latch compartment if that makes sense. I’m hoping to start working on it after I get my dart swinger flex plate replaced in the next month or two. Any advice on what could be the issue or just tips and tricks would be much appreciated. It’s a cool car and I’m looming forward to digging into it. It looks like it’s a numbers matching car, slant six, 3 on the tree, white with blue interior ( what’s left of it) l, radio delete, 4 door car.

Get some good lube (Not WD40!) and spray the door latch mechanism to free it up. Take the door panel off and also spray all of the linkage from both the outer and inner door handles. Might as well lube the door lock linkage too. They sit around and dry up...and everything sticks, so hopefully doing that will fix it.

Yeah. Try cleaning and lubing it first. NO heavy grease. That will make it stick. Clean them good with brake cleaner. Then come back with something light. I use a product called Fluid Film. It has penetrating oil properties, but is made more for storing machine metal parts. In other words, it has high cling properties. It works well.

Last edited:
I just became the proud owner of a 1965 2dr 273 automatic Valiant. On the lubing of the door mechanism I suggest using a product called Fluid Film. Sprays on and stays wet. You can get it at Lowe’s or Home Depot and other places.

42F88BCD-D64C-40BA-87E7-6AD88230632C.jpeg

I just became the proud owner of a 1965 2dr 273 automatic Valiant. On the lubing of the door mechanism I suggest using a product called Fluid Film. Sprays on and stays wet. You can get it at Lowe’s or Home Depot and other places.

View attachment 1715681044

So how has your experiment with it gone? You were going to use it on some engine parts I think?

So how has your experiment with it gone? You were going to use it on some engine parts I think?
I bought a few different products that work Ok, but this stuff won hands down. I guess it’s been close to a year now that I ground the perches and shock mounts off a Dana60 housing. I sprayed the bare spots with Fluid Film, still looks like I just ground them off yesterday. Good stuff.

I bought a few different products that work Ok, but this stuff won hands down. I guess it’s been close to a year now that I ground the perches and shock mounts off a Dana60 housing. I sprayed the bare spots with Fluid Film, still looks like I just ground them off yesterday. Good stuff.

Yup. I've had the same experience.

Get some good lube (Not WD40!) and spray the door latch mechanism to free it up. Take the door panel off and also spray all of the linkage from both the outer and inner door handles. Might as well lube the door lock linkage too. They sit around and dry up...and everything sticks, so hopefully doing that will fix it.
Thanks for the input. If the rain clears out today I’ll be out there messing around with it. Really appreciate the help.

Yeah. Try cleaning and lubing it first. NO heavy grease. That will make it stick. Clean them good with brake cleaner. Then come back with something light. I use a product called Fluid Film. It has penetrating oil properties, but is made more for storing machine metal parts. In other words, it has high cling properties. It works well.
Thanks rustyratrod I’ll grab a can today and get started on it. Really looking forward to getting into the project. Appreciate your help.

Thanks sgbarracuda. Sounds like it’s some pretty good stuff after reading the other comments. I’ll be sure to pick some up and give that a try. I really appreciate your help.

I haven't used it as a lubricant, but as a protectant. I have had a problem with parts "on the shelf" rusting, just from humidity. I have been coating them with Fluid Film. So far, so good

You're probably going to have to adjust the striker plate on the door jamb .Try the spray can stuff first but I would recommend adjustment as well.If it's out of adjustment and you are slamming the door to get it to close sooner or later you will hurt something and have a larger problem .

You're probably going to have to adjust the striker plate on the door jamb .Try the spray can stuff first but I would recommend adjustment as well.If it's out of adjustment and you are slamming the door to get it to close sooner or later you will hurt something and have a larger problem .
Thanks valiant, the doors arnt slamming just one not staying closed. I looked at this am and the sooner wheel (looks like a star) freely spins. I think there is something missing behind the door panel. I’ll crack it open and take a look but it could use some oil. My uncle was fighting cancer for a while so he had no energy to work on the car, so it’s been sitting under his car port for a while.

Agreed. Stuff works great if you've got a bit of squeak from the hinges as well.

Thanks valiant, the doors arnt slamming just one not staying closed. I looked at this am and the sooner wheel (looks like a star) freely spins. I think there is something missing behind the door panel. I’ll crack it open and take a look but it could use some oil. My uncle was fighting cancer for a while so he had no energy to work on the car, so it’s been sitting under his car port for a while.

Just took a look at my 65 valiant. Looking at the star latch on the drivers door, it turns freely counterclockwise. You can hear a tooth ratcheting (clicking) as you turn it. I was able to turn it very slightly clockwise until it stopped, assuming it hit that ratchet.

If you can turn it either direction freely & there's no resistance/clicking sound, the ratcheting mechanism in there has likely bit the dust.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you find out.

Just took a look at my 65 valiant. Looking at the star latch on the drivers door, it turns freely counterclockwise. You can hear a tooth ratcheting (clicking) as you turn it. I was able to turn it very slightly clockwise until it stopped, assuming it hit that ratchet.

If you can turn it either direction freely & there's no resistance/clicking sound, the ratcheting mechanism in there has likely bit the dust.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you find out.
Hey jack, I’ll definitely update the post as soon as I figure it out. One thing I noticed is there is a lever that you can see through small joe on the inside of the door just under the latch. If I open the door that lever stays out and I have to take a small screwdriver to push it back over. I’m going to savannah this weekend to pick up the parts car so I’ll be able to remove both latches and see if there is a difference and post pics. That film stuff works great. Before I sprayed the hinges I could Alina it wake my neighbors by opening the doors but now they open and make no sound at all. Keep ya posted on the latch.

Thanks sgbarracuda. Sounds like it’s some pretty good stuff after reading the other comments. I’ll be sure to pick some up and give that a try. I really appreciate your help.

Read the deestruckshuns. You have to shake it really good like a paint can. It has a ball in it. I said ball.

Read the deestruckshuns. You have to shake it really good like a paint can. It has a ball in it. I said ball.
LOL. That’s how you know you got the manly version, I’m kidding... I’ll see myself out now haha just kidding. That stuff is awesome. I’ve never heard of it until y’all mentioned it, but it’s some good stuff.

Hey jack, I’ll definitely update the post as soon as I figure it out. One thing I noticed is there is a lever that you can see through small joe on the inside of the door just under the latch. If I open the door that lever stays out and I have to take a small screwdriver to push it back over. I’m going to savannah this weekend to pick up the parts car so I’ll be able to remove both latches and see if there is a difference and post pics. That film stuff works great. Before I sprayed the hinges I could Alina it wake my neighbors by opening the doors but now they open and make no sound at all. Keep ya posted on the latch.
No update yet. Drove to savannah but the weather made it where we couldn’t get tot the car. Had to use my truck to get my aunts truck unstuck from the mud. Hoping to go back within the next couple weeks then should be able to figure out the door latch issues. Sorry for the delay.

-
Back