1965 valiant convertable 318

-

robgeorge

Reaction score
just bought a nice convertable.its a six and i am thinking about converting to a 318.has anyone did this conversion that can give me a heads up on the problems?

bob

Welcome to FABO there, Bob! This swap has been done many times here, and is a common swap to do! You will need things like the V8 center link which has a drop to clear the V8 oil pan! You will also be looking for the V8 throttle cable setup which is cable operated instead of linkage, a set of V8 motor mounts for the early style K frame, a small block trans from a 64-5 car as they are cable operated, which changed in 66, and the slanty one will not mate to a V8! You may also want to change to the 22" radiator if your car is running the 19", the correct set of pulleys and timing cover for your motor, depending on which year motor you find! There was a change in the radiator inlet and outlet location in 1970 and later small blocks that may play into the water pump style you use with your radiator.

That's about the gist of the swap, and I may have forgotten a few details, but that is the bulk of the items anyway!! Good luck with your project, and enjoy the ride!! Geof

change of rear end, some change the t bars to little heavier, brakes for sure, at least to 10 in front drum or maybe disc, lots of good info on this site,you may have to use 340 style exh man , truck pans are different and won't work..
mail me the slant, I need one, Missouri insn't too far...
good luck and have fun..

-
Back