1965 Valiant LS Build

-

JGizmo

Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a 1965 Valiant, and I planned on putting a 5.3 LS in it. Well that didn't work out, so I bought a junkyard 6.0 LQ9 Vortec out of a Cadillac Escalade. While technically not an LS the Vortec only has minor differences, and I think it was a better choice budget-wise. Over the last few days, I've completed fabricating engine mounts and a transmission mount, and I have everything set in the car. In order to keep costs down this build is very much an amalgamation of parts left over from my coworkers' other projects, though as the car progresses I'm sure I'll upgrade a lot of the parts. Since I just made it over the first major hurdle of this project I figured I'd make a post. I understand this isn't for everyone, but for anyone who is interested I'll attach some photos of my progress from the last couple of days, and I'll try to be detailed about the setup.

IMG_3108.jpg

As I mentioned, this is an LQ9 out of a 2004 Cadillac Escalade. I chose this over the LQ4 as it has flat-topped pistons giving it a higher compression ratio. I've got an LS9 camshaft in the engine with upgraded pushrods, rocker arm bearings, and valve springs. I used a center-sump oil pan from Sikky (needed an LS1 windage tray to fit the pickup tube). Using this pan I was able to clear the steering center link. As for K member clearance, I only had to beat the frame with a sledgehammer for an hour.
IMG_3113.jpg

Here is one of the motor mounts I built. This was my first time welding so go easy.
IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3099.jpg

As you can see I've used the factory transmission mount. I cut out the center section to give room for my new transmission and welded some reinforcements.
IMG_3104.jpg

I went with a Tremec TR3550 transmission and a 621 SBC bell housing, and the mounting holes only had to move a few inches forward.
IMG_3110.jpg

In order to get the 3-4 degree driveline angle I needed, cutting up the floor (and chopping a few ears off the transmission) was necessary.

I've still got plenty of learning and work ahead of me which I'll continue to post about in the future.

keep posting. nice welds/ you sure your a rookie?
Haha, I did two practice beads on scrap metal beforehand, but yes that was my first time welding. The beads in that pic are probably the best ones I did on the car. The others didn't turn out as good.

No that’s an upgrade haha
only to a purist and while I RESPECT certain cars for what they are . this car will be bad *** from a hobby standpoint if done well.
honestly if i went to a car show and saw this car and its twin with a hemi in it. Iwould be drawn more to this. its not a matter of right or wrong its about skills and imagination and bringing that to reality that interests me

its not a matter of right or wrong its about skills and imagination and bringing that to reality that interests me
Well said, I agree completely. I wanted a reliable and fast car, and while I could give it a 318 or even a Hemi, I think an LS is a lot more unique at least in the Mopar world.

-
Back