1966/'69 A100 Twins Build

-
Roof mostly welded on. Not use to 99F here so I’m done for the day. Tomorrow finished welding, blasting touch ups and lot of epoxy primer will be thrown on! The accident in the RH side put this bulge in the side panel that I found recently. It was a BEAR to get to shrunk and knocked down but it is ready for a quick media blast, epoxy and some filler.

IMG_4947.jpeg

IMG_4948.jpeg

IMG_4949.jpeg

IMG_4950.jpeg

IMG_4951.jpeg

IMG_4952.jpeg

Wow those Black Diamond blocks cut flat and fast.I like them. I gotta get this on the Rotisserie where I don’t have to be a contortionist.

IMG_4966.jpeg

IMG_4967.jpeg

IMG_4968.jpeg

IMG_4969.jpeg

Looking good Jim! I wish I had your skill set. I’m enjoying this build thread!

Couple more hours in cool of the morning and the side is basically shaped. Don’t bust your butt with a block here. Careful “X” movements of a DA that is kept flat and a straight edge and shape template can get the panel close enough for final high build and blocking. Also the template works great to flow out the filler. Note the tape so cleanup is simple.

IMG_4972.jpeg

IMG_4973.jpeg

IMG_4974.jpeg

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

IMG_4977.jpeg

IMG_4978.jpeg

IMG_4979.jpeg

Jim, you get more amazing with your talents on every build, I like others envy your skill set.

Hate creating projects to work on a project but it is time to get this on the Rotisserie. Stop by the metal shop tomorrow and get some square tubing to weld to my bumper bolt plates I made today.

Also did some careful blocking to see how close I am. Needs a skim coat.

IMG_4996.jpeg

IMG_4997.jpeg

IMG_4998.jpeg

IMG_4999.jpeg

IMG_5002.jpeg

IMG_4995.jpeg

Hate creating projects to work on a project but it is time to get this on the Rotisserie. Stop by the metal shop tomorrow and get some square tubing to weld to my bumper bolt plates I made today.

Also did some careful blocking to see how close I am. Needs a skim coat.

View attachment 1716112587

View attachment 1716112588

View attachment 1716112589

View attachment 1716112590

View attachment 1716112591

View attachment 1716112592

That's some serious progress in the last few weeks. Good stuff!

How bad does that epoxy clog up the sand paper when you block it like that?

That's some serious progress in the last few weeks. Good stuff!

How bad does that epoxy clog up the sand paper when you block it like that?

SPI epoxy has etching properties (spray over flash rust it doesn't care), UV protection and sands like 2K. Could not use anything but.

Last edited:
SPI epoxy has etching properties, UV protection and sands like 2K. Could not use anything but.
How do you get on at night ....does the project A100 live outside with covers....or do you push it inside each night.

Curious given your amazing weather...although I guess you get dew in the mornings?

How do you get on at night ....does the project A100 live outside with covers....or do you push it inside each night.

Curious given your amazing weather...although I guess you get dew in the mornings?

This one is outside all the time with no covers... the garage is full!!! No we rarely (never?) have dew in the morning in the high desert. The summer rainy season is starting so I am going to have to start planning much more carefully now. I had media blasted metal bare for the last 2 months... can't do that for the next 2-3 months now.

Last edited:

Did you ever find those retainer clips for the ball studs on the rear of the seats? I was digging through the '66 today and noticed they are actually in that truck.. I don't have the ball studs though.

Did you ever find those retainer clips for the ball studs on the rear of the seats? I was digging through the '66 today and noticed they are actually in that truck.. I don't have the ball studs though.
No....never got the retainer clips - I saw in the FSM that they look like small square saddles with a hole approx 3/8" or so.

If you get stuck for a rails - I have this pair that I will never use. I looked at the studs and thought they must be for a different model year. I wouldn't be allowed to use them here anyway according to our 'Low Volume Build Vehicle' rules. Seats need to be fixed - and the R clips only just qualify if on the rear.

An excerpt from my model year 1968 FSM....

1688952354600.png

Which oddly enough still looks different to what my vehicle came to me with.

An excerpt from my model year 1968 FSM....

View attachment 1716112611

Which oddly enough still looks different to what my vehicle came to me with.

So I just picked up a seat from a '69 van and it has that setup exactly. Between the 2 trucks and parts I have at least 4 different seat track/attachment configurations now.

'R' Clips hook-up for front seat arms - as I received it.....

20230710_132737.jpg

Probably not right either....but I like the idea.

I'm not even sure if the tracks I received with my seats are original to those seats.

Seats are currently away being re-covered......I can't wait to see them. :lol:

Looks like you have bits and pieces from everything available. Bit of a mess really.

-
Back