1966/'69 A100 Twins Build

-
Kill the rust. I only striped and sanded the inside of the roof structure. Leave it outside for a week, you will know where you didn’t kill the rust. Blasting it tomorrow, that will kill it.

IMG_4733.jpeg

IMG_4734.jpeg

Is there such a thing as a good day blasting? Epoxy tomorrow and the roof is going on. Frustrating the rust on the sides where the panels were overlapped.

IMG_4736.jpeg

IMG_4737.jpeg

IMG_4738.jpeg

IMG_4739.jpeg

IMG_4740.jpeg

IMG_4742.jpeg

IMG_4741.jpeg

Just leave the top tin off, get yourself a Rat Fink suit and a shifter about 6' long and be a trendsetter! LOL....only people our age will understand WTH I'm talking about!

:rofl:

Plugging along. Tomorrow a bit of filler to clean up the spot welds and patches along the upper roof trim then it is time to weld the roof back on. Shot the rear corners with SEM undercoating to help disguise the rust pits (that were blasted clean), note this is over the epoxy. Only epoxy primer touches bare metal.

IMG_4747.jpeg

IMG_4748.jpeg

IMG_4749.jpeg

IMG_4750.jpeg

IMG_4751.jpeg

IMG_4752.jpeg

Plugging along. Tomorrow a bit of filler to clean up the spot welds and patches along the upper roof trim then it is time to weld the roof back on. Shot the rear corners with SEM undercoating to help disguise the rust pits (that were blasted clean), note this is over the epoxy. Only epoxy primer touches bare metal.

View attachment 1716099740

View attachment 1716099741

View attachment 1716099742

View attachment 1716099743

View attachment 1716099744

View attachment 1716099745
Great progress! What's you go-to epoxy?

At least 4 restorations stripped from these doors. Once the sun gets lower will blast it.

IMG_4755.jpeg

IMG_4756.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4759.jpeg

IMG_4760.jpeg

IMG_4753.jpeg

WOW Jim, you are proving again that the impossible just takes a while longer. Terrific metal fab & workmanship. Looking great.

Apparently the best 67 and up doors I have are from a Sportsman Custom Van. Two rows of trim holes and holes for a lower inner door panel. The speaker holes are not factory and will be fixed along with the trim holes welded up to do it the right way. A couple dents to fix but overall not bad doors.

IMG_4764.jpeg

IMG_4765.jpeg

IMG_4766.jpeg

IMG_4767.jpeg

IMG_4768.jpeg

IMG_4763.jpeg

Exterior door holes welded up, use nail heads as fillers to weld to minimize shrinkage. Doors aligned and a couple hinges and holes modified a bit to get the best alignment. Need to go to town today to get metal to weld up the speaker hacks.

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

i'm surprised you don't cut repair patches from any of the 'won't be used' panels you have jim? nice period correct steel of the exact thickness required. :thumbsup:
neil.

I am in some places. It depends on my mood and if there are curves I don’t want to try to match

Fabulous Floorboard Monday. A100 has rust free floorboards now and I started to puzzle together how to finish up the mess (spray foam, previous accident repair, total rust out) behind the front wheel wheel and rocker panel.

IMG_4791.jpeg

IMG_4792.jpeg

IMG_4793.jpeg

IMG_4794.jpeg

IMG_4795.jpeg

your going a great job on these , do you do side work ? lol . like you have time , lol .

the advantage of 'side work' when retired is you can pick and choose. i like to do the fab work like you've been doing so far on the truck. to me that's the 'easy' bit that not many want to do but is fairly straight forward. the time consuming paint prep, parts sourcing/cleaning and careful reassembly is then passed to the owner to complete.
neil.

Notice no fancy tools were used or injured in the making of this patch. Used my patented English (mopar) wheel to shape some metal for the side. Spent a few hours to make a jig to hammer the seam edge where it meets the fender. Used the jig to go back and tweak the shape of the rest of the metal to fit the jig with the MOPAR shaping Wheel. Blasted all the black rust from the inside of the rocker box. Need to shape and fit the lower rear patch and weld them together before spraying epoxy primer everywhere inside the rocker. Then time to fit and weld in the patch. The dog has the right idea. I’m done.

IMG_4799.jpeg

IMG_4800.jpeg

IMG_4801.jpeg

IMG_4802.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4804.jpeg

IMG_4805.jpeg

IMG_4806.jpeg

IMG_4796.jpeg

the best bodyman that ever crossed by pop body shop door , had a burlap sack for a tool bag and within that sack was hard *** blocks of wood and some stones and body files . he did amazing work all by hand working the metal , ''didn't like bondo dust one bit '' as i recall him saying . and as the weather changed , he was on his way .

-
Back