1966 Barracuda engine swap to a 340 Six Pack

-
Yes the intake and carbs will work on any LA small block. I don't think they bolt on Magnum heads. but are some different numbers for the 340 carbs and the 440 carbs in maybe the center carbs are the same but the end carbs are different numbers because of the size of the engine and metering plates in the end carbs

Yes the intake and carbs will work on any LA small block. I don't think they bolt on Magnum heads. but are some different numbers for the 340 carbs and the 440 carbs in maybe the center carbs are the same but the end carbs are different numbers because of the size of the engine and metering plates in the end carbs

Perfect, thank you hemi446. I was pretty sure. The carbs, if I'm not mistaken, should be numbered 4790 outsides and 4792 for the center. Moving on to my next question, are the 340 and 440 air cleaner the same size? I tried doing a little google search however people are more worried for height clearance (probably because they bought the right one for the right setup). Only reason I ask is because I can find a lot more six pack air cleaners for "440 big blocks" than I can for the 340. And with more results = various pricing = cheaper ones.

Also, can anyone can identify the heads for me? Previous owner told me they were j heads with 2.02 for the intake and 1.60 exhaust. I know the "3418" is correct for a 340 however the 1 F that follows? I am totally bewildered on that.

once again, thanks everyone for the help. Really appreciate it

Ive got a quick question hopefully someone can answer me. If I'm not mistaken, a 340 six pack set up should fit on any year 340 correct? I know they came out 70-71 with the six pack (i think). So does the set up work on earlier 340s? Like the 67 ive got? Or is there something that varies year to year? I mean really what would change (if it does) would be the intake since the carbs are the same between 340s and 440s.. right?

Man I've still got a lot to learn... and a six pack set up to search and buy..

Yes you can use the 6 pack setup on your early 340,

A little elbow grease goes a long way...

20161224_171702_zps6vhzdjhi.jpg

20161224_171734_zpskyxm053w.jpg

20161224_171713_zpsl6eg3htz.jpg

Last edited:
Got me, what I think at least, a sweet deal on this set up!! Everything is original off a 70 challenger 340. Edelbrock intake (I checked numbers and they are correct for a 340 intake). All carbs were rebuilt and cleaned. Comes with all the linkages, fuel lines, and pretty much everything you see in the photo. A little over a grand for it all. What do you guys think??

Sorry photos are a little blurry.. those were the ones used to advertise, I'll post good photos once it arrives.

Gotta get me the air cleaner set up now

20161228_150608_zpshbddbavh.png

20161228_150632_zps9tkpvpye.png

20161228_150655_zpss2pnsvjg.png

Ive got a lot a parts here in a bag.. i have a very limited idea as to whats here and no idea whats missing.. anyone can help out?

20170106_120429.jpg

Hey guys! Its been a while since ive been here but im back to share with yall a solid deal ive landed (I hope)!!

Ive been searching for the 8 3/4 rear end for a while now and finally bought one i think is just right.

Its complete with drum brakes, axles, center, housing and even some brake lines. Its a 489 case, 3.23 gears (open), left hand studs on the driver side, 5 x 4in bolt pattern, and almost 52" across from flange to flange.

It came out of an early 60s dart (cant remember year right now) and everything is moving smoothly. Looks like itll go right in as it sits lol. Of course ill be going through it to make sure and clean it up a bit... brakes need overhaul too.

Here are some photos:
20170313_201504_zpsvuhc3mrg.jpg

20170313_201511_zps0aeskiif.jpg

20170313_201525_zpsk4voj8ml.jpg

20170313_201542_zps8qtwcqac.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
Excellent thread FrankReal! I have plans to do the exact same thing you are doing. Swapping my 318 for a 340. I already have a 727 with a Trans Go shift kit in it, so I am headed the right way. I will keep your thread in mind and try to keep you updated on my swap.

Excellent thread FrankReal! I have plans to do the exact same thing you are doing. Swapping my 318 for a 340. I already have a 727 with a Trans Go shift kit in it, so I am headed the right way. I will keep your thread in mind and try to keep you updated on my swap.
Awesome! Thank you Gandy Dancer!

Recently I haven't had time to do much but I didn't touch my Barracuda for that reason. So I can still hop in and cruise around if I wanted to ;). This has been the latest thing I've done, which was redo all the seals on the 8 3/4 rear as well as the brakes.

20170520_221432.jpg
20170520_221438.jpg
20170520_221425.jpg

Slowly but surely!

That rear end is looking nice. Where did you find yours?

I got it on eBay lol. I was searching for a little while until I saw this bad boy show up for what I believe was a good price.

After I recieved it, I wire brushed it as best as I could, removed all old brake components, redid seals, and painted it as best as I could. Afterwards added 3 layers of clear which I don't think is enough but it's all I had at the moment. Came out pretty nice IMO.

The six pack intake will fit any year 273, 318, 340 or 360. No, big block carbs and intake are different. The small blocks used smaller carbs, and big block intakes are totally different (may just be smaller center carb, cant remember). 1970 AAR Cuda and TA Challenger were the only thing to use 340-6 from the factory.

The six pack intake will fit any year 273, 318, 340 or 360. No, big block carbs and intake are different. The small blocks used smaller carbs, and big block intakes are totally different (may just be smaller center carb, cant remember). 1970 AAR Cuda and TA Challenger were the only thing to use 340-6 from the factory.

How about the air cleaner? Any difference between a BB and SB? Are they interchangeable?

How about the air cleaner? Any difference between a BB and SB? Are they interchangeable?
Well factory six pack (small block) cars were limited to AAR Cuda and TA challenger which were 1970 340's. I think both used the same air cleaner assembly. Only other option I can think of would be E body shaker scoop with 6 pack base. There may be other stuff available aftermarket that I am not aware of. For your application the TA style base should work well.
Im quite sure the carb spacing on the big block intake is identical so no reason why there should be a different air cleaner for BB vs SB.

only one aftermarket type i've seen works . is cast alum with ribs on top and says tri-power on it . its an oval type . another member here used it on his 6 pck'd 340 early a body . he had to make an air element to fit it from a store bought one . and recently a thread on a repaired tri-power one with some power coating done , and there is those single units , cal customs styles used in this thread . never tried it but the bb chevy's had a triangle shaped one . it might fit , so chevy chrysler corps all employed 6 pcks with holley 'd' shaped mouths . all had very close to right on carb . ford employed 3 d shaped mouthed holley carbs as well . but there diffenent carbs and yes the spacing is different also , who would have guessed , that ford would be different , lol . but i do think ford was the first to use the holley two barrel d shaped mouth carbs , 390 fe tripowered t birds in the early 60's , then the 406 fe . chysler and chey started using holley d shaped mouth carbs in the later 60's . and chevy first there with the 396 mark ? tri carb motored , dodge then plymouth , not sure if chrysler offer it up on their hp models . so happy hunting for an air cleaner to fit your new 6 pack package . i'm using mine on my 64 barracuda 340 6 pck 4spd 8 3/4 kh disc mod .

-
Back