1966 'Cuda Hood

-

RogerK

Reaction score
I guess the original thread got lost.....Sooooooooooooo I'll just repost it!

I'm taking the Raylle hood from a 72 'Cuda and graphing it onto my 1966 Barracuda. Start with one free hood with a Snorkel scoop and a hole and go from there.

The Hood
hood1.jpg

15 Min. later
hood2.jpg

16 Min. later (nah!)
hood3.jpg

All filler and fiberglass gone.
hood4.jpg

The hole is filled.
hood5.jpg

A little filler.
hood6.jpg

Some cheap primer to protect my handi work.
hood7.jpg

Started at 12:00 noon and finished at 7:00 PM. Not too shabby!

I got started on the hood again today with some more body work prior cutting the skin off.

Off comes the bulges.
hood8.jpg

1st trial fit. Hmmmmmmm. needs some trimming.
hood9.jpg

Thats a little better but more trimming needed.
hood10.jpg

Final trim done, hood cleaned and bulges centered for welding.
hood11.jpg

Spot welding done for now.
hood12.jpg

I need some new grinding wheels before I can get more done. The bulges added more weight to the hood than I expected. The hood springs hold the hood open, but a good stiff wind may close it too easily. I'll have to look at a solution for that.

Stay Tuned! :cheers:

Im really anxious to see it when its all done!!!! I say just add a prop rod of a junkyard car to solve the issue of the extra weight. A purist wont even notice it to complain, they will be too busy bending your ear about the hood :)

I like it already, I always thought in the back of my mind it would be cool and you proved it. Very cool and can't wait to see it finished.

I have often thought something like this would look good, glad someone else had the same thought and decided to do it, cant wait to see the finished result

Got all the welds ground and started the filler work. I have much more finish work to do, but here is the current progress. The more I get done the more I like it!

Thats good 'cause its too late to turn back now!

hood13.jpg

hood14.jpg

hood15.jpg

Are you going to cut out the other hood from the bottom?My buddy did about the same thing w/ a 70 duster good, and it helped save weight when he did the cut out.
Yours is looking sweet!! Nice to see the flatter hood cars get some love.

Are you going to cut out the other hood from the bottom?My buddy did about the same thing w/ a 70 duster good, and it helped save weight when he did the cut out.
Yours is looking sweet!! Nice to see the flatter hood cars get some love.

That my be an option to lighten the hood some. Thanks for the props!

I am happy to say I'm done with the filler. I use way too much and end up sanding most of it back off, but I'm getting better. I am waiting for a set of hood inserts I got from ebay. They need to be refinished but they have the inserts. Maybe I'll make some custom inserts to match the '66 french fry cutter grille. How cool would that be!

Rough bodywork done, thank goodness!
hood16.jpg

A nice coat of high build surfacer/primer.
hood17.jpg

Head on!
hood18.jpg

Nice! I think If I was doing it I would have moved them out toward the side just a bit. But it looks Great!

Its looking GREAT!! Im going to have an extra hood here shortly and had been trying to decide what to with it. I cant wait to see full car pics from different angles when you get it out of the garage. AWESOME JOB!!

I like it, should look cool with the inserts. Did you remove any material from the 66 hood before welding the scoops on? Nice job, looks smooth, not all booggerd up!

Nice! I think If I was doing it I would have moved them out toward the side just a bit. But it looks Great!

Thanks. I had thought of moving them outwards some, but the center of the hood is higher than the outside of the scoops. I figured it would have been alot more work to move them.

I like it, should look cool with the inserts. Did you remove any material from the 66 hood before welding the scoops on? Nice job, looks smooth, not all booggerd up!

Thanks. No, I didn't remove any of the original hood first and am regretting it. The hood is much heavier now, I'll have to cut from underneath to remove some.

Just becareful when doing so, hate to see you ruin your work. You will shed some weight from removing some of the center bracing, I removed some on mine for the hole I cut, maybe 2-3 lbs came off, not much but it will help.

That looks great. Can't wait to see it finished up with the inserts!!!!!

I thought I all ready made a comment here on your hood :read2:
You sure have it looking real good Roger =P~:cheers:, I did a truck hood about the same way with a 73 roadrunner hood and it was heavier, the front spring would barely pick it up.
I enjoy seeing some creativity here, Thank you for sharing :happy10:
here is mine a friend and I did and its going on a ramcharger for the first time :cheers: it's been on three of my truck in 15 years

Attachments

• Memike2010 fun 056.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 513
I thought I all ready made a comment here on your hood :read2:
You sure have it looking real good Roger =P~:cheers:, I did a truck hood about the same way with a 73 roadrunner hood and it was heavier, the front spring would barely pick it up.
I enjoy seeing some creativity here, Thank you for sharing :happy10:
here is mine a friend and I did and its going on a ramcharger for the first time :cheers: it's been on three of my truck in 15 years

Thanks. I had looked at the 73 RoadRunner hood as being a posibility but settled on keping the Barracuda all Barracuda! That hood would look awesome on that truck!

Thanks. I had looked at the 73 RoadRunner hood as being a posibility but settled on keping the Barracuda all Barracuda! That hood would look awesome on that truck!
You made the right choice Rodger :cheers: And thank you 8)

Looks awsome, prefer home grown work, don't care for cubic money build by pros somewhere, have a lot more respect for the owner
Dodge29

-
Back