1966 Dart 383 Exhaust Manifolds

-

D&R Const

Reaction score
Hello, new to this site. I have a 1966 Dart 4dr, Slant 6, 3 on the column. Engine is tired and smokey. I have two 383 engines sitting in the garage and have thought about rebuilding one pretty close to stock with a modern cam, something with a smooth idle as this car is just a Family cruiser that we like to cram into and cruise the county roads in. I have not been able to find any good answers on what to do about exhaust headers/manifolds/ shorty headers that would fit this application. I don't really want to do headers on this car but will if that is the only option. I plan to leave the car a 3 on the column.

How about none of the above? Nothing fits a 383 in these chassis except fenderwells and maybe stock Hi-po logs IF you mill the driver side about 7 degrees so its sits closer to the block and then figure out the mounting (ie. bent studs) or go small U-joint for steering coupler and shim the heck out of the Streetmasters or Schumacher driver side motor mount. Did it, and few more here have too. Its not pretty...a 360 is alot easier but I get the big block bug.

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any pics or your setup? I don't mind modifying the steering shaft. I was considering building a new shaft with a u joint if necessary. I just assumed to put one of these 383's to use already. When you say hi-po manifolds, what year and chassis are you referring to?

roadrunner style with the #7 coming out behind the mounting bolt, Hi-Po design. Sort of an upswept design. My pic is somewhere in here. search for me and 451 in a 65 Barracuda. Mine was a 400 based 451. HI-po logs was the easierst and closest drop in to any option. Only the steering was the gotcha and if you can sneak it past the manifold with a small coupler, your golden. I think I even hogged out the steering box holes so I could get another 1/4 inch.

And the 3 speed won't hold up to a 383's torque. The 9 1/2" clutch either.

Hello, after recently doing the same basic swap (440 in 65 dart) without much know how in the dodge tip and trick dept. I would of done a lot of things different.first the schumaker mounts do physically bolt the engine in place, it sat pretty low, too low to fit the two inch hooker fenderwells.make a set of elephant ears out of 1/4 inch steel.then dont go with the two inch hookers get the 1-7/8 or try the hp manifolds.....im now in the process of moving the master cylinder because it hit the aftermarket valve cover the factory ones cleared fine.it is doable just takes time...take sum pics i wana see.

-
Back